Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-12-2011, 03:48 PM   #1

4x4 Tour's Sportsmobile Build: Interior

I might as well start a post, since I am joining you guys in this homebuild quest.

Today, I completed a matching charcoal fabric covered side wall (was a passenger van, hence the 2 window handles, which will be hidden by the counter top). I then made a sub box, covered it, and attached it to a 3/4 inch birch support wall, which also houses a mostly hidden 1000 watt 5-channel amp. The opposite side of wall will have a dual fold laptop holder. My HP DV7 has a ATSC HD TV tuner, so its basically perfect for van camping.

Old 04-12-2011, 04:18 PM   #2

Re: 4x4 Tour's Sportsmobile Build: Interior

Nice progress! I really like the charcoal fabric with your floor tiles. That combo is going to make for a super clean looking finish. Was the divider behind the seat steel or wood?

How much air flow do you need around the amp? Will you be putting some sort of cover or box over the top? I always get concerned for audio components that are out in the open (visually) but I guess you can probably barely see it the way it tucks behind the drivers seat.
Old 04-12-2011, 04:38 PM   #3

It looks deceptive, but there's almost 2 inches clearance when I have the seat moved to where I sit (I'm 5-10). I wanted to make sure a taller person would have minimal leg room issues if I sell the van. The floor tiles have all the colors in them that I will be incorporating. I bought white T-molding to bring out some contrast. I really need to see if there are any more boxes of tile left (clearance deal). It's real handy building a section at a time..lol

I will have to see how hot the amp gets, which will determine a cover possibility (good tip, thanx). It's really not very noticeable in either case. Can't wait to get rid of the door chime when I dig in to the dash though, tomorrow. Drove me nuts today.
Old 04-12-2011, 06:48 PM   #4

What do you guys think of the top two-tone seat(s)?

http://www.rvandvansurplus.com/seating_ ... etype=Van#
Old 04-12-2011, 06:54 PM   #5

Also, has anyone used these van propane tanks? What's the average size you guys are using? 5, 7, 11 gallon sizes?

http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/lp-g ... =froogle_p
Old 04-12-2011, 07:30 PM   #6

I've got the 23"x10" tank mounted amidships on the driver's side. That's all that would fit (and it still required a little "fabrication"). Filled it about six weeks ago and have been winter camping at altitude almost every weekend. I've got a Suburban 20,000btu furnace, the only thing connected to the propane, and have a little less than half a tank of propane left. Your propane needs might be different if you plan to hook a stove or hot water system to the tank.

Btw, very happy with the Suburban. Bloody hot though a tad noisy. Sometimes I warm up food next to the heat duct!

I've got two-tone leather seats. Tan and brown. But I'm color blind so everything's tan, brown or grey.

Good luck with the build. Sounds like you got the "van virus."
mtnrafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 10:49 PM   #7

Would this work, without having to make a door?

http://cgi.ebay.com/PROPANE-NEW-MANCHES ... 415843e5a7
Old 04-13-2011, 08:21 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4tour
Would this work, without having to make a door?
I don't think you can do anything without having to add a door. Fill nozzles are unwieldy and the tank (I'm guessing) needs to be level. The good news is the doors are prebuilt, so apart from the cut it shouldn't be too painful.
Old 04-13-2011, 10:48 AM   #9

Thanks for the info. My other thought was using a pancake-tpye 11 gallon propane tank I have. Since I cut out the spare tire frame to make a storage area, I could mount it vertically under that area, and just cut a 6 inch circular hole through the van floor and plywood, with a plywood door latch covering it. I can have it sideways, so I could open/close the valve from inside/outside. It would also be protected within the hitch, and not subject to side damage, as with a side mounted one.

I would just fabricate a swingarm type tank holder, so I can also use/fill the tank away from the van. Cost- $0

Honest opinions please?
Old 04-13-2011, 11:06 AM   #10

OR,

Get this puppy and make a quick-release for it, located under the spare tire area. I have a luggage rack, so Im not too concerned about that area's use.

I'm also working on a pick-up truck trailer with a full-floater and 35's on it, to store stuff on long trips. Im going to take the bed off and do some funky stuff to it

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... K:MEWAX:IT