Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-26-2017, 11:39 AM   #1

2017 Express with 2.8 Duramax?

After 11 great years with my '06 econoline Quigley homegrown and upgraded suspension, im looking for a clean slate. I would love to hear what you guys think of the prospect of the 2.8 Duramax in the Express or Savana.

I would LOVE to just have a Ext Econoline with a Diesel, but again, kinda looking for a (cough) new rig. I have had a new 4x4 sprinter in mind for years, but the maintenance cost for the first few thousand miles seem to be high(ish) and just about every climber in the country seem to have one. Another reason I love my rig as is.

My tentative plan is to look at the express or savanna, with locking rear diff, then add a fixed roof (just as I have been planning to do with my econoline for years)

Love to hear your thoughts.

Rockman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 09:22 PM   #2

Why not a Transit? The Express with the 2.8 won't be anymore capable with so little motor and has way more curb weight to haul around.
Old 02-26-2017, 10:09 PM   #3

I can't imagine driving an Express with a 2.8 liter. Seems like a little motor for a heavy van. Given the likelihood of an up charge for it when it comes out I think your money is better spent elsewhere. Try tracking down a 15 or older with the 6.6 or yes a Transit. Heck do a Cummins repower via MG. It'll be interesting to see what they ask for the 2.8 Express but I'd venture your money could be better spent with a little creative thinking.
Quigley with Agile RIP, 6.0 PSD
WhitH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 06:37 AM   #4

Many thanks for that. I was wondering if the 2.8 would be too light for a homebuild.

@whith, whats a MG? im up for some creative thinking for sure, and I just really dislike the look of the Transit. Id rather get a Sprinter 4x4 but I really rather have an old style (econoline or express) if I can get what I want in the end.

Mainly,
I NEED to be able to stand up
Id like to have a good, solid diesel
Id like it to be the extended body style.
I want 4x4 but at least need AWD or locking rear diff.

I have a sprinter completely picked out, down to the wheels, but with that price tag, and the first couple of hundred thousand miles maintenance costs, Im at least looking around for other options.
Old 02-27-2017, 07:55 AM   #5

MG is this guy:

http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...rks-19015.html

http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...ect-10952.html
Quigley with Agile RIP, 6.0 PSD
WhitH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 09:27 AM   #6

Why does it have to be diesel??
Old 02-27-2017, 06:24 PM   #7

Well mainly because of torque and longevity. the next van I get I want to last basically forever. But other than that, you know, just because.
Old 02-27-2017, 07:11 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockman View Post
Well mainly because of torque and longevity. the next van I get I want to last basically forever. But other than that, you know, just because.
Fair enough!
Old 02-27-2017, 08:00 PM   #9

Quote:
I'm not convinced small-displacement, high-output diesels gain you any longevity. Or torque for that matter. The 3-ish liter diesels come up pretty short on torque compared to the 3.5L EcoBoost or the V10.

If you want torque and longevity, a MGMetalWorks Cummins 6.7L E350 really is the way to go IMO!

PS - The Chevy Colorado does pretty well with that motor, but it also weighs 1500 pounds less, compared to a non-converted cargo van. I'm pretty sure if you stuck 4,000 pounds in the back of a Colorado, which would then weight about what a mild camper conversion Express would weigh, performance wouldn't be so hot...
Old 02-27-2017, 09:36 PM   #10

Quote:
...whats a MG?...
Hey there! MG is me. hit me up if you have any questions about our builds/services
mgmetalworks is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, express, savanna