Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

View Poll Results: Should we allow dealership ads in the classifieds?
Yes, absolutely! 1 2.44%
Yes, but only for specific Sportsmobile vehicles 9 21.95%
Yes, but only in their own section 12 29.27%
Yes, but only if there is a fee 3 7.32%
They should be allowed to provide a link to their own offsite ad, just like any other member 5 12.20%
Doesn't matter to me either way 2 4.88%
No, I'd rather keep it to private sellers 6 14.63%
Never in a million years, I can't stand dealership ads 3 7.32%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-29-2009, 08:09 PM   #1

Dealer ads in classifieds

Here is the ad, I'm locking the ad thread (but leaving it up) so people have a chance to weigh in:
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=3900&p=33295#p33295

Only one member may eventually benefit from this ad. The greater question is, is having dealership ads something the community is interested in?

Should there be a separate section for Dealer Classifieds?

Should there be a fee for a dealership to list vehicles?

Before you think "money for the forum, great!" go do a craigslist search for a vehicle an note how the dealer owned vehicles can be more than 90% of the ads are from car dealers. I doubt things will get that bad, but each dealer owned vehicle takes away from the private sellers, while also giving the shopper more options.

We can always change the policy if it ceases to suit the community, but for now I'd like to hear what forum members think.

Old 11-29-2009, 08:41 PM   #2
Site Team

Re: Dealer ads in classifieds

Since I have no idea what it costs you (Jage) to keep this forum running I'm sure whatever you decide everyone here would back. If this guy is selling a $39,000 vehicle surely he can make a small "donation".
I do think it helps others, beside the buyer, to know what's the going rate on used SMBs.

Once I exit Hal, this is what I do.
https://larry.wvnet.edu/~van/pics/lic...late-small.jpg
WWW.WVBIKE.ORG
WVvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 09:18 PM   #3

I am often envious of the fees SMB garners to sell used vans, however the forum won't cease to exist or fuction without this particular revenue. Think of it more as a bar to a level of seriousness in posting their ads.
Old 11-29-2009, 09:19 PM   #4

Send a message via MSN to bettyford

One of the things I like about this site is that we are just a bunch of guys and gals that have something great in common. i all so believe there is a personal feeling this web site carries, I feel it, and im sure others do as well, even though I have not met anyone form this site in person yet I believe they would do what they could to help me if I needed it, As I know I would. If we start letting people who don't share our common interest and are just trying to sell something no matter what it is I believe that trust would be lost. I believe it would change everything it may take awhile but it would change. Most of us are searching the web and other places 24/7 we post what we find. We all look at it and make our comments talk a little s--t and its fun.

I am all so a dealer I have over 100 cars trucks and campers for sale and I would never post something on this site that wasn't my personal unit this just isnt the place..

Thats my 2 cents ok maybe 5 cents

Ron
Old 11-29-2009, 10:23 PM   #5
Site Team

That's a tough one, but are direct posts by dealerships that much different than forum members linking to dealership sites or even Craigslist postings? I have mixed feelings about it, but I say let them post in a separate sub-forum section (with a Dealership tag) and that way it would be easy to freeze/eliminate if it took a direction that we as a community didn't care for.

If we don't allow dealership posts, should we not allow posts by other vendors (Aluminess, SMB,...)? It's a fine line to draw, and a slippery slope to get ourselves on.

Herb
Old 11-30-2009, 11:10 AM   #6

There is another thread going with some additional info and opinions:
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=3902

Please try to keep all comments and responses to this thread.
Old 11-30-2009, 11:11 AM   #7

Based on comments in the other thread I'm adding a new option to the poll.

My apologies, that reset the poll. You will all need to revote.
Old 11-30-2009, 06:53 PM   #8

I really don't mind if a member posts a link to a good deal they run across.

But, having a dealer post a free ad somehow bothers me. I don't know why, but it wouldn't bother me if they had to pay to post the ad. Seems like $5-10 to reach a specific audience would be reasonable.

I would hate for the classified to be overrun by dealer posted ads. I really liked what Ron had to say above.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 07:57 AM   #9

It is interesting to have access to ads that you are not aware of or when you don't know where to look. One can have an overview of the market.

To avoid to be flooded by "commercial" ads, a form of restriction could be applied: amount per month/year, fee, periode of validity (then automatically erases),...
If dealers are allowed to post in a specific section, it should be short, precise and have the link to their website where further details are available.

If the line is drawn what would happen to the ads that members seen elswhere and mention here?
AndrewST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 05:40 PM   #10

Andrew that's a good question. I have seen sites that have a separate section for pointing out ads on CL and eBay to keep them separate from member listings. Of course there are others that have a separate section for everything until it's so complex one doens't know where to look for a vehicle anymore.

Looks like the "separate section" folks are ahead, as well the "Yea" side. I'd like to let this run all week and give more people a chance to chime in... that way I don't have to do anything until next week.