Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-31-2011, 06:13 AM   #21
NRL

Send a message via Yahoo to NRL
Re: Vans such large targets for the police

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones_GSXR
I will tackle the Laser Jammer issue first. They do not work. Ask any Leo and he will tell you. It would not be legal for them to sell you something that brodcasted on that wavelength. Also it is not like the old Radar guns that had a Huge spread. Lasers only widen to about 15ft at close to a mile away. The Leo is not going to gun you that far away. They will wait until you are within 1/2mi or so They are also point and shoot. The Leo looks through a scope and aims like a gun. Your headlight or plate is what is aimed at most of the time. This is why I laugh at the "Laser Detectors" they will go off when you are gunned and then the Leo already knows your speed so to late.
The detection part is correct, not enough time to respond. But the good Laser diffusers are supposed to represent your approaching speed a bit lower. So he would be unsure of the actual speed over.. Do they write what they see on the guns, or is guessed?

Warn12kWinch,FFloater,LSlip,Pwtrx Locker 4.10 305x70x16 ToyoMTs,Eagle Alloys,Stove,4CF Ppane Fridge, Air CompTank,Supersprings, Bilstein Shocks,Deavers,CastIron Diff Case, Bullet Proof ReBuilt Transmission, Tubulator DeRale Trans Pan Cover, SSExhaust, KyoceraSolar, Tripplite UPS, 8D AGM, TivoHD, 24in HDLED
95 FJ80 ARB/Kaymar/Emu
2005 AMG CL65 691hp 875tq
NRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 10:00 AM   #22

Garage

Veijo,Your comments on the Maricopa County Sheriffs office are uncalled for.They may have some problems that need to be addressed but they do a pretty could job in difficult times.Do not beleive everything you see in the news.The liberals in Washington have been on a witch hunt since sb1070 was passed.Since they cannot or will not do their jobs they need to attack anyone trying to do it for them.These recent allegations of racial profiling are a joke.Having many family members in the Phoenix PD they will tell you why so many Hispanics get stopped.It's because if you drive around Phoenix you will see that most of the cars that have vehicle violations are driven by Hispanics.This in part is a low income problem as well as a cultural problem.As anyone who has been to Mexico will tell you vehicle maintance is not a priority.This results in a greater number of Hispanics being stopped for vehicle violations.Now when stopped if you cannot speak English or you drivers license is not good is it not resonable to ask your immigration status?Those of us who have lived in Arizona for a long time have seen the damage that unchecked illegal imigration has done to our state.Sheriff Joe is not perfect but it least he's doing something.
Old 12-31-2011, 10:41 AM   #23

Give me a break! Joe Arpaio is a flaming ******* and has been for a long time before sb1070 was passed.

Flame wars are frowned upon in this forum and Mexican immigration is not a proper subject for it so this will be my last comment on the issue.
Old 12-31-2011, 10:56 AM   #24
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viejo
Give me a break! Joe Arpaio is a flaming ******* and has been for a long time before sb1070 was passed.

Flame wars are frowned upon in this forum and Mexican immigration is not a proper subject for it so this will be my last comment on the issue.
Viejo, you were the first to "call someone out" even if they're not a member of this forum (Maricopa Sherrifs Dept). Then someone else presents an alternative opinion and you're the one who took to using profanity. If anyone needs to prevent fanning a flame war, I think it's you.

Herb
Old 12-31-2011, 11:39 AM   #25

Viejo I believe you would think differently if you were a white family who lived and owned property along the border in AZ. Every other country takes their borders a lot more seriously than we do. We should defend our borders better. Maybe you dont like pink prison uniforms?
Old 12-31-2011, 02:29 PM   #26
Site Team

KTAR.com
Quote:
Sheriff Joe Arpaio apologized Monday to victims for his office's botched investigations of a large number of sex-crimes cases as the tough-talking lawman faced a growing outcry over mismanagement in his office.

Arpaio held a news conference to discuss the investigations in the city of El Mirage a day after The Associated Press ran an article outlining some of the bungled cases.
The Hill
Quote:
Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.) said Friday that Arizona Sheriff Joe Arpaio needs to address the charges of discrimination and negligence against him.

"I'm not prepared to say that Sheriff Arpaio should resign, but what I am prepared to say is that I am astonished that there hasn't been more outcry about the failure of these investigations," McCain told Phoenix's 3TV.

More than 400 cases have been reopened in Maricopa County following allegations that the sheriff's department failed to follow up on reported sexual abuse, according to CBS News. Some of the cases involved children.

Once I exit Hal, this is what I do.
https://larry.wvnet.edu/~van/pics/lic...late-small.jpg
WWW.WVBIKE.ORG
WVvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 04:38 PM   #27

Look, we all tolerate people with the non-50 floorplan on the forum, I think we can live with having different political views...

Seriously, just try not to take it personal or make it personal if you're going to have heated discussions.

Old 12-31-2011, 07:12 PM   #28

Jeremiah,

You don't really want to start the 50 floorplan vs. walkthrough thing going, do you? There would be blood before it was over.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 08:54 PM   #29
Site Team

The next thing you know, we'll have new gas vs. diesel threads, and then all hell will break loose.

Herb
Old 12-31-2011, 10:16 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by NRL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones_GSXR
I will tackle the Laser Jammer issue first. They do not work. Ask any Leo and he will tell you. It would not be legal for them to sell you something that brodcasted on that wavelength. Also it is not like the old Radar guns that had a Huge spread. Lasers only widen to about 15ft at close to a mile away. The Leo is not going to gun you that far away. They will wait until you are within 1/2mi or so They are also point and shoot. The Leo looks through a scope and aims like a gun. Your headlight or plate is what is aimed at most of the time. This is why I laugh at the "Laser Detectors" they will go off when you are gunned and then the Leo already knows your speed so to late.
The detection part is correct, not enough time to respond. But the good Laser diffusers are supposed to represent your approaching speed a bit lower. So he would be unsure of the actual speed over.. Do they write what they see on the guns, or is guessed?
I don't know about laser diffusers, but jammers do work, I have personally looked at a police LIDAR unit that had been jammed at a manufacturer facility. Now, they report an error code like "DONT POINT AT SUN" or "JAMMED" so if you are the only car on the road, expect to be pulled over.

WRT the motorcycle video, we are not seeing the full context. Why is the bike rolling backwards from the car. If the cop felt the bike was a threat to him, he's got a good reason to draw his gun, and note it wasn't pointed at the rider.

Maybe it was not legit but without seeing what happened right before that, how can we know?

I work closely with a lot of LEOs on missing persons and crime scene evidence searches, and 19/20 of them have been great, good hard working respectful public servants. But there's always one jerk, just like with anything. And it is funny, they talk smack about each other like "those guys over at xxxx are real cowboys and will point their guns at everything".

Now if they guy was not a LEO, that is brandishing and not ok at all.

"A job worth doing is worth doing at least twice."
ANZAC is offline   Reply With Quote