Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-01-2014, 09:43 AM   #1

4x4 Shifter Hole???

We have been working on redoing our cab and think we found where the water was entering. The hole where our 4x4 shifter goes through the floor is completely exposed. There's a boot on top but nothing underneath so the padding on the carpet will soak up any water that gets thrown up into that space. We actually didn't realize this until we were installing the brand new Ford vinyl flooring ( ) so we are looking for any ideas to help limit or prevent any possible water intrusion.

At the least, we will be removing the padding that is attached to the new vinyl floor and replacing it with reflectix style material (TBD). Access to the under side of the shifter is fairly easy but we can't think of where to begin to seal that up. Maybe another boot?

-John

Old 08-01-2014, 10:01 AM   #2

Re: 4x4 Shifer Hole???

Hmmm. Now I'm going to have to go look at new van. Never noticed that, but since new van is same year Quigley, I probably have the same setup.
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 10:52 AM   #3

Re: 4x4 Shifer Hole???

I would. We're thinking something was there but has fallen off in the 14 years of service. It's not obvious until everything was removed and also not until we were putting everything back together, even though we could see the ground once we removed the boot. Gotta love how sometimes the obvious is just not so obvious.

-John
Old 08-01-2014, 10:56 AM   #4

Re: 4x4 Shifter Hole???

Fixed subject misspelling... maybe I need a nap.

-John
Old 08-03-2014, 03:30 AM   #5
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA

Don't beat yourself up too badly John---we've all missed the so-called "obvious" in our pasts.

Not too familiar with what access you have to the underside of that opening but I'll throw something out.

If the opening hasn't already been treated with POR-15 or its like I'd do that first. Next I'd get a piece of 1/16" or 3/32" rubber sheeting and make a "reverse boot" for the underside. It could be attached to the under floor with something like 3M's Super Weatherstrip Adhesive which is pretty much weather-proof.

You'd form the rubber sheeting similar to the top boot so the shift lever can move through its normal motions without stretching it.

I do wonder though how wet or soaked is the carpet & padding now?
JWA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 08:12 AM   #6

Mine is open too and I have no water intrusion there.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 09:00 AM   #7

The van hasn't moved an inch since we installed the new vinyl mat so it's still dry. Once we gutted it we left it for a couple days to test where the water was getting in. Our afternoon storms didn't add one drop so we are assuming the moisture is getting in from the shifter location. Maybe it's getting in from driving in the rain? We're going to remove the new mat and cut a matching pattern of the padding out of reflectix type material and swap it. Gonna order some tonight.

We were thinking of getting a second boot and installing it lower than the existing one with the rim pushed up to the van floor instead of on top of it. Re-install the current one to make a sandwich. Not sure of the binding factor on the shifter though. If that's what we do, maybe use the 3M underneath but bolt the top and bottom together to keep it all square?

-John
Old 08-04-2014, 03:58 AM   #8
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA

John that second boot would be a faster, easier way to accomplish the same as I suggested. Instead of the 3M adhesive though use an exterior grade silicone sealer/adhesive to hold the top edge of the bottom boot against the underside of the floor. This would allow somewhat easy removal if that's ever necessary.
JWA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 07:25 AM   #9

We rebuilt our new vinyl mat this weekend using EZ-Cool in place of the automotive batting it came with (no pictures again - we super suck). I read on another topic that the water could be coming from the windshield but only if the front end was lower so we turned the van around to get it in that exact position. After our afternoon shower there was a hand sized puddle in front of the driver's seat. Out came the ladder and sure enough the seal around the window is crap.

I'm glad we replaced the batting but it was probably unnecessary. It was a total PITA since the mat was brand new. They use a serious amount of adhesive. We used the factory batting to trace a template with a sharpie on the EZ-Cool and then cut it out with fabric scissors and a thin box cutter. We made three layers, adhered them together, and then adhered them to the vinyl. We used 3M General Trim Adhesive (08088) for all of it.

We figured the new passenger swivel base could be a problem due to the thickness, it was, so we removed one of the three EZ-Cool layers directly under it. Everything bolted in place and seems fine. We dug around to find all of the random trim pieces and finally got most of the cabin put back together. Starting to look like a van again!

An appointment is set to have the windshield either resealed or replaced. This is something we are not brave, or stupid, enough to attempt to do. We will eventually double boot the shifter but it is way way low on the list.
Old 08-11-2014, 08:28 AM   #10

Glad to hear I'm not the only one with a windshield seal failure. Upper drivers side. Noticed it leaking last winter. Will have replaced once (if) it rains again here in the Bay Area.

Phil

- 2005 EB50 6.0PSD - SMB 4x4
pjpvi is offline   Reply With Quote