Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-23-2018, 06:56 PM   #1

Question When shipping is ???

I understand what I'm about to ask and it might aggravate some people but this is my honest opinion and I think the Forum would be better off if it was implemented.

As for the shipping policy on here, it's sellers discretion. Which I understand but denying shipping I think should be off the table, what I mean is if you're willing to use this form to sell a item you must be willing to ship even if it's an inconvenience. As long as the buyer pays for the inconvenience and cost of shipping I don't see a problem with this.
I have been on many forms and this is one of the very very few that has a sellers discretion shipping policy, the ones that had a rule similar to the one I mentioned has a much happier environment.
And it's not like some of out parts easily sourced, sometimes it takes a very long time to find a part... and it's not local, what then, pay and have it shipped.
Please consider and thank you for reading. Rob.

And had three other E350s...
Bbasso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 07:59 PM   #2

As an east coaster I’m often bummed that all the “good” stuff seems to be in SoCal. But I totally get that a lot of the stuff offered here is pretty big and hard to ship, so I’m ok with it. As a seller I’d always prefer to sell locally to avoid the payment and shipping hassles. While I think the idea above is well intentioned, and personally I get it, it may have a “chilling effect” on people posting stuff FS here, and instead they will just post to the local Craigslist and selling it to - NO!! - a non-Sportsmobiler. :-)
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 08:10 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianW View Post
.....and instead they will just post to the local Craigslist and selling it to - NO!! - a non-Sportsmobiler. :-)
Exactly.......as someone who lives in So Cal and has very little free time these days, large/heavy things I sell here would just go on Craigslist. For large items it's just not even remotely worth my time.

In my case, I'm happy to ship small items as I'm set up to do that.

That being said, I've bought a few large/bulky items from far away and through the generosity of other members been able to get it here if you are patient enough....and are willing to do the legwork to coordinate.

And likewise, I've sold stuff that ended up far away but the buyers coordinated the logistics with other members here. Sometimes there is beer or dinner involved in the transaction as well.
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 08:32 PM   #4

I generally won't ship if the item is too big/heavy for my wife to pick up. I'm not able to do it myself. Unlike the other hobbies/forums I'm involved in, this particular hobby is one that could require the use of a forklift to ship parts.

A lot of people want a shipping quote first, which means I'd have to palletize and weigh it... then get offended and try to tell me that they can get it cheaper, or they want a "discount" to offset the cost (making the part nearly free!)... and end up not buying anyway. It's simply not worth the headache on a low-buck part, but if I'm trying to sell a $1500 axle or $1000 set of wheels, it's worth some effort. I guess I also just have a low tolerance for flakes, and face to face cuts down on "those guys" considerably.

I've got a pair of fiberglass fenders for sale right now that I "will not ship" as the first time I got a quote was over $125 to ship just a few counties away and the "buyer" flipped out about it! I'd also be concerned about them getting damaged in shipping, and the headaches that would be sure to follow. The vast majority of this forum, and several others that I frequent, have been outstanding, but window shoppers are everywhere. Even on this forum, I've had people "commit" to buy, and then no show/ no pay/ no response after I've held items for them, or packaged them up to ship.

I've had no problem with giving stuff away on this forum though, people have managed to drive from all over the place to my location to pick up seats, springs, consoles, axles, magic beans, racks, etc. and I've even picked up the tab on shipping a few free items. It all balances out I guess. Besides, isn't this forum for people who like to go exploring/on adventures in their SMB's/vans? Maybe we should require that buyers must make the trip to pick up?
TheLetterJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 08:50 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLetterJ View Post
magic beans.......
Those sound interesting.........
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 09:28 PM   #6

I keep them in the back of my van, right next to the box of kittens, behind the free candy.
TheLetterJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 10:16 PM   #7

"if you're willing to use this form to sell a item you must be willing to ship even if it's an inconvenience"

What internet do you live on? Go check eBay and you will see local pickup only items as well. Have you ever shipped anything bulky? Just ship a pair of work boots and tell me how much you paid. It is EXPENSIVE and you easily found a box to fit it in. What do you do if you have no box? Or something you can only ship freight and you don't have an account. Goodbye to hundreds of dollars!

Sure you think buyers are willing to pay and maybe some are. Most are so spoiled on the free shipping culture that they don't even factor it in to the equation. I've had many buyers back out on purchases when shipping was as little as $10. It is crazy. Remember when it was "shipping and handling" yeah that handling part no buyer wants to pay for anymore. Even if I spent half my day running around getting it packed, loaded, and driven to FedEx. Do you know they charge to pick up at residences? Probably not.

So no you are way off base. Local classifieds aren't even in the newspaper anymore. We all sell on the internet now. Yeah you miss out on cool rare stuff because it sells in the cities and not in the sticks, sorry.

Next the complaint will be that customs for foreign purchases is annoying...lol
simplesez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 10:33 PM   #8

I recently shipped a moderately bulky item I sold on eBay and was shocked at the cost. The result was I basically gave away the product for free because I grossly underestimated the cost to ship. Never again.
opie is offline   Reply With Quote