Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-31-2018, 11:25 AM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack K View Post
if the vehicle is buried to an extent that getting underneath the axle is not possible. .
I completely agree that they can be useful in some cases, assuming one has suitable jacking points or when using as a winch or spreader. One good lifting point could be the hitch reciever, but most vans are probably too heavy to lift both wheels at once. As for lifting a tire when buried up to the axle, having never done that, I wonder how you prevent the jack from tipping into the body causing damage as you lift?

Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 11:42 AM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctictraveller View Post
I completely agree that they can be useful in some cases, assuming one has suitable jacking points or when using as a winch or spreader. One good lifting point could be the hitch reciever, but most vans are probably too heavy to lift both wheels at once. As for lifting a tire when buried up to the axle, having never done that, I wonder how you prevent the jack from tipping into the body causing damage as you lift?
Also, if buried that far, seems to me the ground is going to be loose/soft, so a large / strong surface area is needed to spread the lifting pressure. I guess the spare tire/wheel could be used as the “large” surface area??
Old 03-31-2018, 12:08 PM   #63
brp

I’m considering Truck Claws and I really wonder, if used with extenders, they could lift the wheel(s) out the hole. If so, it makes the Claws that much better as they are capable of one of the main uses of a High Lift.

The videos I have seen seem to suggest they can lift a vehicle out, but our vans are heavier than the vehicles I’ve seen demonstrated.
brp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 06:54 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by brp View Post
I’m considering Truck Claws and I really wonder, if used with extenders, they could lift the wheel(s) out the hole. The videos I have seen seem to suggest they can lift a vehicle out, but our vans are heavier than the vehicles I’ve seen demonstrated.
I imagine they could get you out of a hole with the tire still touching the ground and supporting some or most of the weight, but I have serious doubts that an aluminum extrusion would be strong enough to lift an unsupported wheel on a heavy vehicle.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 07:16 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctictraveller View Post
...As for lifting a tire when buried up to the axle, having never done that, I wonder how you prevent the jack from tipping into the body causing damage as you lift?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1der View Post
Also, if buried that far, seems to me the ground is going to be loose/soft, so a large / strong surface area is needed to spread the lifting pressure. I guess the spare tire/wheel could be used as the “large” surface area??
Having not had the fun experience of spinning a wheel in up to the axle either, can't say I've personally extracted myself that way. But I did lift the rear and front wheels each separately with the Hi-Lift & Lift-Mate this weekend to level out the van for camping in the Mojave this past weekend on uneven ground. Raised each wheel a good 6", high enough to stack rocks underneath. My van is heavy. The jack cleared the body by plenty of distance. Being stuck would be similar, assuming the vehicle is not listing severely to one side. There are aftermarket accessory metal and plastic support bases to distribute weight on loose ground.

Lifting by the wheels with the Lift-Mate is the only way I'd try raising one of these vans with this type of jack. There are no other support points which would be safe enough to take the weight, as others have noted.
Jack K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 03:13 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by marret View Post
Checked with Agile Offroad. They just got a new order of 24 of the adapters in stock. Expensive at $89.99, but I'm going to get a jack and adapter.
I am heading to Agile tomorrow to pick one of these up. I can pick up extra for someone not local. It will be about $100 after tax and then shipping on top of that. Not cheap but if you want one let me know.

Sent from my STV100-1 using Tapatalk
Old 04-06-2018, 03:25 PM   #67
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rltilley View Post
I am heading to Agile tomorrow to pick one of these up. I can pick up extra for someone not local. It will be about $100 after tax and then shipping on top of that. Not cheap but if you want one let me know.

Not that you need it shipped, but will Agile ship if I call them directly?

Herb
Old 04-06-2018, 03:28 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoHauler View Post
Not that you need it shipped, but will Agile ship if I call them directly?

Herb
Not sure on that. I can ask when I'm there tomorrow.

Old 04-06-2018, 10:06 PM   #69

The H1 jack and Agile adaptor comes out to about $170. I think the price for the small safe jack kit is about the same. Anyuone want to comment on the benefits of one over the other?
Old 04-06-2018, 10:29 PM   #70

Van Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikracer View Post
The H1 jack and Agile adaptor comes out to about $170. I think the price for the small safe jack kit is about the same. Anyuone want to comment on the benefits of one over the other?
I have the safe jack along with the jack stand kit. I had an issue with it once where it was a bit too tall to get under the axle. I had to dig out a bit on firm ground to be able to get the jack under the axle. The H1 jack looks to be lower and should be able to get under the axle better. I'll be carrying both most likely. I don't have an H1 jack to compare side by side yet.