Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-22-2018, 02:42 PM   #1

Garage
Custom map (e.g. Google) to show sportsmobile mechanics & shops?

I searched for "map" and "mechanic" and no thread was found in the "Forum Support | Suggestions, Account Concerns and News" This idea is based upon the mechanic thread - http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...ith-12887.html and the "Best 6.0L service tech, central CA coast?" thread - http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...ast-21718.html

and http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...tml#post238313

A long time ago on another forum that I've since forgotten, a custom map was created to show member locations across the USA. Would it be possible for the forum to create a custom map (e.g. Google, etc.) that located shops & mechanics across North America? Could even tag the location based upon their specialty: gas or diesel, 2WD or 4WD, Ford or Sprinter or other, etc. This might help someone traveling more easily find a reputable shop or mechanic to perform repairs??

Does this seem like something that users would utilize?

Since sportsmobiles are custom by nature, would rather rely upon the composite knowledge of this forum to find a qualified mechanic, rather than Yelp, Google, Facebook, etc.

unreng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 03:05 PM   #2

Garage
I would have utilized a feature like this 2 days ago, lol.

I was thinking a section on the forum that people could post up trustworthy mechanics theve dealt with. maybe a thread for each state and people in that state (or folks that were traveling through that found a good mechanic) could post up cities they know where good mechanics. not only that, but if the areas have pick and pull yards for the mechanically inclined to grab parts so they didn't have to wait for special order etc.

on a forum I used to frequent before fb took eveyones attention there was an area called lifelines. people who were willing to help a fellow enthusiast out in their immediate area would post up their contact info and help them if they were stranded near them. direct them to a mechanic, pick and pull yards, lodging, etc. it was a really cool feature. I pitched it to a mod but it was pointed out that the folks here had a lot more money tied up in their rigs then the forum I was on and saw this feature and realized that putting up that info wasn't a good idea. however I see no reason why people in each specific section couldn't say something along the lines that people traveling through that need help can reach out to them via pm for a driveway to park in for a night or something of that nature.
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 03:56 PM   #3

Garage
I like it all - Think the Concept would be great, incorporating both ideas of "resources available for assistance" and "recommended service/mechanical shops"
I'll be the first to admit I'm not the man for the job - but would gladly contribute & certainly appreciate access to such a tool.
Taking it a step further, I can could also see the benefits of Members having the option to "subscribe" in a way that others could PM them for advice/suggestions on the "must see or do's" when trips are planned in approximate areas. Locals always have the knowledge!
The more I type, the more I like the ideas shared by Shenrie & Unreng - Include the option of allowing other 4x4 interests to join and someone could create a comprehensive APP ???
Old 10-22-2018, 04:06 PM   #4

Garage
whatever we do needs to be easy for the mods to upkeep, otherwise im guessing the idea will not evolve.

I also agree that we should have 4x4 shops or shops in general that can fab/repair broken stuff and it would be good to show companies that will do custom van work as well for each area. we can help the shops that help us that way. plus theres so many places that don't have shops that will do custom work, people can click the states around them to see if there is a shop near by that is willing to do that type of work.
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
Old 10-22-2018, 04:09 PM   #5

Garage
Interesting...just read a post by Shenrie on another thread that suggested essentially the same
"maybe a special section of its own (repair shops by state?) and we could have a thread for each state and members in each city can recommend places of interest? hell it could be handy even for those who live in those cities to find out about better places to have their rigs worked on??"
What do they say about two heads being better than one...in my case, even if it adds up to 1.5 (my contribution the .5)
Old 10-23-2018, 12:01 PM   #6

Garage
first draft of the map

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1uA...ty&usp=sharing

Let me know how it looks...working with Google Maps is easy.

Added shops & mechanics from the mechanics thread-http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...ith-12887.html
Have only created the one layer for shops & mechanics, and can add additional layers for junkyards, lodging, etc. Can also change icons based upon specific parameters (e.g. diesel, gas, electrical, suspension, differential, etc.), and thought it best to leave it alone for now.

Would prefer to make this ever evolving...and a sticky, because things always change, and a shop that was great can become not-so, and new shops can be recommended as time progresses.

Chris
Old 10-23-2018, 12:19 PM   #7

Garage
WOW, Fantastic start - now the parameters should be explored, a method to sign-up facilities in a way it can be regulated (otherwise anyone could recommend anything - should be some criteria).
As for adding additional "layers", I like the idea of members having an option to sign-up (essentially giving permission) for others to reach out for feedback on possible trips in their area. Then also members that would be willing to assist if someone is in need of assistance - again something that would allow members to sign up, but also allow to establish parameter (EX: not between 1am & 5am, or not on Sundays)
I'm just spitballing here, I'm sure you'll invite a lot of suggestions.

Would suggest you start a seperate Thread - believe you'll get a lot more involvement - Title should be clear on the intent to encourage participation.
Old 10-23-2018, 02:09 PM   #8

Garage
that's pretty cool! so each member would be able to add the shops they recommend?
Old 10-23-2018, 04:30 PM   #9

oh yeah! That's great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by unreng View Post
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1uA...ty&usp=sharing

Let me know how it looks...working with Google Maps is easy.

Added shops & mechanics from the mechanics thread-http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...ith-12887.html
Have only created the one layer for shops & mechanics, and can add additional layers for junkyards, lodging, etc. Can also change icons based upon specific parameters (e.g. diesel, gas, electrical, suspension, differential, etc.), and thought it best to leave it alone for now.

Would prefer to make this ever evolving...and a sticky, because things always change, and a shop that was great can become not-so, and new shops can be recommended as time progresses.

Chris
Old 10-27-2018, 10:51 AM   #10
Site Team

Garage
Valley Hybrids is a warranty shop for Atlas transfer cases and does custom 4x4 work

Stockton, California
1038 W Fremont St, Stockton, CA 95203
(209) 475-8808

Towne Ford in Redwood city works on a lot of Ford SMB's

1601 El Camino Real, Redwood City, CA 94063

(650) 366-5744

Country Ford in the Modesto area works on most of the ambulances in the area as well as heavy trucks.

1720 Herndon Rd, Ceres, CA 95307

(209) 541-3673

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote