Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-07-2013, 09:05 PM   #11

Re: 2006 Duramax Build thread

Then I bought this at the stealership, new washer column with Cruise control! My Van came with just the basics so I am trying to add different options as I can for comfort and convenience.

Pulled the column cover off (not sure why GM wanted to make it so difficult and use star screws instead of regular phillips, flathead or Allen wrench screws Luckily I had one, and it happened to be the right size)...

Pulled the unit off and found a unused clip attached to the column harness, hmmm wonder what that could be for?

Here's a look at the two units, they are exactly the same except for the cruise control unit has a wire that comes out of it and conveniently enough that is the Cruise control wires.

So I plugged it in and put it back together and went for a little test drive and look at what popped up on my cluster when I put it in Cruise control...

Old 04-07-2013, 09:15 PM   #12

While waiting for some parts to arrive and wheels to finish being powdercoated, I decided to do some plasti-dipping...
So I used plasti-dip so I would have an idea on whether I like something or not and if I can live with it and like it than I'll paint my van like that eventually.

Took the front end apart so I didn't have much overspray on unwanted areas:

Grill before:

Grill After:

Started on the bumper and masking off the hood:

Bumper finished and Hood almost finished:

Everything finished w/out lights:

And then with everything put back on and finished:

Picked up my wheels from the Powder Coater...

Got 5 done so I can have a spare that I'm gonna mount on a tire mount.

Black with 60% Gloss:

Got the tires on and they look GOOD!!! I'm really happy with these tires, they are Toyo's Open Country A/T II LT245/75/R16.

Here they are on my spare tire:

And here's what my Van looks like with them on:

Kinda hard to see in this picture since it's so bright but they look really good IMO!

Old 04-07-2013, 09:31 PM   #13

I think the more Black accents I put on the van the better that Plasti-dip front will look. Right now it's a little front heavy with the Black.

So I also bought a few more things and blow my budget out the window in the process but I couldn't resist and had to get it!! It still has to be made so probably 4-5 weeks and it will also be powder-coated black, same as the wheels. I'm getting it built without the brush guard, just the main bumper:

I'm also getting a rear bumper built, will look something like this with the addition of a spare tire rack that will hold the tire over the Driverside rear door.

[/QUOTE]

Finished painting a few things, got all the center caps painted as well as the bow-tie up front.

Noticed that someone keyed my van...

I mean really?? It's a van, what possible reason someone could have for key'ing a van I have absolutely no idea. Anyways, I guess that means I'm doing something right!

So anyways, aside from all that, I continued masking off the lower parts of the van that I wanted painting...

And then started with the coats...

And after 4-5 coats I ripped off the masking tape and newpaper and was left with this...

Then I installed some clear corners that I was able to pick up today from someone local that I found on ebay.

Started with one to see how different/better they would look, I think they look much better than the Amber ones!

And then the second one...

And that's it, that's where I am right now. I pretty happy with it so far, I'm still debating what to do about the upper half of the van but I think I'm going to cover the whole top half of the van black, Euro style. So basically draw a horizontal line from where the A-pillar starts by the hood, all the way the where the bottom of the tail lights, and everything from those two points on up... paint black. I would also black out the tails or at least tint them pretty good.
Old 04-07-2013, 09:35 PM   #14

WOW! Impressive work. I like the closet rod retainer rods shelf idea. Pretty slick!

Gnarvan 1992 E350 Clubwagon
Advanced 4WD Systems Conversion

Sotar Legend 12.5' X 22" Cataraft
2003 BMW R1150GS-Adventure
2013 BMW R1200GS-Adventure
Gnarvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 10:05 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by webbmac
We purchased it new from a Chevy dealer, already converted to 4x4 and with a full SMB conversion with pop-top. I really loved how it drove and rode and obviously the Duramax was a huge bonus both for quiet and power. We sold it because our kids were outgrowing it so we made the move to a 10' truck camper.

Are you going to convert yours to 4x4? Would be good to see someone do as I don't think any company is doing a solid front axle now. Here is the for sale thread for our van for some pics: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=10246

WOW! That was a clean and awesome rig!! First D-max I've ever seen outfitted like a sports mobile! Like I said I never even knew what a sports mobile was until a few days ago! Yours gave me some good ideas! If you don't mind my asking what does one of those already outfitted costs? Not asking what you sold it for but what does something like that go for?

Yes I am planning on converting it to 4x4 but am gonna keep the IFS. I also plan on ripping out the rear suspension and building a 4-link, helper bags and air-ride if I can. I'm gonna have to figure it all out when I get to that point. I use this Van as my ToyHauler, Bike transporter and camper for when I go riding out in the desert. Also with the great MPG's I get out of this I'm using it as my commuter here in crappy LA traffic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnarvan
WOW! Impressive work. I like the closet rod retainer rods shelf idea. Pretty slick!
Thanks!! I'm just trying to figure out how to make this on a budget!!
I use this to haul stuff and bikes all the time so whatever I build I have to try and do it so that I can keep the cargo area clear for stuff.
Old 04-07-2013, 10:39 PM   #16

Send a message via MSN to bettyford

Welcome to the forum,

I also have a 2006.

Ron
Old 04-07-2013, 11:01 PM   #17

Send a message via MSN to bettyford

Great tip on the cruse control I will be buying the new switch tomorrow.

Ron
Old 04-08-2013, 04:51 AM   #18

Awesome build! Thanks for sharing.

My Build Thread
SCBrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 03:27 PM   #19

Great build.

may I ask where you found the folding bed concept as I am looking for something similar?

I am in CA and hope you can advise where one can locate it....thanks
Old 04-08-2013, 03:40 PM   #20

Welcome to the forum and congrats on your build so far! Looks great!

Plasti-dip question. I just recently bought a can and masked off a couple of small parts I wanted to dip. I noticed when I pulled the tape that it wanted to pull the dip off (that I wanted to be there) as well. Did you go along your mask line with a razor blade or did it just peel evenly with the blue tape?
I was using some crappy older regular masking tape, so I'm not sure if that was part of the problem.

Thanks
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote