Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-06-2011, 10:38 PM   #21

Re: 1987 Ford E250 4X4 Camper Van Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overland87
I had thoughts of moving the spare up on the roof rack instead of the back door, however I wanted to install either a pop top or raised roof and the rack would become obsolete.
I considered both heavily. If I ever found a solid raised roof in the junk yard, I probably would have jumped right in. Most of the yards I've checked ask for around $100 for the roof. I have yet to find one that will work for whatever reason. Golly I wish I could stand up in my van. =/

Zaskoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 11:07 PM   #22

Yeah, being able to stand up inside would be nice when putting your pants on in the morning! I was thinking of replacing the rubber snubbers on the bottom of the rear doors, I was going to make some adjustable ones that would help support the door with the spare tire and possibly keep the doors from rattling. I have even thought of welding up the rear doors completly this way I could put a closet across the back, does anyone really use the back doors for anything? I also had thoughts on buying a slide out shelf like you see in some pick up trucks and mount my bed to it, then you could slide the bed out and sleep outside on nice days, I hear they bolt to the floor and hold a lot of weight...... I dunno just thinking! even if you built the bed inside above the sliding rack you could still have storage boxes on the rack and then it would be real easy to get to stuff! just slide it out!
Overland87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 02:02 PM   #23

I sanded, primed and painted the rear bumper black then got a wild hair and decided to start sanding the body in preperation for paint, think I got a little ahead of myself! guess I will keep going and paint the van!
Overland87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 08:29 PM   #24
Site Team

Quote:
I have even thought of welding up the rear doors completely this way I could put a closet across the back, does anyone really use the back doors for anything?
Pre-build I can load up 12' long steel stock inside the van and still close the back doors.
When I'm done with my build I'll still be able to haul 10' long material. I find this comes in real handy so I'd advise against permanently blocking the back doors. Of course if you have access to another haul vehicle it would be a different story.

Once I exit Hal, this is what I do.
https://larry.wvnet.edu/~van/pics/lic...late-small.jpg
WWW.WVBIKE.ORG
WVvan is offline   Reply With Quote