Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-30-2018, 10:01 AM   #51

Garage
I’ve used mine 3 times to help others twice and change a trailer tire. I’m keeping it for straightening the penthouse bows. Scummy set me up with a big bottle jack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 03-30-2018, 10:13 AM   #52

It's usually possible to figure a way to make the Highlift work, but the chance of body damage or injury is high. It's high enough that the jack is at the bottom of my list of required equipment, but you can never have too many options out on the trail.

Funny story: As a young child, I watched my dad greasing the wheel bearings on my moms car by jacking it up with the bumper jack. In those days the jacks worked on the same principal as the highlift. A few days later, I wanted to jack up moms car too, so I got out the jack and ended up with the wheel way up in the air at the top of the jacks stroke, but couldn't get it to come down so I gave up and went in for lunch. Later, mom needed to go to the store, so we got in and started to pull out of the driveway. After the car fell off the jack with a huge crash, I was immediately busted, she knew for sure what ever had happened was my fault even though she had no idea what I had done. I got in trouble a lot as a little kid, (there was the time I started to paint moms car with a brush too) but all I knew was that I wanted to work on cars.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 10:28 AM   #53

maybe a dumb question: On our vans, especially lifted/4wd/heavy - How can the Hi Lift be used to change a tire/wheel? What lifting point is used?
Old 03-30-2018, 11:17 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1der View Post
maybe a dumb question: On our vans, especially lifted/4wd/heavy - How can the Hi Lift be used to change a tire/wheel? What lifting point is used?
With a stout bumper you may be able to lift a wheel if you have a place to safely put the jack using the accessory bumper hook. Another option is the accessory wheel attachment strap that inserts hooks into the wheel it self and connects to the jack. Then lift the wheel and place blocks under the axle, remove the jack and pull the wheel.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 11:39 AM   #55

Thxs Jeff.
Yep, that is what I thought. Lift wheel with hook/strap, blocks under axle, etc. Bumper is not happening on our van but I could see that as attractive on a Jeep.
Old 03-30-2018, 11:44 AM   #56

arctictraveller is correct.

Note though that Aluminess says you should not attach a hi lift jack to their bumpers. The Aluminess hooks are meant for towing and winching, but apparently not for a vertical lift.
Marcel Huijser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 11:59 AM   #57

I second the endorsement of the Powerbuilt unijack. Really stable, simple, and thus safe. Only downside is that isn't very compact for storing in a vehicle.
Quigley with Agile RIP, 6.0 PSD
WhitH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 05:12 PM   #58

For a Sprinter, one of the attractive features of the Van Compass sliders is that they have pockets built into them at each end specifically designed to receive a High Lift jack. I have blown and changed a tire on the trail, the combination works well and keeps me clear of doing anything under the van.
Old 03-30-2018, 07:02 PM   #59

Fitz - a function of the unibody construction 😊
Old 03-30-2018, 11:47 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitz View Post
The handle for the High Lift jack is a piece of 1” schedule 10 pipe. I replaced my handle with a longer piece of 1” schedule 40 pipe and the added leverage makes a big difference in lifting these heavy vans.
Exactly. My accessory pipe is 45” long for the 60” Hi-Lift, makes a yuge difference in ease of use. Rock on, Archimedes!

I wouldn’t utilize the Hi-Lift for changing a tire, got the OEM and 6 ton bottle jacks for that, but to raise a stuck wheel with a Lift-Mate in order to insert MAXTRAX or equivalent underneath, it’s pretty damn useful, particularly if the vehicle is buried to an extent that getting underneath the axle is not possible. Clamping, spreading and winching capabilities are added bonuses. Choice of jack type all depends on how and where the van is going to be used and how much gear & weight one is willing to haul around. Many great ideas here, to each his own.
Jack K is offline   Reply With Quote