Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-05-2017, 12:47 PM   #1

Garage
Which Hi-Lift jack for SMB?

Wanting to continue to improve my ability to get into trouble. Of the Hi-Lift jacks out there which is good for our SMB's?

Thanks!

Old 07-05-2017, 12:58 PM   #2
Site Team

Garage
The one rated the highest in lifting weight. I've never had to use mine but have on a members van. I have the foot print and the wheel lift. My van is heavy so I'll use other methods to replace a flat. I have the longer version mounted to my front bumper.

You might want to look at this thread:
http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...jack-8660.html

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 02:58 PM   #3

I have found that using a hydraulic bottle jack rated at 5 tons works best to get a corner up to change a tire. I keep several blocks of wood handy to place under the jack to get it to the right height under the axle and off the dirt.
BillPa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 03:30 PM   #4

I agree with the bottle jack. Way easier for CHANGING A TIRE> hi-lift can have other uses though. I carry both.
tortorelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 09:26 PM   #5

I've found the stock jack with wood blocks is fine for changing tires. I do own a high lift, but it's so old and rusted it's useless. There is no doubt that having one can help out in many places where the stock jack won't work, but when you do get one, be carefull. Using it properly is critical, if the handle gets away from you, it can cause serious injury. There are plenty of videos on youtube to see them in action. So, I guess I've been no help with your original question though, sorry...........
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 08:28 AM   #6

Garage
Out of experience, I have carried a Hi-Lift for years and never touched it. They are very difficult to use unless you have dedicated strong mounts to actually lift a heavy vehicle.

That being said I carry an aluminum floor jack and it is far safer and easier to use for 90% of the uses needed. I also carry a heavy duty 60" Hi-Lift/accessories, the stock bottle jack and a set of a-frame screw jacks just in case. I also converted the handle from the floor jack to be used as a shovel with a quick connect head and handle assy.

Scott
Attached Thumbnails
20160318_150740.jpg   20160408_170250.jpg  
REDOVAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 11:43 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb View Post
The one rated the highest in lifting weight....I have the foot print and the wheel lift.
The big plastic foot print deal is a must... If you get stuck, it will be in soft stuff. The footprint spreads the load over a wider area, keep the jack from sinking. The wheel lift strap is also super-handy.

Test it out in your driveway, before you need it, toss in some leather gloves, too, those highlift jacks like to pinch fingers
Old 08-18-2017, 09:03 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDOVAL View Post
Out of experience, I have carried a Hi-Lift for years and never touched it. They are very difficult to use unless you have dedicated strong mounts to actually lift a heavy vehicle.

That being said I carry an aluminum floor jack and it is far safer and easier to use for 90% of the uses needed. I also carry a heavy duty 60" Hi-Lift/accessories, the stock bottle jack and a set of a-frame screw jacks just in case. I also converted the handle from the floor jack to be used as a shovel with a quick connect head and handle assy.

Scott
Sweet set up
Zappo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 09:05 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsBeast View Post
The big plastic foot print deal is a must... If you get stuck, it will be in soft stuff. The footprint spreads the load over a wider area, keep the jack from sinking. The wheel lift strap is also super-handy.

Test it out in your driveway, before you need it, toss in some leather gloves, too, those highlift jacks like to pinch fingers
Does the wheel lift strap make it easier for getting traction boards underneath?
Zappo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 09:42 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo View Post
Does the wheel lift strap make it easier for getting traction boards underneath?
Yes, a traction board or to quickly fill in a rut under your tire (created in the process of getting stuck) with rocks/dirt/downed tree limbs.

Using the Y lift strap, run the hooks through the holes in the wheel, and jacking up the wheel/tire directly, for every inch you jack up, you lift the tire/wheel that same inch. If you jack up your van by say, the bumper, you have jack it up far enough to first unload the suspension, then the tire comes off the ground, which can be 12" on some rigs. There's some good youtube vids on using a highlift, their like the swiss army knife of recovery gear, use as a short pull come-along, split firewood at camp, jaws of life type tool.

I currently carry a highlift, military folding shovel, axe, under the bed. But plan to add brackets to the swing-aways I'm designing, to carry a full size short handled shovel and axe, highlift, outside, where they belong!