Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-17-2013, 07:44 PM   #21

Re: 2013 E350 New Build

Will you be cutting the backs out of the boxes to fit over the wheel wells?

lifeinthesouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 08:45 PM   #22

No, they will be set on a platform right above the wheel wells.
skinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 02:53 PM   #23

After drawing, moving, measuring, moving, drawing, moving, did I mention moving??? I am finally happy with my layout. I have built a mock up of the bases that will be right above the wheel wells, the bed platform, and the rear drivers side cabinet.

Taken from front passenger side.
Bed in folded position. It will all fold flat on the install. The clamps etc. are keeping it up now.

From the back. Beretta is already eyeballing the bed.

In the open position. The fiberglass rods used for bracing will be replaced with 1/2" aluminum rods that will attach to the aluminum angle under the ply.
Attached Thumbnails
photo 3-3.JPG   photo 4-1.JPG   photo 2-3.JPG  
Old 10-21-2013, 03:01 PM   #24

Same from the back.

Cabinet mock-up
Attached Thumbnails
photo 2-4.JPG   photo 2-5.JPG   photo 3-5.JPG  
Old 10-21-2013, 03:18 PM   #25

Water storage. The porta pot will sit on the floor behind the water.

Whales water pump connection with pressure switch. Is there a way to rotate pictures on here???

Back side of pressure switch and the shower mixing valve
Attached Thumbnails
photo 4-3.JPG   photo 1-6.JPG   photo 2-6.JPG  
Old 10-21-2013, 03:36 PM   #26

This is the flooring I have picked out and a mock-up of it. I'll be using Londeck Ridgeline on the floor and Londeck Sand on the sides of the lower platform, both in the Russet color. The aluminum angle will be screwed onto the floor with a thin piece of weather strip under it. I will attach the Londeck Sand to the pre cut plywood before setting it in place on the angle, and then drill and install 1/4" stainless through bolts to fasten it in place.
Attached Thumbnails
photo 3-6.JPG   photo 5-1.JPG  
Old 10-21-2013, 10:23 PM   #27

Looks great but there might be an issue. If you take a closer look at your 2nd picture in post #23 it's pretty obvious your dog is very confused and perplexed...

Way to go!

Cheers
Mr. D
1965 Econoline Travelwagon
A few bicycles...and sandals ;)
Abitibi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 04:53 AM   #28
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoHauler
Gotta love the enthusiasm of guys like you and BoyWonder, who are starting their builds without even owning a van. That should be inspiring to everyone who owns a van and is hesitating on starting the build out on their dream van.

Herb
Gotta agree it is a great idea-----I was thinking using an old factory cargo mat or tape on the floor as a starting point for placing things.

Having now built out three cargo/work vans I could do it again without the actual van, assuming I'd use my favorite post '97 E250 or E350, extended body.

Skinny can you tell us a bit more about your Highway Products cabinets? What did you order, the final cost plus shipping if that's not too personal? They look like something I could use in my own van.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 06:48 AM   #29

I don't mind sharing. I'll even post the quote from Highway Products. They were kind of expensive, but for my needs, well worth it. Besides being light weight, durable, and way more secure than wooden boxes made out of saw dust and glue, they give me a lot more piece of mind carrying around a "lot" of camera gear. The drawer unit was a custom build so it had to go through engineering, etc.. The smaller boxes are a stock item. I had ordered some others that were very close to the same size that would have been custom when Mike told me about these. Faster and a little less expensive. So yes, I have rain gutters on interior boxes, just in case I burn my toast and set off the sprinkler system. But seriously, they will come in handy. I am building a small portable table that will hook over the lip with a folding leg on the other side and will attach anywhere along the front of the boxes.
Attached Thumbnails
Quote-7174.gif  
Old 10-23-2013, 04:59 AM   #30
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA

For high quality custom storage that's not a bad price. I consider such expenditures a one time cost, they could be relocated to another van if that ever becomes necessary.

Keeping things secure and protected is worth the cost---try shopping for new Snap On tool boxes!

Thanks for the info Skinny!
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote