Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-09-2012, 06:18 PM   #1

help

Hey folks. I have to say this is the hardest website to navigate. Can any one assist?
* I cant post pictures, it says that my files are to big. So I compress them and they are still to big. Any Ideas?
*I try to do anything on the site and it says I don't have permission or that I need the board to approve yet there is no where that I could find to contact anyone.

I'm not a complete moron when it comes to computers but wow.....HELP!!!

ironhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 09:28 AM   #2
Site Team

Garage
Re: help

I sent you a PM. You'll have to be approved by an Admin on your first 3 posts. After that you should be able to take full advantage of the site. Here is the directions for posting pictures

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110

BTW I find it quicker to resize the pictures around 600x800 before posting even though the site automatically resizes them.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 04:40 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb
BTW I find it quicker to resize the pictures around 600x800 before posting even though the site automatically resizes them.
Depends on which way you're uploading, but yes it's better to do resize first with picasa or some other free tool.
Old 02-10-2012, 06:17 PM   #4
Site Team

Garage

Compressing the pics doesn't change their size, when they decompress they're big again. Did you mean resize, as the other posts suggest?

Life and baseball both sometimes are not fair, but it is how you play the hops that counts.
—Scott Miller, NYT Sports
rionapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 10:53 PM   #5
Site Team

Garage

I was mainly talking about attached photos. Resizing the pics allows me to download an attachment faster...at least on my computer. Plus those members who post a large attached image causes me to scroll across to read the text or see the whole image. Kind of annoying on my end.

Old 02-12-2012, 08:14 AM   #6

Quote:
If the site automatically resizes the pictures to the proper size why would you need to scroll across the post to read the text or see the entire picture?.

Just curious.

Gnarvan 1992 E350 Clubwagon
Advanced 4WD Systems Conversion

Sotar Legend 12.5' X 22" Cataraft
2003 BMW R1150GS-Adventure
2013 BMW R1200GS-Adventure
Gnarvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 08:19 AM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnarvan
Quote:
If the site automatically resizes the pictures to the proper size why would you need to scroll across the post to read the text or see the entire picture?.

Just curious.
I that situation is a browser setting, rather than a setting on the forum. I've only experienced that issue a few times, but 99.9% of the time, the photos (and the webpage itself) are no wider than the screen. On a mobile device, all bets are off.

Herb
Old 02-12-2012, 09:10 AM   #8

OK, I'll bite. What browser setting? Having to scroll back and forth is a real pain in the butt!!!
Windows OS.

2007 RB50, 6.0
K1WGB
scatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 12:51 PM   #9
Site Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnarvan
Quote:

Just curious.
I don't have to when looking at an album pic or a link to to an album picture...just large attachments. And yeah it is probably the browser on how it's displayed.

Old 02-15-2012, 09:01 AM   #10
Site Team

Garage

Quote:
I was mainly talking about attached photos. Resizing the pics allows me to download an attachment faster...at least on my computer. Plus those members who post a large attached image causes me to scroll across to read the text or see the whole image. Kind of annoying on my end.
DaveB,

You may already know this but FWIW, an image's file size is length x width x 3 (for each color: red, green & blue.) Change the dimensions and it's smaller so it uploads and downloads quicker. Compressing replaces similar values with a code that saves space: i.e., all the red pixels get coded as 1 rather than 12345, or whatever red's numeric value may be. The compressed file also contains the key to the codes so the colors can be replaced when it is decompressed. The original size is not changed.

As an aside, jpg's use a lossy compression algorithm, meaning they throw data away to save more space. Thus red and near red are considered the same. Saving and resaving jpg's gradually destroys color. That's one reason cheap cameras & phones have poor color, esp. in flesh tones, since they treat all the variations in a person's face as one cor to cram more images in memory.

Life and baseball both sometimes are not fair, but it is how you play the hops that counts.
—Scott Miller, NYT Sports
rionapo is offline   Reply With Quote