Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-28-2017, 07:26 AM   #11

Thanks MG, im still researching my options, but your cummins project looks badass for sure.

I love having a project, but I dont know if one that big is good for me

Rockman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 12:09 PM   #12

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmetalworks View Post
Hey there! MG is me. hit me up if you have any questions about our builds/services

Hi.
I would love to see this new Cummins 5.0 V8 diesel in an Econoline? Lightweight full powered with new M2 two stage Turbo developing 300hp.
2008 Yellow Ford E350 6.0 diesel eb50 4x4, Front E Locker, Asheville Eng Rebuil 20th @ 261miles, ARP Studds, 200amp Alternator, Performance Aluminium Radiator, OnBoardAir, RoadmasterActiveSuspension, Front & Rear Aluminess with Spare Tire Carrier, Aluminess Roof Rack, Titan Aft 30gallon Fuel Tank.
Sheriffdoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 05:46 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheriffdoug View Post
Hi.
I would love to see this new Cummins 5.0 V8 diesel in an Econoline? Lightweight full powered with new M2 two stage Turbo developing 300hp.
I'd love to see it too! Who wants to have their van converted?
mgmetalworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 11:48 AM   #14

Gonna throw this question out there to MG,
other than replacing every wire, computer, and everything other than the frame, could the 5.0 cummins be put into my 5.4 gasser ?

I was told no, but if yes, maybe $20k
Old 03-01-2017, 12:40 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockman View Post
Gonna throw this question out there to MG,
other than replacing every wire, computer, and everything other than the frame, could the 5.0 cummins be put into my 5.4 gasser ?

I was told no, but if yes, maybe $20k
You wouldn't have to throw everything away. I've reused a lot of what came off my van. It was a 5.4L when I started too...

I think $20k is a little shy of the actual costs to convert. I haven't seen current pricing from Cummins for a crate engine but I'm pretty sure to get everything you need just for the engine you'd be 3/4 through that figure (buying a brand new engine, not a salvage yard find). You can figure $4k for a trans too... more if you want an Allison 6-speed.
mgmetalworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 05:39 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmetalworks View Post
I haven't seen current pricing from Cummins for a crate engine but I'm pretty sure to get everything you need just for the engine you'd be 3/4 through that figure (buying a brand new engine, not a salvage yard find). You can figure $4k for a trans too... more if you want an Allison 6-speed.
I imagine we'll start seeing some wrecked Nissan Titan XDs soon enough. Could probably use the Aisin from the truck too? Aisin publishes the solenoid diagrams, and I think the OEM controller only needs a CAN-Bus signal for speed and throttle, and transmission range selection?
Old 03-06-2017, 01:38 PM   #17

I just stopped by a local dealer to inquire about the 2.8..
They (as they should) make it sound quite reasonable. with 181hp and 369torqe, and 6900lbs of towing. its small, but seems to fit in the mix for that size engine. They are getting a couple in a couple of weeks and they will call so I can test drive.

One additional note, this dealer offers a lifetime warranty. I havent read the fine print, but the broad strokes were they cover every moving part, as long as I own it, and as long as I have record of ASC mechanic doing the services like oil. That seems pretty nice to me.

Im really in a spilt decision at the moment, drop 7k or so on my 5.4 to get it lowered and Agile RIP plus a fixed top and build a new interior or Ctl+Alt+Del and start with a new van. #firstworldproblems
Old 03-07-2017, 09:01 AM   #18

It's interesting, although there is a small blurb about a turbo diesel motor coming in "early 2017" you still have no option to build/configure one.
As a side note, I would think that the diesel motor would help a 4x4 configuration robbing from the Colorado, and expresavana AWD parts bins.

Edit, thy appear to be fitted with the new 8speed auto...
Brian94ht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 10:51 AM   #19

The 2017 trailer towing guide lists the 2.8L van as capable of towing anywhere from 5800# to 6800#, depending on window configuration and wheelbase. The big catch is that the GCVWR is 13,000#. This is a pretty dramatic drop from the 19,000# GCVWR of last year's 6.6L or the 20,000# of the most capable E350s, when they were still available.

Realistically, you are looking at a maximum trailer towing capacity of 3500#, if your 2.8L van is set up with a typical camper conversion.
beaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 11:00 AM   #20

yeah, its def an 8speed and the rear end is I *think* a 3.43 or something close to that.

Ill get to test drive in two weeks, they have 3 coming in. Its pretty clear that chevy is going for the economy expedite crowd... saving the express line for a few more years since the frame is bulletproof etc.

I do WAY more road driving now and I was *told* that this van gets 28mpg! of course empty and stock, but that is song to my ears for how I drive now. I need AWD or locking rear (which is offered), but love my 4x4.

I dont like the idea of buying a new van ,and having to put a fiberglass top on it first thing, when everyone else already has a tall. But damn, the transit is ugly.

Tags
diesel, express, savanna