Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-15-2012, 01:18 PM   #11

Re: '12 E250 RB 5.4L w/ SMB penthouse custom build

Congrats on the blank slate and the visions to follow! You can't beat having the van as home base for traveling with little ones. It makes everything so much easier and you'll be able to get your spring 'addition' out there involved in your activities before you know it.

Keep us updated with the progress!

Old 10-15-2012, 01:41 PM   #12

Jim,

Your van looks like a great place to start and you seem to have a really good idea what you want to do.

The one thing you will find is finding opening windows for the side and rear doors might be tough.
You can only get the one for the front side door from Ford new and its pricey. You have to get the whole window frame, glass and all to to do the job and the glass is different. It is also hard to find the right shade of tint (I think you have the very dark privacy glass) in a whole set of four. Maybe someone makes aftermarket windows for them but I have never found them. We have here on the forum had discussions about them from time to time.

On the fender flairs you only have one choice as far as I know and that it Bushwacker.

http://www.bushwacker.com/fender.asp?dh ... rch=Search

Good luck with your build and your dreams...

...Jamie
2004 F-350 Dana 60
Ultrasport12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 09:26 PM   #13

Thanks for all the tips and info. It's all greatly appreciated!

Does anyone know of a good conversion company in SoCal? I got my first quote and I've got some serious sticker shock. I gotta do some more shopping. The converter needs to be fair, knowledgeable, and do quality work.

Thanks again
JimHefner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 05:32 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimHefner
Picked up the new van yesterday. 2012 E250 RB 5.4L with tow and power package (windows, locks, cruise).

Taking to Action Van in San Clemente end of this week for lift, shocks, steering stabilizer, wheels, tires, rear wheel spacers, and 4.10 limited slip.

Dont forget to Ping me when in town

bw
billwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 09:44 AM   #15

Garage

There's nothing like a new empty cargo van! Sorta like a blank slate.

We have a 5.4L with high top and the 3.73 axle works fine, even in headwinds. I would think with the penthouse top and 4.10 axle your van will be an animal.

I don't know any conversion shops in SoCal, but Van Specialties in Portland did our conversion. They do good work, and the cost was competitive with Sportsmobile.
Old 10-16-2012, 12:38 PM   #16

Jim -

I'm watching this thread with great interest as I'm in exactly the same boat...

I'm about to pull the trigger on a Sportsmobile - don't know yet if it'll be new or used.

I'm in Southern California too BTW - work at UC Irvine.

While I really really like 4x4 - I'm realizing that I probably really don't need it. The extra expense(s) might just not be worth it for the minimal use it would get. So a lifted van via Action Van is a strong consideration.

Same issue(s) with a diesel or even a V10. really really like 'em... but a 5.4 with proper gearing is plenty. Limited slip and maybe even rear lockers...

Please let me know when you're passing through Irvine. I'll buy the first round.

Thanks,
Steve W
SteveW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 10:58 PM   #17

Jim,
Congratulation!

May I ask why you prefer Action Van over Camburg Engineering in Hunington Beach? Also, what were you quoted to convert the interior?
Old 10-25-2012, 10:45 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhally
There's nothing like a new empty cargo van! Sorta like a blank slate.

We have a 5.4L with high top and the 3.73 axle works fine, even in headwinds. I would think with the penthouse top and 4.10 axle your van will be an animal.

I don't know any conversion shops in SoCal, but Van Specialties in Portland did our conversion. They do good work, and the cost was competitive with Sportsmobile.

What sort of gas mileage do you get with the V8 in your van? We are trying to decide between RB Sprinter and EB Ford, and if we go Ford, which engine? Would be 2wd van, not 4x4, likely with a modified 40-series interior and penthouse.

Bob
chromisdesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 08:01 AM   #19

My rig and I were in Fresno on Wed to have the penthouse installed. I'm totally regretting not getting the electric top. I didn't realize how much force it takes to put that thing up and down. My wife weighs very little and is also pregnant. There is no way she's putting it up or down. I presumed, wrongly, that the electric was just for convenience. I'm trying to work with SMB to get it switched out.

Dropped the van yesterday at Action Van for wheels, tires, lift, shocks, 4.10 LSD, steering stabilizer, fender flares, and hoop steps up front. I don't know a thing about Camburg. Action Van came to me with a few very good referrals. Larry over there knows just about everything about these vans, has been patient, helpful, competitive on pricing, and in general providing a very high level of service. I too will be recommending them.

I've no clue what sort of mileage I'm getting. I've been crazy busy trying to keep this project on schedule and I also figured there was no point checking mileage until the build was completed.

Next, week it's going to Jeff at RV Interiors for a 50 type floor plan. BTW, their prices are on par with SMBs. However, I'm going to be able to choose all the materials, appliances and their location, fasteners/hardware, and be intimately involved with every detail.
JimHefner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 08:57 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimHefner
My rig and I were in Fresno on Wed to have the penthouse installed. I'm totally regretting not getting the electric top. I didn't realize how much force it takes to put that thing up and down.
It really shouldn't be that hard. My 5'2" wife can put ours up and down with no problem. Maybe the springs need to be adjusted.

Also, be sure you have a window or door open when putting the top up or down. It makes a huge difference in how easily the top goes up/down due to the volume of air that the PH top displaces.
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote