Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-11-2014, 03:50 PM   #1

Confrontational Members...

After some time of checking out this forum because I actually own & work on my vintage Ford 4x4 van, I decided to become a member. However Since doing I so I intro'ed & posted a simple question but was contacted with a very condescending reply which was out of line. Upon addressing this I have found a mob mentality among some members & all too willing to find fault in the new guy on the forum. So much for getting a fair trial from my peers....Shocking

Well I have something to say about this, whoever ya'll are going to run in defense of the senior member regardless of the rude way I was addressed by them are in no way better then they. In a world of wrong that wouldn't be the right way to address anyone, weather or not they just signed up or have been around for some time in a manner to assume that person knows nothing or brings anything to the table. I don't think anyone appreciates being spoken to like a child & don't think it proper conduct from one man to another. So if anyone wants to disagree then I think you're overlooking the matter here. Treat people the way you would like to be treated...I know nobody appreciates being spoken to how I was but if you people wanna get behind that, be my guest, mob up & hang the new guy

I have a wealth of knowledge but after careful reconsideration I think I will just be much more selective of where & whom I choose to share it. I just won't ask anymore questions, remain a silent & noncontributing member & only use this place as a source of reference since that's the only POSITIVE I can find.

Such a pity, but I guess this is the direction the world has taken, MOB RULES!

Old 07-11-2014, 04:40 PM   #2

Re: Confrontational Members...

It is the public. A parts guy at a counter can be a dick too. We encounter axxholes everyday. I appreciate this site for the knowledge I have found and I appreciate being able to contribute. I see great work and some outdated attitudes too. Like everywhere.
j.whitbread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 04:55 PM   #3

Sorry Bobby, but you are overreacting. JWA gave you a very literal and complete response, not knowing your level of expertise or lack thereof. Sorry you took it that way. There is no mob mentality here, I assure you. Hope you'll stick around and not get your tighties in a wad so easily in the future. Many folks here know eachother and I know no one here who is not welcoming or willing to help new members.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 06:17 PM   #4

Overreacting now huh???

Everyone else wants to chime in but the guilty party. Whatever man, if I'm attacked then I will certainly stand & defend myself, which I did.
Tighties in a wad??? LMAO, I wear boxers, so that ain't gonna happen but I get what you're trying to say....Again it ain't all that to me, baby so you can quit trying to make it all look like it's all me, it takes 2 to tango but everyone wants to line dance...

I just think it's forum mentality to run to the "clicks" defense weather or not that person was in the right or wrong. maybe consideration ought to be given when addressing others not to assume just because somebody new comes along means they need to be taught how to tie their own shoes again....I'm not here to relearn anything, especially when it comes to common sense, that is/ was the point nothing more. But if ya'll wanna jump on the band wagon be my guest because I'd like to know your true colors from the get go.

Furthermore, if I can't plainly express/ communicate that without being attacked & mobbed up on by others members & their opinions then so much for a healthy environment, aye.

I'd like to correct everyone who chimed in:

I was more than polite, I thanked Mr. Wonderful for his enlightening reissuance of common sense to me, however I also made it aware that I don't need to be spoken to in a condescending fashion either.

I joined here to be surrounded by like minded folk, not addressed as if I were born yesterday, then mobbed & attacked by others who have absolutely nothing to do with this. Talk about rude, it really rubs me the wrong way when folk wanna get up in my grille who ain't got a hand in the matter & it displays nothing more than how a textbook mob acts. Ya'll who took part can now give yourself a pat on the back.

Like I said, after this fiasco, I'll just take a backseat, I don't need to knock myself out... Obviously if my first post was regarding one piece glass for my old rig then I'm not that information starved, I had already done some research but only wanted to know if someone knew something I didn't, but that's not at all what I found out. Yep, I own a gen. 3 so eventually something mechanically will present itself to me I may not be sure of but for the most part seems like the ones who wanna chime in are the ones who own or are SMB purists anyway. My post was in the Homemade/ Ground Up Builds section.

Maybe some folk just feel better when they talk down to others. Makes them feel more important or fill some void they have possibly. Definitely something in the psyche. At least I know now who some of you are & where you stand, thanks for ratting yourselves out, it definitely makes things much easier from here on out.

Keep searching for that promised land mates, this ain't it...
Old 07-11-2014, 08:53 PM   #5

Something tells me it's you OP.
j.whitbread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 09:52 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.whitbread
Something tells me it's you OP.
Was it the gigantic wall of text?

But seriously, he apologized- let it go. Let's not litter the board with locked threads just because we can't get past this.

Old 07-11-2014, 10:31 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jage
he apologized- let it go.
He did? Guess I missed that...
Old 07-11-2014, 10:52 PM   #8

I have enjoyed over five years on this forum and before this evening I have seen about two negative posts, usually with instant apologies for offense taken out of misunderstanding. I have been amazed at the quality of people here, the acceptance of new members, and the willingness to share years or decades of knowledge. Until today.

Now I feel like I'm in the comments section of CNN.com. Only one thing changed to bring this new environment. I liked it the way it was before.
Old 07-12-2014, 03:44 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldercrest
I have enjoyed over five years on this forum and before this evening I have seen about two negative posts, usually with instant apologies for offense taken out of misunderstanding. I have been amazed at the quality of people here, the acceptance of new members, and the willingness to share years or decades of knowledge. Until today.

Now I feel like I'm in the comments section of CNN.com. Only one thing changed to bring this new environment. I liked it the way it was before.
"Like"
Old 07-15-2014, 04:24 PM   #10

I was completely green to vans and SMB's when I joined this forum but I have had many modded cars prior to entering this world. Everyone has been very helpful and perhaps your interpretation of people's advice is whats getting your flustered. It sounded like someone was giving you their opinion on van security and you took it as if you were being lectured. If you look at it as if people are trying to help you by offering advice, you might not get so heated.