Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-23-2016, 10:04 PM   #221

Garage
The cool factor of these rigs definitely helps solidify the work and money we put into them. I can't go anywhere without someone smiling or giving me a thumbs up or even waiting around near my van to ask me questions. My wife told me after the last time someone told me how sweet it was that people really needed to stop encouraging me.

Btw I am glad you decided your rig is better for now, I think it's pretty cool!

Google Sled Hockey - You won't be disappointed.
Jsweezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 10:13 PM   #222

Garage
Did that transit happen to be the one at dicks Mackenzie ford in Hillsboro? Just curious...

Old 08-24-2016, 07:43 AM   #223

Don't do it Thom! At least not for RWD only. The Transit is great but I wouldn't give up your dialed in AWD for one, at least not yet! Surely someone will come up with a good 4wd system for one soon.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 08:27 AM   #224

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsweezy View Post
Did that transit happen to be the one at dicks Mackenzie ford in Hillsboro? Just curious...
In a way...Yes

We went to Newberg Ford in the morning to check out a van I saw online that had specs similar to what we thought would work. The crew was all over the van.

Then we went to Makenzie Ford for a pre-arranged appointment with a rep. We weren't even out of the rig and several were walking around it behaving in the typical van-crush dazed look...spots of drool on shirts and such ; )

Thom
accrete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 03:06 PM   #225

Wink the sagga continues...

Sooo... There was one last van I wanted to check out, but it was located at a dealer ~3 hours south of us on the Oregon Coast, I won't name the dealership to protect the innocent, nor name the lame ; )

Knowing a bit of how the system works I called the dealership Wednesday morning at ~8:30am and spoke to a retail salesman as the fleet crew was unavailable. The individual stated they would contact the fleet manager/salesman and get back to me. At about 8:45 he called stating the fleet contact told him the van was available and to sell it... ( I had given them the Vin I was interested in, a T-350 3.5 w/LSD LWB HR extended body cargo). I told the salesman I was willing to make the three hour drive and would take the van for a test drive upon arrival about noon. He said "I will have it ready for you".

I hang up the phone by 9am, and we get in our rig to drive south.
An absolutely BEAUTIFUL DAY on the coast...

We arrived a bit after noon in the un-named town ~3 hours south of Astoria on the Oregon Coast... We parked the rig a block away as we'd had enough of the Van Crush thing ; ) from the prior day's three Ford Dealership crews we'd spent time with.

When I walked into the dealership I introduced myself and it happened to be the fellow I spoke to that morning (he was sitting talking with someone, but immediately got up and walked toward me, and I was dressed in camo and jeans so it's not like I looked like I was there to shell out 40K on a van). I'm thinking the guy was just chatting with a local? Otherwise his abrupt get-up-talk-to-stranger without comment to the one he was conversing with was, well...poor customer relations?

So the three of us (him, my wife and I) walk out of the salesroom toward a bunch of Transits...

Have you ever played the game "Traffic Jam" ??

That is a close approximation to what the commercial lot looked like. And where was the van he said would be ready for us upon our arrival?? This is an approximation, but not intentionally exaggerated in any way... the van was sandwiched with one row perpendicular in front, two to three vehicles parallel on either side, and two rows perpendicular behind and it could not be driving forward as there was a curb, the only way out was behind and to a single exit to it's left...three rows back. Yea, ready ( < SARCASM < )

He said; "Oh, i'll have it ready for you in five minutes, we've been real busy getting ready for an off site." Seriously? And you've had THREE HOURS to figure out where to come up with "Five minutes" to get the van "ready for us"?

Now, if you know me, you know i'm a type B Zen sort of guy. My fuse is, well, LONG. My dearly beloved on the other hand? Lets just say she has stated on many occasions during our 34 year relationship that my calm in the storm has gotten her ( & us ) through some crazy times. I could practically see the smoke coming out of her ears!

The salesman turns to me stating he would jockey the other vehicles out of the way and if we'd like to take a look inside the van we could do so, and hands me the keys.

Cari and I walked to the van, I opened the door and took some measurements after placing the key on the driver's seat. A few minutes pass with no sign of progress or salesman.
Cari is even more noticeably shaken by the experience.
I had to make a decision.

I looked around the lot...he was in the cab of a large box van, one of several he would have to move before the van we were interested in was "Ready" for that test drive.

And then it happed.

With a grin on my face I asked Cari to trust me.

And with her hand in mine, we sneaked off the lot.
Hunched down below his vision. From rig to rig...

By the time we got to the van I had Cari laughing so hard I thought the neighborhood was going to start pointing at us. We felt like two teenagers that were sneaking away from just T-P'ing someone's car in their driveway.

Then, about 15 minutes later my phone rings, I hand it to Cari and say let it go to voice mail if the number is not recognized...
Then she played back the VM; "Thom, are you in the parking lot? Did you leave the neighborhood?"

That got us both laughing again. Seriously? He thought there was even a remote chance that we might stick around after being treated as such?

And THAT was the last time we will ever deal with that dealership. EVER. I don't care if they've got the perfect-for-us-rig on their lot i'll have another dealer have it brought into their lot.

You gotta laugh at life some times!

: ) Thom

PS. Then on the way home, still an occasional giggle out of the two of us, we got some awesome happy news... Our son texted us that he just made Staff Sargent (US Air Force), his 2 year-older-sister has an additional stripe as a Tech Sargent. <<< Sooo Excited and proud of him!!

After all reflecting? We think the day was perfect!
Lessons learned.
Old 08-25-2016, 03:42 PM   #226

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by accrete View Post
In a way...Yes

We went to Newberg Ford in the morning to check out a van I saw online that had specs similar to what we thought would work. The crew was all over the van.

Then we went to Makenzie Ford for a pre-arranged appointment with a rep. We weren't even out of the rig and several were walking around it behaving in the typical van-crush dazed look...spots of drool on shirts and such ; )

Thom
Well you should have swung by and said hello! Unless you took a long way between the two dealerships I am on the route from newberg to dicks.

Anyway, that dealership is great, I just got my wife a truck from there and dont have anything bad to say about them. My wife's truck has that 3.5 Eco and I had seen that transit and debated on having my wife test drive it to see if the engine felt the same.

That last story is awesome.

Old 08-25-2016, 05:53 PM   #227

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsweezy View Post
Well you should have swung by and said hello!...
Had we known we sure would have : ) Always a treat to meet and greet!

THX of the story kudos.

Thom
Old 08-25-2016, 07:09 PM   #228

Quote:
Originally Posted by accrete View Post
You caught that ey? Pondering.
Yes I did! I can't blame you as some of the newer vans drive very nice but can a new one match the old one in an overall strengths and weaknesses comparison? If so then it might be time but I would just hate to see you make a decision you regret. From your most recent posts sounds like you aren't rushing into anything so you have opportunities to weigh the pluses and minuses.
Good luck and I look forward to seeing what you decide to do. I went through selling my last one and miss some things about it but love my new van and am tailoring it to my needs. I enjoy that part of it and it is never ending....as you know!
Eric

2000 Ford E-350 7.3L Quigley 4x4 hard top with custom interior by Xtreme Fab - Sold
KTMRIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 09:02 PM   #229

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTMRIDER View Post
..Good luck and I look forward to seeing what you decide to do. I went through selling my last one and miss some things about it but love my new van and am tailoring it to my needs. I enjoy that part of it and it is never ending....as you know!
Eric
THX Eric!
And your part on "enjoying that part of it" is so true. Cari and I were talking on the way home from Tuesday's trip and touched on just what you hinted to in your reply. It is so tempting for the two of us to get some sort of seven year itch on nearly every project. It is something we have to watch out for, and I think we may have arrived a year early (it has been six years next month) !?

I am grateful for the words of encouragement received here and through PMs/emails. It helps bring calm and focus. For now we will chill. Who knows what a handful of years from now might have for any of us in the way of new & cool ! ?

Old 08-28-2016, 04:02 PM   #230

Outside mag had an informative article on 4WD vs AWD and i'm posting this for the sake of passer's by and future reference for myself.

Here is the link to the original article > 4WD vs. AWD. What’s the Difference?

While there are times I miss running the Rubicon and playing on the granite of the Sierras in the FJ40... Our current AWD on our soggy Oregon Coast is a good fit, and hey, it does have a Bed, Bath & Beyond ; )

Thom

Tags
aluminess, awd, promaster