Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-05-2017, 06:38 PM   #1
evy

Above door storage, what are my options?

I'm trying to plan what type of storage I will be doing above the door (see pictures)

I was thinking of installing a drop down shelf with hinges (see pictures)

I'm not sure what I would put in there, papers? manuals? Drying cloth for dishes? but it would be 24" wide x 14" deep so I do have some space to fill.

The idea of doing a shelf there is because a clean ceiling would be too complicated (for me), all sorts of angles and rounded corners... no thanks, I'll hide it all behind a drop down shelf.

What would you do? And what's your setup? show me if you have pictures, thanks!

Old 06-09-2017, 07:40 AM   #2

As soon as Imgetnsome decent pics Imwill post them. I bought NEW a 2011 E250 stripped and had it built it out to my specs. I am very satisfied with the way it cam out. I am somewhat of a minimalist and did not choose to have a built in fridge( YETI 65 Qt cooler)
No built in stove (Camp Chef Propane). No pop up roof. I do have a 1,500 watt inverter and a separate house battery. Pics coming soon on Forum
Toyo AT 2's 285/R75-16's
1959 Chevy Apache Hot Rod
jjtwister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 08:52 AM   #3
evy

I wasn't getting any replies in this post, so I just went ahead with my first idea, if anyone comes up with a better idea I can still change it.

I will probably use it to store the mosquito netting that will drop down to screen the door opening for bugs.

I even thought of installing some equipment like the MPPT charge controller.

I still need to put some clips and stoppers but I will do that after I'm done with the ceiling.

Old 06-09-2017, 11:46 AM   #4

Above door storage

Great idea and it looks as if you planned it out carefully. What kind of mosquito netting will you be using for door? How will it be attached? Will it have a zipper or Velcro opening to get in and out of Van. I'm thinking I need some netting also.
BTW: if you do not already have some I suggest you Purchase some Skreenz for your drivers and passenger Windows....they are great.
Toyo AT 2's 285/R75-16's
Old 06-09-2017, 12:18 PM   #5
evy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjtwister View Post
Great idea and it looks as if you planned it out carefully. What kind of mosquito netting will you be using for door? How will it be attached? Will it have a zipper or Velcro opening to get in and out of Van. I'm thinking I need some netting also.
BTW: if you do not already have some I suggest you Purchase some Skreenz for your drivers and passenger Windows....they are great.
Thanks!
I bought one of those screens that split in the middle and magically reattach itself with magnets, sometimes you go in and out pretty often and I didn't want to have to deal with a zipper or buttons every time.
Anyway it's not installed yet, I will give it a try and see how it goes.
they include velcro strips with the screen, if you look at my last picture, behind the bottom plywood panel (that hold the hinges), you will notice a widening gap from left to right (between the plywood and the van's side panel).
I will stick the top of the screen in there, I could even remove that rubber gasket and insert the screen in the "U" and clip it back.

I don't have "Skreenz"
I was wondering how I could improve ventilation in the van, maybe that would be the way to go?
Although I was thinking of cutting some reflectix and making shades for the front cabin, and installing a thermal curtain between the front cabin and the house...
They seem easy to DIY, either with magnets or slip on type, which one do you have?
Old 06-09-2017, 01:24 PM   #6

Skreenz etc

Here is the contact for SKREENZ:
Making bug screens (Skreenz) to provide camping comfort by protecting you from bugs like flies and mosquitoes email: Blethen@Skreenz.com

They are fantastic. At night I simply put them on with windows rolled down and get great circulation with no bugs.

I also cut pieces of REFLETIX to fit my 2 back windows as well as my driver and passenger windows if needed. Its cheap and works well although I did have all my windows tinted.

Where did you obtain the mosquito netting??
thanks
J
Toyo AT 2's 285/R75-16's
Old 06-09-2017, 01:59 PM   #7
evy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjtwister View Post
Where did you obtain the mosquito netting??
thanks
J
I got mine on ebay, don't know if it's going to do a good job tho...

Magic Mesh Hands-Free Magnetic Clasp Anti-mosquito Bug Screen Door Curtain Black | eBay

They are shipped directly from China, so it can take a month to get them.
you can get them on aliexpress also, but if you look around you can probably find them in stores near your house for a couple of bucks extra, they're called "magic mesh"
Old 06-09-2017, 02:24 PM   #8

thanks man i'll check them out.
Toyo AT 2's 285/R75-16's
Old 06-19-2017, 01:59 PM   #9
evy

Old 06-19-2017, 02:25 PM   #10

Looks good. If that latch comes open on you while driving you might consider swapping to this kind, much more durable and closes stronger.

4 Southco Like Grabber Catches w/Screws 10# RV Cabinet Push to close Latch | eBay
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote