Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-21-2012, 11:15 AM   #41

Re: Water Can 2.5 gal

Thanks for clarifying JoeH, I did mis-read your post about mounting the wheel not the forks. Dare we go over the naming of the "groover". I like it over most set ups because they are self contained and the tank is quite large with easy cleaning. Also, I only have one (with spare tank) that I can use anywhere either camping or on the raft and it is legal along the river where some are prohibited. Anyway, we digress. Saline has a 20mm thru axle I will see what he is doing with his front wheel.

canyonrover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 11:44 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeH
I wonder if many on this forum know the reason your 20ml is called a groover? I trust you have a seat but my groover doesn't fit inside in my RB50 setup.
My "groover" doesn't leave grooves either. I have a RiverBank from Selway Fabrication. I hadn't thought of putting it in the Jerry can holder. I'm usually pretty quiet when it comes time to volunteer it as group gear for an overnight. I'd rather bring a River table and use someone elses groover

Gnarvan 1992 E350 Clubwagon
Advanced 4WD Systems Conversion

Sotar Legend 12.5' X 22" Cataraft
2003 BMW R1150GS-Adventure
2013 BMW R1200GS-Adventure
Gnarvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 08:16 PM   #43
Site Team

Garage

Someone recently posted pics of a water can that didn't come from Spector or Wedco. I lost the link and my searches aren't panning out so I'm hoping someone on the forum may remember the posting. The can had a pouring spout that stores on its side when it isn't in use, IIRC. The spout was on the tank's bottom and it may have had a separate filler on the top. Does any of this ring a bell for anyone?

Life and baseball both sometimes are not fair, but it is how you play the hops that counts.
—Scott Miller, NYT Sports
rionapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 03:31 PM   #44
Site Team

Garage

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnarvan
Why does Aluminess use four round bars across the top for the bike rack. Having the two bars spaced 6" apart is going to be a problem for my older Yakima fork mount bike trays.
That's so the bikes are staggered. Handlebars will be in front of the seat of the other bike and so forth. If you look at a hitch rack like the Yak Holdup you'll notice that they are staggered as well. Most roof mount trays have a fixed location for the brackets and cannot be adjusted along the length of the tray. One rear tire side is typically adjustable to account for differences in bar width but the brackets near the head or front skewer cannot.
Joe,

How do you mount the bikes staggered? I'd like to tie a Yakima fork mount rack to tubes 1 & 3, counting from the left, but the rack won't bend over tube 3 to connect to tube 2. I'm having to use tubes 2 & 3, wasting #s 1 & 4.

On the topic, any ideas about mounting the extra wheels? With 2 MTBs, I'm not able to get the tires mounted between the bikes.

Hope you're finding good trails this summer.

Life and baseball both sometimes are not fair, but it is how you play the hops that counts.
Old 08-04-2012, 10:33 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by rionapo

Joe,

How do you mount the bikes staggered? I'd like to tie a Yakima fork mount rack to tubes 1 & 3, counting from the left, but the rack won't bend over tube 3 to connect to tube 2. I'm having to use tubes 2 & 3, wasting #s 1 & 4.

On the topic, any ideas about mounting the extra wheels? With 2 MTBs, I'm not able to get the tires mounted between the bikes.

Hi Don,

That's the problem with using the Yak or Thule fork mount racks. I've got 1upUSA racks which have an adjustable aluminum tray. So, I don't have to stagger the bikes and there is little or no wheel sticking out past the vehicle sides. I carry the kid's bikes on top of the penthouse in standard fork mount racks. There is still room in between the the two bikes on the Aluminess bumper/bike rack to fit the wheels in standard fork mounts on the inside bars. I don't know if that makes sense or not but I could take some pics tomorrow.

We're currently in Sun Valley, ID doing some biking and heading to Stanley in a couple of days.

I hope you're having a great summer!

Joe
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 09:58 AM   #46
Site Team

Garage

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by rionapo

Joe,

Hi Don,

That's the problem with using the Yak or Thule fork mount racks. I've got 1upUSA racks which have an adjustable aluminum tray. So, I don't have to stagger the bikes and there is little or no wheel sticking out past the vehicle sides. I carry the kid's bikes on top of the penthouse in standard fork mount racks. There is still room in between the the two bikes on the Aluminess bumper/bike rack to fit the wheels in standard fork mounts on the inside bars. I don't know if that makes sense or not but I could take some pics tomorrow.

We're currently in Sun Valley, ID doing some biking and heading to Stanley in a couple of days.

I hope you're having a great summer!

Joe
Makes sense, Joe. I spoke w/Kenny, too, and he said some Yakima racks flex enough to fit over the in-between tube. Mine don't but I think I've figured out a way to get bikes & wheels on the swing arm carrier. This whole bike thing has been an expensive process. We started thinking our hitch mount rack would suffice & added a front hitch for it. No go--madre The van way too long and nestlé imposible yo turn right on tight streets plus it was excruciating watch them dance on the rack. Upgraded the swing arm (anyone need a cargo box sized swing arm?) and thought all was well--until I nailed a bike with a dangling tree branch on the east side of Cinnamon Pass and broke its rack. Hopefully, the latest iteration of racks and swing arms and driver caution will work.

Idaho, huh? Sounds fun.

-d-

Old 08-17-2012, 11:35 PM   #47

hey Don, here's a couple of pics of my setup. I had Aluminess space the bars out a little further so that my ski racks also be centered (credit to dpkwy on that idea). With the 1Up it's easy to position the bikes so that they are also centered on the rear of the van. The con is that the bikes are up pretty high so there is more chance of hitting something and I have to use a step to get them on (not necessary but makes it easier). The pro is that they are high enough that they don't get coated with road grime and dust.

I'm going to use a hole saw and install a coleman water jug spigot on one of my Spectre jugs.
Attached Thumbnails
Beast1.jpg   Beast2.jpg   Beast3.jpg  
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 08:41 AM   #48

Quote:
I'm going to use a hole saw and install a coleman water jug spigot on one of my Spectre jugs.

I'm very interested in how that project turns out. Please keep the forum updated on the Specter mod.

I've got a couple extra Specter water jugs laying around and would like to modify one if your project turns out well.

Gnarvan 1992 E350 Clubwagon
Advanced 4WD Systems Conversion

Sotar Legend 12.5' X 22" Cataraft
2003 BMW R1150GS-Adventure
2013 BMW R1200GS-Adventure
Gnarvan is offline   Reply With Quote