Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

View Poll Results: Will a Ford E350 5.4L V8 get me there and back?
Absolutely! I do it all the time. 13 86.67%
Yes. But I wish I had more powerful engine. 2 13.33%
Nope. You'll wish you had a more powerful engine. 0 0%
No way. Start over. 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-10-2016, 06:06 AM   #11

There are several other options. Chris (Ujoint) does awesome work but why to go a place all the way across the country when there are great converters right near you?

Even though this is the Sportsmobile Forum, it's not affiliated with the Sportsmobile company and hanging around here for awhile will show you that there are a lot better options for a lot of pop top, 4x4 camper van things. Sportsmobile is probably the most difficult and most expensive of any of them.

Welcome to the forum!

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 07:22 AM   #12
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF
X2 on Agile Offroad, in SoCal, many members here have Agile's twin traction beam conversions done and really like it.
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 07:46 AM   #13

Welcome to the forum!!

So Cal location -

You want 4x4? Call Agile in San Diego and get their TTB front end. You will be very pleased you did.

You want a pop top? Bite the bullet on the drive and get it to Colorado Camper Van in Denver area. You have two options on tops, both better, way more comfortable/functional, and less costly than SMB.

You want a camper van interior buildout? if you have the skill set, time and space - consider doing it your self.
If you do not have any one of the three - options are:
1. SMB will build what you bring them even if it has a CCV top and Agile 4WD
2. Get ahold of Wicked Mikey in North Hollywood (pm me for ph #)
3. There is also a place in San Diego I have heard about, I do not know the name
4. Van Specialties in Portland
5. GTRV in the San Francisco Bay Area

Lots of resources here!! Check in often and make sure your UserCP settings are set right!
Old 05-10-2016, 07:52 AM   #14

Location: Rancho Nuevo (Cabo/Todos Santos) B.C.S. and San Diego, CA
We have converted more 5.4L E-Series vans to 4X4 than all the others engine options combined. The 5.4L is a great option with plenty of power, even for towing reasonable loads. If towing heavy loads was the primary reason for owning, I would opt for a diesel or V10.

Our 4X4 conversion adds less than 200 pounds to a vehicle. We had a customer pick up his beautiful Steel Blue 2013 5.4L RB50 Sportsmobile yesterday with our 4X4 Long Travel Twin-Traction Beam just completed. He weighed it before and after, and reported to me a 150 pound increase.

He bought it new and built out through Sportsmobile Fresno a couple of years ago as a 2wd with ARB Locker and a Camburg lift on it. Living in Colorado and being active outdoors, he soon realized he needed 4-Wheel Drive. He wanted the handling and ride quality that only our independent suspension 4X4 system offers.

It is very rewarding to have such a happy and excited new owner. He flew in yesterday morning, was picked up by John with the van and give a full orientation, then drove back to Colorado.

I invite you to come check out Agile Off-Road and our Long Travel Dana 50 Twin-Traction Beam 4-Wheel Drive System.

Newly converted Steel Blue 2013 5.4L RB50 Sportsmobile:

AgileOffRoad.com
BajaSportsmobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 08:33 AM   #15

Agile TTB for SoCal 4x4 conversion.

For interior fabrication Wicked Mikey in Los Angeles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2002 LX470 expo ready
2008 Ford E350 EB V10 4x4 Sportsmobile PH top
Custom off road trailer
Tienckb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 09:06 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Call of the Wild View Post
is there any truth behind the notion that SM won't convert a 5.4?
I don't think SMB will convert a 5.4. But that's fine, there are better options out there. I would suggest looking into Agile Offroad in El Cajon, they make a very nice riding, smooth, and capable 4x4 conversion.

Edit: I see page 2 is all about Agile. Oh well, guess I didn't need to chime in.
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 09:21 AM   #17

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by spurious View Post
I would think they won't convert 5.4 to 4x4. It would make no sense they wouldn't do an interior and pop top based on the motor size. I would make a second call on that one.....
While I had the same concerns before purchasing and converting my 5.4L to 4x4 through Agile Off-Road, they have faded into the past. When I was driving home from the purchase in Portland, OR, down the 395 and went up the Conway Grade (between Bridgeport, CA and Mono Lake) at 65 mph while on Cruise Control and never touching the accelerator pedal, I knew it was going to be okay. Last summer we put 10K miles on our van as we traveled coast to coast and then some. I could not be happier with the smaller engine. Now if I towed I would be wanting a v10 or 6.0, but I have NEVER felt as though I needed more power.

Here is the thread I started in 2014 when wondering the same thing...
http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...ion-13365.html
2000 4Runner Limited 4WD

But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
skyrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 09:26 AM   #18

Garage
Call of the Wild, where are you located in SoCal?
PM me and perhaps we can set up a meeting and you can try one for yourself??
2000 4Runner Limited 4WD

But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
skyrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 10:09 AM   #19

SMB doesn't have an adapter for the tranny behind the 5.4L. All of the other converters do have something.
Old 05-10-2016, 07:17 PM   #20

[QUOTE=Tienckb;174997 For interior fabrication Wicked Mikey in Los Angelesr[/QUOTE]

Yup, he does some amazing fabrication and you will love the TTB too.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote