Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-26-2019, 04:08 PM   #1

Overdrive light blinks continuously

I just picked up my 2003 Ford E350 EB 4x4 7.3 Diesel van from SMB west, I haven't driven this van until now. The speedometer doesn't work and the overdrive light on the shifter column blinks. It also shifts hard and jumps around between 2nd and 3rd, couldn't really tell how many gears it has, I'm guessing 3 but sometimes it felt like 4 or 5. I haven't taken it to a tranny shop yet but i'm planning to on tuesday. Just wondering if anyone has had the same problem.

Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 04:38 PM   #2

Should be a 4 speed. If it’s jumping around with a transmission code, there’s probably a problem. Luckily a new trans isn’t that pricy.
Grampswrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 06:29 PM   #3

Yup. It's the 4R100 in your van.

If the VSS signal is missing, that can cause the transmission fault as well (O/D flashing the transmission version of the Check Engine light). Of course, it could be coincidental and the transmission is having its own problems. But address the missing VSS signal before tearing into the transmission.

Since it's 4x4, the VSS wiring may have been extended to move the VSS into the transfer case. If so, this is a likely point of failure since they probably used butt connectors to do it.
Old 05-26-2019, 06:43 PM   #4

Garage
I had a bad torque converter that caused my light to blink like that. Ended up just replacing that and putting a whole new transmission in for piece of mind since it had 220k, but I could have gotten by with just a new torque converter.
nemesisnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 07:04 PM   #5
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Count the flashing light sequence---the number of times indicate what condition has been noticed by the PCM.

When you have the flashes noted do a Google search or ask here what is being indicated.

And keep in mind the transmission shifting is partly controlled through the odometer---if that's failed or has somehow been miswired this hard shifting and no gear changes would occur. Don't ask me how I know but its happened to me.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 07:26 PM   #6

OD light
I know this can help 2 wheel drive blinking
2003 ford e350 7.3

The trans harness on 2 wheel drive is facing down into the connection port on passenger side. So when they get wet the harness sits in a a puddle of water inside than plug in..make sure you pull the cover plate and pull up on harness connection. Feel down in there and make sure no moisture or water is in it. Terrible design. Take anything to soak up any water . But be easy on it. Spray some electrical cleaner inside a few times as well as harness end spray as well be painting just soak up with paper towel..let it dry. Then take some tubing go around harness wire plug it in making sure its dry. Start truck it will blink a minute or sometimes none..I then find something to keep the water from returning I put wrapped tube or something . Tak ed dielectric grease in there plug in. Tell me if that works..
TexasTrucksInc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 08:36 AM   #7

Okay I'm good with that, what does the VSS stand for?
Also it starts blinking while in motion and continuous, but I will check it out today and see if it is a repetitive pattern.
Old 05-27-2019, 08:52 AM   #8

Vehicle Speed Sensor
Old 05-27-2019, 09:55 AM   #9

As I said, I just brought it home from SMB and yo we're right, the VSS was completely disconnected, I plugged it in and drove it like I stole it and all is good.
Thank you all, I'd buy you a beer today but it will have to wait until me meet on the trails.
Happy trails my friends.
Old 05-27-2019, 10:47 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell View Post
As I said, I just brought it home from SMB and yo we're right, the VSS was completely disconnected, I plugged it in and drove it like I stole it and all is good.
Thank you all, I'd buy you a beer today but it will have to wait until me meet on the trails.
Happy trails my friends.
Electrical Gremlins
Beasty Boy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
4x4 conversion, 7.3 diesel, econoline, ford 350, overdrive