Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-31-2017, 03:05 PM   #1

Question Insuring my SMB (my only vehicle)

Apologies if this is not posted in the correct place.....

My insurer is cancelling my SMB coverage because I sold my Honda Fit last year. I guess the problem is that they assume I will be using my SMB for around town driving. But in fact I have put < 100/month since I sold the Honda and would happily not drive it around town at all, if required. They also refuse to insure my SMB as a "personal vehicle" because "it's an RV".

Obviously the vehicle is useless (worthless?) w/o insurance. Even if I get "personal vehicle" coverage, the policy will ignore the value of the conversion. So if totaled, the payout would be based on the value of the vehicle, not including the conversion.

What to do? This seems like a not uncommon situation.

Old 08-31-2017, 03:16 PM   #2

Talk to a different company! Or get a stated value policy.
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 03:25 PM   #3

I just talked to my insurance company (Nationwide) and my van is not registered as an RV. I don't have enough bells and whistles to go the RV route. Talked to my insurance and they are fine I just need an appraisal. So I am getting the appraisal and providing receipts for whatever I can dig up. I know I won't get full value and that's fine, I just need to cover as much as I can.

I have heard that progressive is familiar with Sportsmobiles. Give them a call.
Old 08-31-2017, 03:43 PM   #4

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flux View Post
I just talked to my insurance company (Nationwide) and my van is not registered as an RV. I don't have enough bells and whistles to go the RV route. Talked to my insurance and they are fine I just need an appraisal. So I am getting the appraisal and providing receipts for whatever I can dig up. I know I won't get full value and that's fine, I just need to cover as much as I can.

I have heard that progressive is familiar with Sportsmobiles. Give them a call.
Our primary Insurance company would not provide Insurance for our Sportsmobile either (over 16yrs with same one & have Home, 2 Auto's, and Boat with them).
We also found sanctuary with Progressive. In addition, we were also allowed to "up" the replacement value of our van for a reasonable fee...now fully covered for actual replacement cost.
Old 08-31-2017, 04:03 PM   #5

Thanks, all, for the comments/suggestions.

But it sounds like everybody replying has a private (or primary) vehicle in addition to a SMB (or other RV). The thing I keep being told is: your SMB cannot be covered as an RV unless you have another car (to drive daily).

I have talked to Progressive and once I told them my SMB was my only vehicle, they said "No go." It's worth a lot more than the Actual Cash Value.

And it looks like "Agreed Value" policies are not issued for RVs. Classic cars appear to be the target there. Read about "Stated Value" policy language to get completely creeped out.
Old 08-31-2017, 04:05 PM   #6

TwoXentrix, is this your only vehicle? I can't tell from your post. If so, I will definitely get in touch with Nationwide.
Old 08-31-2017, 04:18 PM   #7

Garage
We have two other vehicles insured with State farm, but our Sportsmobile is insured with Progressive since primary carrier would not entertain insuring the Sportsmobile. I'm almost positive Progressive classified it as an RV.
Dont believe they ever asked if we had any other vehicles. We did have to inquire about raising the replacement value - hence the additional Fee (but we felt it was a reasonable burden)
Old 08-31-2017, 04:43 PM   #8

Flux, is this your only vehicle? I can't tell from your post. If so, I will definitely get in touch with Nationwide.

I confused TwoXentrix's quote of your comment with his comment.
Old 08-31-2017, 05:29 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by rallypanam View Post
....Or get a stated value policy.
Unicorns! Anybody here have one for their SMB? If so, anybody in CA??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twoxentrix View Post
We have two other vehicles insured with State farm, but our Sportsmobile is insured with Progressive since primary carrier would not entertain insuring the Sportsmobile.
The only place I could get my van insured with reasonable extra coverage was with State Farm...go figure.....I do not have an RVIAA sticker (home build) so it's insured as a van +$27K in extra coverage......better than nothing....

Here is a long thread on this very subject:

http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...-smb-5412.html
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 05:31 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarlanaBeth View Post
Flux, is this your only vehicle? I can't tell from your post. If so, I will definitely get in touch with Nationwide.

I confused TwoXentrix's quote of your comment with his comment.

No, I have daily drivers and such.

Tags
insurance