Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-31-2017, 06:15 PM   #11

I live in CA, have other vehicles, and have an agreed value policy. It's expensive, but to me well worth the cost for my '16 4x4 Sprinter.

Beth, it may help to post where you are since policies and regulation for companies differ from state to state.

michaelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 08:34 PM   #12

Garage
I live in CA as well --- and have an agreed-value insurance policy through AAA of SoCal. It's not excessively priced....been pretty happy with these guys.

Again though, I do have another daily-driver so really not sure if my rates are reasonable on the SMB because it's not the primary driver.

Still --- might be worth a call!

Incidentally --- the guy at AAA who wrote up my policy was a longtime VW Westy owner and he was way stoked on the Sportsmobile. (Had to bring it to the AAA branch office so they could inspect it/take photos/run it through their policy approval group.) Maybe I've just gotten lucky, but somehow it has always felt more like doing business with a friend than a big company when dealing with AAA.

(You're in good company though....it seems like a fair amount of people on the forum have had to do a good bit of "shopping around" to finally find a satisfactory insurer and policy....)
MountainBikeRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 12:57 PM   #13

Hi boywonder,

No takers yet on your question about having a stated value policy.

Also I found some folks complaining that when a claim was filed on such a policy, the policy contained language to the effect of "the lesser of actual cash value/stated value". Wouldn't THAT ruin your day?
Old 09-01-2017, 01:51 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarlanaBeth View Post
Hi boywonder,

No takers yet on your question about having a stated value policy.
MountainBikeRoamer has one, and he is local (So Cal)...we've been having a side converstaion and as it turns out AAA only does those for RV's. My van is a home build and registered as a van.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarlanaBeth View Post
Also I found some folks complaining that when a claim was filed on such a policy, the policy contained language to the effect of "the lesser of actual cash value/stated value". Wouldn't THAT ruin your day?
That's some of the subtle differences between "stated" value and "actual" value policies. Do a google search.
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 02:19 PM   #15

To get my agreed value (full replacement value at $1XX,XXX.00) I had to provide all build docs with a final payment invoice from SMB. I know that there's many factors (esp. here in CA) that determine policy cost, but I was more than fine with paying a bit extra for the agreed value on a brand new rig.

TBH, I can't see the benefit of having a stated value policy on a new rig...unless you're trying to save a few bucks every month...
michaelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 03:25 PM   #16

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by boywonder View Post
MountainBikeRoamer has one, and he is local (So Cal)...we've been having a side converstaion and as it turns out AAA only does those for RV's. My van is a home build and registered as a van.
This is true. AAA of SoCal stipulated that to issue the kind of policy I was after, the van had to carry RV designation on the DMV registration. (Which it does --- and the van itself has the RVIAA sticker on the back that was attached when Fresno SMB originally built it out.)

To further clarify --- I'm pretty sure my insurance policy with AAA is classified as an "agreed value" policy --- (since they looked at the van and agreed it was worth what I said it was.)

If I recall correctly, pretty sure they also did some cursory online research to find comparable classified listing prices for Sportsmobiles of similar age/equipment.

(Hope that doesn't muddy up the water any more for the discussion. Next week I'll try to dig up the exact terms of the policy.)
MountainBikeRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 04:43 PM   #17
Site Team

Garage
For more confusion
http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...-smb-5412.html

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 05:38 PM   #18

Collector Cars: Agreed Value vs. Stated Amount Insurance

Folks: Read the fine print...the two are quite different......Actual value is the better of the two......

"what the large print giveth, the fine print taketh away....
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 11:32 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by boywonder View Post
The only place I could get my van insured with reasonable extra coverage was with State Farm...go figure.....I do not have an RVIAA sticker (home build) so it's insured as a van +$27K in extra coverage......better than nothing....

It's crazy how coverage from the same company can vary from state to state. I have several vehicles insured with State Farm, and my van is registered as an RV, but they won't sell me any added coverage. When I asked if I should get an appraisal, they said it wouldn't help. I didn't get a warm and fuzzy feeling from them, but based on discussions with my agent and the experience of a couple friends filing claims with them, if you fight hard enough and find a few good comps, they will pay up, but it won't be easy. That was my experience when I filed a homeowners claim with them after a burst water pipe in my house. It took a very long time to settle, but in the end I was quite satisfied, you just have to be persistant.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 12:44 PM   #20
Site Team

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctictraveller View Post
It's crazy how coverage from the same company can vary from state to state. I have several vehicles insured with State Farm, and my van is registered as an RV, but they won't sell me any added coverage. When I asked if I should get an appraisal, they said it wouldn't help.

I filed a homeowners claim with them after a burst water pipe in my house. It took a very long time to settle, but in the end I was quite satisfied, you just have to be persistant.
Just the opposite for me here in CA. My agent at State Farm didn't want to touch my van even though it's RVIA approved. But my home claims have been handled promptly. I had researched different companies prior to my purchase and was turned down by several who claimed a porta pottie didn't qualify as a head/blackwater tank build. I called Progressive 3 times and got 3 different answers. The day I picked up the van I called the company that approved me but at the last minute backed down and refused to cover me. I had checked with Good Sam (GMAC now National General) and it was unreal how easy it went. Probably pay more and I still don't know what will happen in a total but hope being Good Sam is RV friendly they'd be more forgiving during a claim. I had 5 years replacement value and then a stated value. I also wonder about how these companies would react to I just rolled my van on a OHV trail

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
insurance