Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-27-2017, 08:46 PM   #1

photos uploading sideways

Ive tried uploading and Editing my photos several different ways to correct this problem. Straight from my Iphone, from the computer, from the computer cropped into a square, from the computer resized. All have resulted in my photos showing up crooked. YES they are orientated correctly on my devices. I have tried uploading them to an album on here as well with the same result. I consider myself to be fairly tech savvy and Im a bit stumped, is there something I am missing? Do i need to upload them to a hosting site and URL post them?
Attached Thumbnails
Image00034.jpg   IMG_2547.jpg  

Flakwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 11:12 PM   #2

Garage
Here you go. This site is notorious for saving rotation metadata. I find it rather annoying. In order to strip the old information, I saved your photo to my computer, opened it in Paint (it opened in the correct orientation), and then saved it as a new file. The key seems to be getting it into the correct orientation, then saving it in a new file using simplistic software such as Paint. Good luck!
Attached Thumbnails
Image00035.jpg  
Ready to Rumble!
Glider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 10:15 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glider View Post
Here you go. This site is notorious for saving rotation metadata. I find it rather annoying. In order to strip the old information, I saved your photo to my computer, opened it in Paint (it opened in the correct orientation), and then saved it as a new file. The key seems to be getting it into the correct orientation, then saving it in a new file using simplistic software such as Paint. Good luck!
Thanks for the info, Any idea how to do a batch of them? Im trying to upload the photos from my penthouse install and there are close to 100 of them. itll take me an hour using paint.
Old 01-29-2017, 12:15 PM   #4

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flakwagon View Post
Thanks for the info, Any idea how to do a batch of them? Im trying to upload the photos from my penthouse install and there are close to 100 of them. itll take me an hour using paint.
The best way that I know to go about it is to make sure that the photo is oriented correctly before you press the shutter.

In other words:
- When you take a photo, your camera (or, in most cases, your phone), encodes data into the file to identify which end is supposed to be up.

- When you take a photo, if your intended orientation does not match the phone's beliefs regarding which end is supposed to be up, then the photo will come out sideways on your screen.

- You can rotate the photo on screen, but when you do that using normal methods, that does not appear to change the original orientation instructions: it leaves those in place, and it adds a line instructing the computer to rotate the photo "X" degrees from the original orientation.

- For one reason or another, this Forum software does not read that second line of instructions. It stubbornly sticks with the original orientation information, and ignores everything else.

- The Paint technique I wrote you about creates, from the computer's standpoint, a NEW image. That new image only has a single, original line of orientation information--and that is why that image will show correctly in the forum.

- As you can see, then, the only way to get the Forum software to display photos in your desired orientation is to be sure that the original, top-line orientation information reflects your desired orientation.

- Which gets us back to your question. Either you are going to manually change the top-line orientation information by creating new images via the Paint technique, or you need to make sure that your top-line orientation information is correct to start with. Unfortunately, I am not aware of any other options.

On my phone, getting the orientation information correct in the first place is really easy to do. The little camera image in the shutter button on the right side tells me which way the photo will be oriented. In the first photo below, I have set things up so the photo will be oriented correctly.

In the second photo, however, I have not oriented the photo correctly, and it will display according to the orientation on the phone, not my intended orientation.

Every time I take a photo, I just check the camera image to be sure that it is oriented the way I want the photo to be oriented, and then I never need to mess with re-orientation.

That, however, will not help you fix the pics you have already taken...bummer. I wish I had an easier answer for you.
Attached Thumbnails
2017-01-29 18.44.10.jpg   2017-01-29 18.44.43.jpg  
Ready to Rumble!
Old 01-29-2017, 05:30 PM   #5

It may be that this problem and others is that bulliten board software that the forum runs on is version 3.8.8 beta 4. The current version is 5.0.
larrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 03:18 PM   #6
Site Team

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by larrie View Post
It may be that this problem and others is that bulliten board software that the forum runs on is version 3.8.8 beta 4. The current version is 5.0.
We on on the last stable version of vBulletin prior to version 5 and will likely stay that way for some time. We continue to do security updates and add custom coded features but Vbulletins later releases (after that company was bought out) have been riddled with problems and has some undesirable integration issues and licensing challenges.

You can read about the checkered recent history of Vbulletin here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VBulletin.

Glider pegged the photo issues almost perfectly and much of the rotational tracking issue is device specific - in other words, some folks have more trouble than others. We understand this is an inconvenience but do not have a quick fix - newer versions of vB have the same issue btw
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 04:57 PM   #7

Thanks for clairifying the issue Janet.
larrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 10:52 AM   #8

Thank you Glider for the detailed information. Im going to source the web and see if I can find a File resizer that will simplify a batch of photos for me with the correct orientation. If not Ill be doing them one at a time.
Old 02-08-2017, 11:37 AM   #9

Garage
Good luck, Flakwagon. I hope you are able to find a batch solution.
Ready to Rumble!