Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-21-2016, 09:41 PM   #11

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoHauler View Post
Very innovative, and nicely executed. Be careful in high winds though, that rear panel could make quite a sail.

Herb
What are you talking about? Its my new SPOILER! hoping to get a few more MPG out of this beast...jk Its bolted down pretty overkill... also these are 100lb capacity each Drawer Sliders. But most likely only have them out when parked or mellow days. I have a 200amp Alternator that will take care of most the charging while driving.

ebflow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 09:41 PM   #12

Bonus, doubles as a rear awning

Cheers
David

"Another great day ruined by responsibilities"
1965 Econoline Travelwagon
A few bicycles...and sandals ;)
Abitibi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 09:50 PM   #13

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wirehead View Post
Very nice. As the new owner of a CCV high top I would love to hear how this works out for you. What is your L track mounted to? Is that Unistrut below the L track?
I was going to use Unit Strut, but already had the L-Track. I didn't want to put a bunch of holes through the top so I used Aluminum Square Tube bolted in three spots to the top. Figured it would have more structure from being square. Then bolts/secured L-track to that. Kinda went with it, next time I would probably just do the unistrut. But I like the fact it can't move around or come loose like unistrut nuts can over time. Specially while driving.
Old 12-22-2016, 06:48 AM   #14

I've often thought of a similar design but doesn't the second panel being covered reduce the amount of solar harvest of the constantly exposed panel? In series or parallel thingy?
And had three other E350s...
Bbasso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 07:54 AM   #15

Garage
Nice, nice, nice!
Old 12-22-2016, 08:17 AM   #16

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbasso View Post
I've often thought of a similar design but doesn't the second panel being covered reduce the amount of solar harvest of the constantly exposed panel? In series or parallel thingy?
Yes, Covered it would only be producing 150watts (one panel worth). It won't lower the output of the other panel, its wired parallel. When Uncovered its 300w. I will only be using this when stopped and camped. Most my power with be generated from the high output alternator while driving. I don't suspect I will need them both all the time open and charging. Specially don't need solar charging when driving.
Old 12-31-2016, 11:31 PM   #17

Great solution, and a nice clean install. Thanks for sharing.
www.DirkMitchell.com
Dirk Mitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 02:00 PM   #18

Are the three spots you bolted the tube to the roof the same anchor bolts that CCV uses for the internal tracks? Just wondering because that would minimize the holes in the roof to the existing holes.
Is there a reason why you used the tube/L-track combo instead of just bolting the L-track to the roof?
Wirehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 05:17 PM   #19

Badassery! Kicked something similar around but chickened out.

Good ideas.
odinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 10:27 AM   #20

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wirehead View Post
Are the three spots you bolted the tube to the roof the same anchor bolts that CCV uses for the internal tracks? Just wondering because that would minimize the holes in the roof to the existing holes.
Is there a reason why you used the tube/L-track combo instead of just bolting the L-track to the roof?
To secure the L-track down properly it would of had to have 4-6 holes through the roof. So by using square tube i was able to use only 3 holes per side. Which made it alot stronger and I have access under the panels to the connections. These were mounted different from the CCV track bolts. which where to far apart for my panels and the way I have it them mounted to the track. Been driving on the highway and no probs yet. Still solid.