Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-18-2011, 07:36 PM   #1

1987 Ford E250 4X4 Camper Van Build

Well... guess I will start a build thread since I am starting with a bone stock 4x4 cargo van I purchased from Peggys Classic Cars in Portland Oregon. I bought it over the phone and then put an ad on craigslist saying I was looking for someone to transport it to Spokane WA. I recieved about 12 offers in a matter of days and ended up using a guy who was headed here anyways and his family owned a big business in Portland, He had a 2008 Duramax diesel, a nice car trailer and lots of experiance plus he agreed to do it for $250.00 which is what it would have cost me to go and get it minus my time! Once I got it home I found issues that were not mentioned in the sale such as the windshield had been leaking for quite some time but I think that is to be expected on anything you buy sight unseen. I have been around the block a few time so it didn't bother me. Everything can be fixed is my motto! After 3 days of crawling all over it and cleaning stuff up I took some pictures, here is the van in all it's glory.

I found a little rust in the front floor (from the leaking windshield) so I cut it out and welded in patch panels, I then sanded the floor down and coated it with truck bed liner, the engine cover looked bad so I used a small paint roller for a smoother finish and coated it with bed liner for a durable finish that wont rub off like paint would, I liked the look when I was finished. I then added a new Grant steering wheel. Here is a picture.

I found a guy parting out a simular Van and when I went to meet him he said he had to go but I could stay and take anything off the van I wanted for $50.00 so needless to say I was there all day, I got the speedo as mine was fuggly and the glass was cracked, plus the headlight dash piece, I took both seats even though they are worn out because they both had swiveling bases, I took the visors as mine were drooping plus door latches, door glass, spare tire rack, seat belts, inner and outer windshield trim, wing windows, all the door locks, tail lights, basicly anything and everything I needed as my van was a work van and his was a nice clean van that a tree had falled on. It was a total score.
Today I cleaned and installed the dash parts and when I was just about done I got a call saying the new 17 inch American Racing Mojave Teflon wheels with new 285 70 17 Goodyear DuraTracs tires I ordered were in so I hopped in the van and off to the tire store. Here's a picture with the new shoes on.

It's coming along and tomorrow I will clean, lubricate and install the new door locks.
The purchase of the van and the work thus far was funded by selling my 1966 Ford F100 shortbed. I decided that living in the northwest with 9 months of winter wasn't condusive to a two wheel drive lowered truck. I am trying to do this build on a budget but with the new windshield and the door glass seals funds are starting to getting low. I will do what I can when I can and will add completed projects as I go. Here is a picture of the truck I sold. Pretty sweet Huh!

Overland87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 08:26 PM   #2
Site Team

Re: 1987 Ford E250 4X4 Camper Van Build

Quote:
Pretty sweet Huh!
Yes it is. Must been hard to let it go. I'm assuming you fixed it up.

Once I exit Hal, this is what I do.
https://larry.wvnet.edu/~van/pics/lic...late-small.jpg
WWW.WVBIKE.ORG
WVvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 08:28 PM   #3
Site Team

Love the F100. The big sweep on the rear fender is just like the one that on the old Broncos (well except for when they've been cut for clearance of larger tires).

Good luck on the build.

Herb
Old 10-18-2011, 08:53 PM   #4

Hello WVvan Yes I built the 66 F100, it was in the same condition as the van in the beginning, if you like the truck then here's a picture of my 72 Bronco I built which I should never had sold!

Old 10-18-2011, 09:12 PM   #5
Site Team

I may have to start questioning your ability to make rational decisions if you keep making posts like these.

Not sure my Bronco's ever been that shiny, but I've been driving mine almost daily for over 10 years now. Well, except for the periodic downtime for upgrades. Been running a 351W, ZF 5 speed and an Atlas (5:1) for something like 5 of those years.

Herb
Old 10-18-2011, 11:08 PM   #6

Your van is a lot like my rig... I even bought the exact same rims. My build thread is here (Polar Bear 1). I'm looking forward to seeing what you do! Where did you pick up new door locks? Mine are kinda shotty and I've considered replacing them.

(edit: I see you found my thread already)
Zaskoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 07:41 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoHauler
I may have to start questioning your ability to make rational decisions if you keep making posts like these.
Says the guy who is trying to sell this:
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=7226
Old 10-19-2011, 08:26 AM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoHauler
Says the guy who is trying to sell this:
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=7226
If I ignore you, will you go away?

Herb
Old 10-20-2011, 09:29 AM   #9

Yesterday I climbed underneath and fixed the oil leaks, it's my guess the van sat for a long time so the transmission pan and the oil pan was leaking, I tightened them both up and then scrubbed everything down with degreaser and hosed it all off, after it dried I cleaned and painted the suspension while I was under there. The fuse clamps in the fuse box was sorta rusty looking and I found the brake lights didn't work so I used a wire wheel on a dremmel to clean them up and then sprayed them with contact cleaner and wiped them down with some diaelectric grease on a Q-Tip, I have a rack of fuses so I replaced all the fuses with new ones just because. Now the brake lights work... Imagine that : )
Old 10-20-2011, 05:34 PM   #10

Lookin good so far!
ujointoffroad.com
UJOINT is offline   Reply With Quote