Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-29-2017, 06:25 PM   #11

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb View Post
I wouldn't want to rely on electric cooling on my van, but I'm also towing a lot sometimes, and do defintiely max out my fan. I wouldn't mind an aux electric fan to boost A/C performance in stop and go traffic, but it's a low priority for me.
I like your thinking carringb --- the idea of leaving the OEM factory belt-driven clutch fan in place.....but then add a second, auxiliary electric fan as well (so the van would have both!) to keep the engine cool when running at that terrible-for-heat-buildup "perfect storm situation" of slow speeds/heavy load.

Interestingly, the flex-a-lite website has differing recommendations for belt-driven vs. electric fans, depending on your operating needs ---- from their website:

WHICH IS BETTER - AN ELECTRIC OR BELT-DRIVEN FAN?
https://www.flex-a-lite.com/blog/whi...lt-driven-fan/

"We'll jump right into the heart of the matter: An electric fan is the better performance solution, freeing up maximum horsepower and mpg. But it's not always the better cooling solution. The full answer to this question is that both electric and belt-driven fans have their place. Which one is better depends largely on the specific application.

All fans consume energy to spin. Belt-driven fans use mechanical energy directly from the engine. Electric fans rely on electric energy from the battery and charging system. But in cooling, what makes a good fan is optimum airflow for cooling with minimum energy consumption (for maximum engine power and fuel economy).

ELECTRIC FAN
An electric fan completely removes the mechanical load of spinning the fan from the engine. It places an additional draw on the electrical system, but this is a more efficient means of spinning a fan, and it has a smaller impact on engine drag. Between the two types of fans, an electric fan offers an improvement in power delivered to the wheels.

BELT-DRIVEN FAN
Since a belt-driven fan increases speed (and airflow) with engine speed, it can move more air at higher engine rpm - usually above 2,400 rpm - than an electric fan. Conversely, electric fans move more air than belt-driven fans at engine speeds below 2,400 rpm in typical applications.

Which is Right for You?

That's the key question, right? Here's our advice: If you are looking for a performance upgrade then the electric fan is for you. Make sure the electric fan covers 70 percent of the radiator core and moves enough airflow for the engine size (a rule of thumb is at least 2,800 cfm for a 5.0L engine). The electric fan would be a cooling solution for vehicles that typically drive at low vehicle speeds with low engine rpm, such as cruising. If you have a 4-core radiator or towing heavy loads then we recommend you stick with a belt driven fan."

MountainBikeRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 08:15 AM   #12

That’s great info ^^

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote