Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-19-2017, 08:08 AM   #1

2012 E-350 EB V10, 4x4, CCV Top

Hi all,

I have been lurking here for several months and now it's time to jump in. I have learned a lot, but now I finally have a van, I need some serious help.

Last week we picked up a 2012 Ford E-350 EB V10 Cargo van. We have been looking for a low mileage van, and was getting worried we would never find one, but a van with 46K miles turned up at a local dealer. We took a look and it was in mint condition. As we looked it over and could not find a single scratch or defect anywhere on the van.

Our plan in the next 2-4 years is to complete the PanAm. We want to created a van that will work for long term living. Before that, we will use it in the deserts and mountains of Utah and the mountain west.

Here are our high level plans for the conversion. I want to use future posts to map out the upgrades in more detail, and get your help and advise.

2012 E-350 van
4x4, lift, wheels and tires
Aluminess bumpers and box
CCV high top
A couple of windows
Compressors/tank/lights
EB-50 style layout

So, that's the short list. Now we have the van, I can start planning the details.

I am looking forward of everyone input.

My first question is, "Do I want to track the cost of the conversion?" My guess is no?

Thanks

cthayn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 08:14 AM   #2

Garage
Welcome! Let's see some pix

As far as tracking costs, yes. But not to see the ungodly amounts of money you spend (I total nothing ever), but in case you need to make a claim with insurance. Gotta have proof of what you've spent in case of an accident.
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 08:19 AM   #3

Here are a few pics from the dealer website.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 11-20-2017, 06:52 AM   #4

Shenrie, you are right about the costs.

4X4:

Our first step is the 4x4 conversion. Based on reviewing the forum countless times, we have narrowed it down to either Agile or Quadvan. They both have their pros and cons, but it looks like either one is a good options. They are both the same distance from me, and the cost is pretty close, given the options I am interested it. The main difference in cost is the Cali sales tax, partially offset by the cost of shipping for Aluminess bumpers/box to Oregon.

It sounds like Agile is available for conversions in the next few months and Quadvan may be out 4-6 months. That may be our deciding factor.

I know this has been discussed before, but I would still like some input on the pros and cons of each of these converters. It does seem like either setup would be a great choice.

Thanks for your input.
Old 11-20-2017, 07:07 AM   #5

Have you considered the UJOR kit in either DIY or having it done?
And had three other E350s...
Bbasso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 08:58 AM   #6

I️ really didn’t consider Ujoint due to distance and not knowing anyone local with experience. They certainly have a good reputation.

It seems the coil spring front suspension is advantage over the leaf spring in terms of ride quality. Also improved travel and turning radius. What are the big advantages of the front leaf spring setup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-20-2017, 09:30 AM   #7

Ignorance speaking here: Would it make sense to do the rest of (some of the rest of) the conversion first to get the weight close to target before having the 4x4 conversion. Thereby only needing to adjust the suspension that once?

(I guess you can always estimate. I dunno, I'm asking).

Also I suggest getting on the schedule for a pop-top ASAP. Its a long wait and I don't regret that I called CCV and got on their schedule literally while I was waiting for paperwork at the dealer when buying my van.
Old 11-21-2017, 06:54 AM   #8

Good input on getting the van outfitted before converting to 4X4. I agree that is probably best, but the realities of scheduling the conversion and time to build out the interior means that I will get the 4x4 conversion first. I guess I can always do additional tuning afterwards. Thanks for the input.

We hopefully are days from getting a slot with CCV for the poptop. If the communication improves, we maybe able to schedule today or tomorrow.

Anyone with input regarding Agile vs Quadvan? Pros or cons of their 4x4 system?
Old 11-21-2017, 07:19 AM   #9

Garage
http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...ts-3250-3.html

Google Sled Hockey - You won't be disappointed.
Jsweezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 07:38 AM   #10

Great looking van! I'd keep the wheels with the conversion if you can.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote