Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-31-2009, 07:34 PM   #1

2006 Build

Well thanks to this forum and a new good friend who I meet though this forum, who has helped us finally get going on our build with one of the largest parts of our build, the top! He found this for us for an unbelievable deal on craigs list & purchase it, went & picked it up & took it to get painted. He did all this just to help out a fellow van nut, WOW, kindness like this doesn't come around much these days!

I would like to again, thank Spurious for all that he did! Without him, none of this would have happened. Again I would like to say, it's not often that someone that you haven't even meet face to face will reach out just to help a complete stranger! Thanks Jeremy, your the best!!! (this was way over do, sorry about that)

Here's a few pic's on the start, please copy & paste this link: http://gallery.me.com/jamieshambarger#100268
Attached Thumbnails
Van top.jpg  

I'll try & post all of our progress on our family dream, when we have some.....
AdventureRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 10:34 AM   #2

Send a message via AIM to Greg In Austin Send a message via Yahoo to Greg In Austin
Re: 2006 Build

Congrats
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (15 to 18 mpg) [Johnnie]
2012 Mitsubishi MiEV (no gas required) ($.50/day in electricity) [Evie]
https://badge.facebook.com/badge/1232...3.32047100.png
Greg In Austin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 11:11 AM   #3

Well this is coming again a little late, I was having a few computer problems, so then log in problems as well, but Jage took care of me.

I spent 3-4 days with Derek & his super cool & kind girl friend, with their help & direction we completed another item off the check list, we started & completed a "Safari style" roof rack from scratch!

This was only the second time that Derek tried building a roof rack, an I know I'm a little biased, but it came out absolutely perfect. I also want to mention that staying with Derek, Liz, fourbi (spelling) & trucky couldn't have been any closer to being at my own home & shop. I was treated like royalty with home cooked meals each evening, again the whole experience was awesome!

This is the third time that someone I've meet through this forum has reached out & offered assistance to a complete stranger (in person anyway) to move our project forward! I can say without any doubt, that if it wasn't for this forum, we would have never of had the privilege of meeting & getting to know a lot of great people who have had no problem reaching out & lending a helping hand to our family's project, I would like to again, here & now say, THANK YOU TO YOU ALL!

On to the project at hand, Derek pick up our supplies (EMT Tubing & Tube bender), so when I finally arrived (a story for later on & for a different post), we were ready to get to work. We started working at about 9 am and finished that night around midnight. On the first day we got almost everything cut, welded & fab together. Derek earlier has milled out little 2 1/2 inch spacer/connecting pieces which made things go together rather quickly, again great thinking Derek!! So on the second day all we had to do was get it fitted to the top make some adjustments, finish up welding, start painting it & make the fit kit for connecting it to the roof. On our third and last day we, finished painting it & mounted it to the roof.

The way it came out & went together was nothing short of incredible, it makes our top look like it now belongs on the van, instead of it looking like the van has a chef's hat on.

Here's some pic's of the build and the rack finished all ready to go. Here's a link to all the pictures because I'm not sure how to post so many pictures. Please let me know if there's a problem with seeing the pictures though this link.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/41061875@N06/
Old 08-01-2009, 01:06 PM   #4
Site Team

Nice, but I don't know if I'm more jealous of the roof rack, or the shop it was built in.

Herb
Old 08-01-2009, 01:24 PM   #5

You are right my friend, he has one hell of a shop, but you should see how cool his house is and where it is, there killen it for early 30's in Colorado!!!
But what really matters is that awesome people!!
Old 08-02-2009, 04:53 PM   #6

Very nice rack!

I gotta get me one, what did it cost?
scoobasteeve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 08:13 PM   #7

scoobasteeve,
I need the van to build the rack. What kind of van and roof do you have on your van? The price depends on what all you want on the rack. A fully loaded rack with all the goodies and brackets custom built the way you want it for a eb van will be around 900 dollars installed. You have to supply all the goodies to go on it. Or I can out fit the rack for an additional cost. Here are a few pictures of my rack.

72 bronco aod injected 351 4 linked arb f/r 38in swampers
72 bronco 302 c4 soon to be 4bt w/ 5speed 4 inch lift 33 swampers
81 cj 7 in pieces at the moment injected twin turbo 401
ktm 525 exc, 620sx,
62 caddy convertible waiting for me to install 2007 northstar
dsw4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 01:38 PM   #8

Finally got around to uploading a picture of my van. This was taken right after I bought it (several years ago), but it is pretty much the same.

After seeing the van could you still outfit this with a rack like ADV's for $900?
Old 08-06-2009, 03:46 PM   #9

You bet! I could have fun with that roof line. I am leaving town for lake powell and beyond with the boat and motorcycles for 12 days tonight. When i return I will get with you and draw up some ides and see what you think. In the mean time be thinking about what all you want to use the rack for so we can incorporate it all into the rack.
Derek
72 bronco aod injected 351 4 linked arb f/r 38in swampers
72 bronco 302 c4 soon to be 4bt w/ 5speed 4 inch lift 33 swampers
81 cj 7 in pieces at the moment injected twin turbo 401
ktm 525 exc, 620sx,
62 caddy convertible waiting for me to install 2007 northstar
dsw4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 12:09 PM   #10

Quote:
You bet! I could have fun with that roof line. I am leaving town for lake powell and beyond with the boat and motorcycles for 12 days tonight. When i return I will get with you and draw up some ides and see what you think. In the mean time be thinking about what all you want to use the rack for so we can incorporate it all into the rack.
Derek
Sounds good. But I probably won't be ready for a while though because my budget only allows for one project at a time and I need to get my sandrail up and running first, and we all know Porsche 930 parts aren't cheap.