Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-03-2009, 12:02 PM   #1

Yakima BasketCase

I’m thinking of putting a Yakima BasketCase (17Lbs.) on the roof, in front of the PH top. I will be using the Yakima crossbars and towers. I’m allowing 18” between the bars and will put light weight items like sleeping bags etc. in it.
This is going on a 2003 Dodge SMB RB. Can anyone think of a reason this would not be a good idea?

Thanks

Langton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 02:44 PM   #2

Re: Yakima BasketCase

Looks?

Actually I would make sure you have plenty of clearance with the PH front, you don't want to catch the rubber strip going up or down.

Otherwise it's a temporary install right, so if any weird issues come up you can always pull it and try something else?
Old 05-03-2009, 03:06 PM   #3
Site Team

Garage

In front? They make an extension that you might be able to use. But how do you plan to attach it. I have a load warrior and used it for a few years. What I don't like about the load warrior is its a bit narrow and because I have 3 solar panels I would rather have a wider shorter version. I used a cargo net to hold things down or a water resistant travel bag. I also wrap anything that needs to be bone dry in plastic bags just in case. It's kind of difficult to climb up and down from camp to camp retrieving things though. The travel bag with quick release clips was easiest to work with. On my last trip I used a rocket box-15 on top. Other that height problems which you get putting anything up top anyway, the rocket box is simpler to use and you don't have to worry about rain. But I wouldn't want to load it with items that could roll around and cause damage. The racks are better suited for that.

Hope this helps.
Dave.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 03:25 PM   #4

Sorry, I guess I wasn’t clear. I have the Yakima bars, towers and a basket (not the large Loadwarrior). I want to mount the basket in front of the PH, over the driver/passenger head area. It should not interfere with raising the top I don’t think. I just wondered if you all thought it would be ok so far forward on the van roof.
Old 05-03-2009, 03:28 PM   #5
Site Team

Garage

How big is that basket? I just went out and measured my Load warrior. If you split it (like it's made to), you could use the front half. It's 20 inches long but there is only one mount. You could probably fab something to attach it to the towers. Just be advised that gutter mounts need to be set up the proper way or the whole rack can come off easy. I have a setup on a pickup and its been there for years. But I would check with a dealer to make sure you can get 2 towers and cross bars up there.

Old 05-03-2009, 03:33 PM   #6
Site Team

Garage

Sorry I was not aware they made a basket...just saw it on the site. I assumed you had a load or mega warrior

Old 05-03-2009, 03:39 PM   #7

Yes it’s the BasketCase. I had this setup on my Jeep for 3 years and it worked very well. I know it won’t hold to much on the SMB and it will overhang the window some but every little storage area helps.

Thank you for taking the time to answer my question. If you think of any other good or bad reasons let me know.
Old 05-03-2009, 04:17 PM   #8

Send a message via AIM to Greg In Austin Send a message via Yahoo to Greg In Austin

We have a Yakima basket mounted at the rear of our PHT using yakime tracks, towers and bars. So far it has only been used to carry firewood from time to time.

The basket used to be on the 1990 4x4 Nissan truck. We had one mounted as you are planning, over the cab. It worked great and made for easy access from the cab doors. We had another mounted on tracks, towers and bars over the camper shell in the back. Both worked fine and were able to carry whatever we could fit. The nice part of the basket is that you can mount it either legnthwise or widthwise, whatever works better in the situation.

When we carry something that needs to be out of the weather we use dry-bags along with the net. When we follow that, nothing has ever been wet.

The geometry that you are talking about does seem pretty tight. I would try the instal and see what you think. If it is cantilevered too much, it might limite what you can carry.
There are extensions that can help with the cantiliver, but I have never used them and don't know how much they will help.
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (15 to 18 mpg) [Johnnie]
2012 Mitsubishi MiEV (no gas required) ($.50/day in electricity) [Evie]
https://badge.facebook.com/badge/1232...3.32047100.png
Greg In Austin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 04:32 PM   #9

Thanks Greg, your information is very helpful. Sounds like it will work ok.