Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-05-2013, 12:53 PM   #1

7.3 Instrument Cluster Tachometer

There have been posts here by people solving the (stupidly IMO) left out tachometer in 99-03 Econoline diesels by R&R w a cluster from an F series.

I was salvage yarding Saturday and found one. When I told the owner what and why, he said, "Hold yer horses," and asked these questions:

1. Since NONE of the diesel E series have tachs, why should I expect there'll be any wiring back there to plug the F cluster harness in to?

2. Again, since tach isn't an option in E series, why should I expect an E series ECM to recognize the tach is there and supply readings? For that matter, will an E brain recognize and play nice w an F speedometer and other gauges?

I said I donno; but I know some guys who do.

So those of you who've swapped clusters, what are the answers to the above?

JC

Old 11-05-2013, 01:25 PM   #2

Garage
Re: 7.3 Instrument Cluster Tachometer

of course i replied to the one that got deleted...ill just type that out again

there is a cluster of wires on the firewall with a tach lead. Ill try and get pictures and colors. the only wire i dont have correct is the cc indicator. it still works, but no light in dash.

i apologize to those i told id get diagrams too. now that mine is functioning i keep forgetting to get another copy of the diagrams. i assume thats why the people i contacted for the same info never got back to me, lol. the one i have is so marked up, its not legable anymore.
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 04:14 PM   #3

All the vans have a "CTO" or clean-tach output lead.

You will have to re-pin the wire harnesses to make everything work, but everything you need is there, other than the CTO wire. THere is even a "pass-through" harness that terminate next to the CTO/PTO/VSS wires, and you can use that to get the signal wire inside without adding more holes. The other end of the pass-through is on the steering column.
Old 11-05-2013, 04:16 PM   #4

PS - make sure the cluster colors match. The one I picked up was blue instead of the green, and that was enough for me to put off the conversion. Then I bought a scan gauge instead.
Old 11-08-2013, 04:09 AM   #5
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA

So has anyone done this successfully and have even a semi-detailed how-to they can pass on? I've so far assembled EVTM's and clusters for a '98 F-Series and my existing '03 E250, know where the CTO wire is, have more than enough tooling and experience to change leads into stock connectors. All that's missing is a "this wire goes here........." step-by-step!

My biggest concern is the PCB for the anti-slosh fuel tank sender and whatever it controls--how to incorporate the one suitable for my chassis/engine into a F-Series tach speedo.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 12:14 PM   #6

Garage

Call john at quadvan. He does these or has done in the past. I saw a couple when I was there.
Old 11-10-2013, 01:49 PM   #7
JWA

Van I'll do that this upcoming week and report back what I discover. I'm sure there are a few like me who'd love this sort of upgrade or modification.

Thanks!
Old 03-02-2014, 05:01 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWA
Van I'll do that this upcoming week and report back what I discover. I'm sure there are a few like me who'd love this sort of upgrade or modification.

Thanks!
Any news about this? I also have a 99-01 F250 cluster and it waits to get into my van
schluchtenflitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 04:11 AM   #9
JWA

Well I did call John at Quadvan but the info he shared wasn't all that useful only because it most likely wouldn't transfer to vans pre-'05.

My stumbling block---besides time to experiment is how to adapt the existing chassis wiring harness into a tach equipped cluster without a huge re-wiring ordeal. Every gauge and indicator light is an easy connection, making the slosh control of the fuel sending unit and PSOM work properly with the ECU is the real uphill challenge.

I've not yet found anyone with a step-by-step method to do this, at least not one that addresses the PSOM and how it interfaces with the ECU.
Old 03-03-2014, 06:32 AM   #10

JWA: I am sure you know that Tugly has an extensive discussion of using Torque Pro in the 7.3L forum on ford-trucks.com. So, as an alternative you could just buy a Nexus 7, an OBD II connector, and the $5 Torque Pro app and run the tach off the Nexus 7:

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/13007 ... -7-3l.html

Also see:

Sportsmobileforum.com • View topic - Q Van Build Up

Didn't Adventr just accomplish this swap? May want to pm Adventr on this SMB forum?

But as to your question, I know you posted in some of these threads but don't they answer your questions?

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/89388 ... 995-a.html

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/93874 ... -tach.html

Also monitor the current thread:

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/11263 ... sible.html

And:

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/11501 ... 000-a.html
2002 E350 ext.; 160K; 7.3L; 4R100 (w/4x4 deep pan & filter); 4x4 conv. w/2007 F250/F350 coil frnt axle (oppos. dual Bilstein press. shocks cured DW) diff chg from 3.55 to 3.73 (bad!); BW1356 t.c. (bad!); LT265/70R17/E Michelin LTX M/S2; Engel MT60 Combi Fridge-Freezer; 4 BP 380J pv panels; Auragen 5kw AC gen. in top alt. position; Webasto Dual-Top; Voyager top. 1995 5.8L EB Bronco, bone stock.
E350 is offline   Reply With Quote