Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-12-2016, 05:36 PM   #191

Thumbs up

Just made a trip to the local scales with the rig fully loaded. The scales show 7100lbs which is 200 lbs under the van’s GVWR. This is the first official full-load trip to the scales after the Aluminess bumpers/boxes were installed. We also upgraded the tires from P rated stock to E rated and run at a comfortable 50psi about three years ago. There is no butt sag and the rig drives like it is on rails.

; ) The only bad news is my wife realized she could only bring ~200 lbs of prospecting gear.

Thom

accrete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 07:52 PM   #192

Thumbs up

Just back from several days spent in the Quartzville Recreation area set aside by the BLM for prospecting and dispersed camping east of Sweet Home Oregon.

This was our first official camp-side use of the galley/chuck box on the recently installed Aluminess bumpers. Camp set up was easy and functional...
And wife approved.

: ) Thom
Old 04-29-2016, 07:56 PM   #193

Thumbs up

by request : ) a close up of the galley box. As stated in another post having the ability to park and open the galley box and have basically everything we need ready without hauling out a separate chuck box and all the assorted goodies to support said box... this has been a welcomed addition.

Attached Thumbnails
AccreteAWDgalleyBoxOpen.jpg  
Old 05-04-2016, 03:31 PM   #194

Lightbulb

For over a couple seasons we've played with different camp-tarp ideas. A few weeks ago I found a new home for our Fiamma F45 10" awning. While we did use it nearly every trip there were times we should not have due to winds picking up yet still a chance of rain. With minimal space inside our rig to "live" we must think outside the van for our living room. So I pondered possibilities...

One common way to get a tarp up without much fuss is a awning rail mounted to the roof with VBH tape or similar then slide the edge of tarp through slot on rail (example image from google) While this is working for many, I could see the same dangers in windy situation as I imagined with the Fiamma. I have seen both ripped off of RVs in wind not much over ~30mph which is common most outings for us here in the PNW.

Wanting to keep things simple I had a local fabricator weld appropriate brackets onto a 1.5" x 10'8" aluminum tube and mount it to the side of the fiberine fiberglass top.

Awning rail on our van:

The plan is to have two setups depending on weather conditions. During the spring through fall while on adventures where van is stationary for several days at a time we will most likely put up our 20'L x 12'W Snow White CoolTarp. It weighs about 12 lbs and we actually have it set up to go over the curb edge of roof with appropriate lines (with anti-chafe protection) to street side for securing as seen in post #192 above. There is a noticeable cooler temp under this tarp which may not make it ideal for use when temps go to much below about 60F, though we will test it this winter. The second tarp would be for quick trips of a night or two and utilize one of our Noah 16 tarps. The idea would be to toss one edge over the top of rail and have the ends tied off to curb side of rig (again with anti-chafe protection). Both set ups will allow the wind to blow through the tarps and relieve stress on tarp with no stress placed on van or rail (the tarp is only using the rail to stay above our heads at the ~7ft level and not attached in any way). At least one more use of the rail is simply a place to attach/hang camp items like bug-net or privacy walls, lanterns, etc. For either setup we are using high quality adjustable aluminum tent poles - 60" to 99".

I will report back after some field testing. I can say that the CoolTarp did well during a recent trip where other RV'ers had to take down their tarps/awnings and several screen rooms collapsed in the wind/rain. While our CT lacked some elegance as it billowed up above the roof a foot or so to relieve wind pressure (bungees were in place to allow line movement)... It allowed us to stay outside protected from the rain during the storm while others were forced inside.

Old 05-04-2016, 07:23 PM   #195

Very interested to see how the field testing of your awning rail works out. Like you, I am not a fan of the Fiamma. The best off-the-shelf option I have seen so far is the Bustop Awning, but I am still looking and your design shows a lot of promise. Standing by for your field test results!
Old 05-11-2016, 02:51 PM   #196

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitz View Post
Very interested to see how the field testing of your awning rail works out...Standing by for your field test results!
Greetings and thx for the comment.
I hope your build sees lots of fun adventures!

A couple follow-up notes. We still have just the bare aluminum finish. After reading up on how to maintain the bare surface, and reading the various product labels of items we had been using I went ahead and applied "Mothers' Back To Black Heavy Duty Trim Cleaner". This removed all water spots and finger prints with a simple swipe and dry swipe.

Over the last two days we test hung both the CoolTarp and one of our Noah 16's. The CT was hung by tossing lines over roof and then pulling and tying to street side of van's frame/wheels. The N16 was hung by tying off the front ridge line to street front frame then draping the tarp over the awning rail and attaching with Velcro to the awning mounts. Both will be tested depending on weather conditions this season.

Old 05-18-2016, 11:56 AM   #197

Thumbs up

Greetings fellow traveler. I wanted to send heart felt thanks to each visitor that has stopped by our AWD van's build thread here at the Sportsmobile Forum. Over the past five years I have enjoyed the many comments, questions, and ideas shared. Our van would not be what it is today without the interaction from the members at CheapRVLiving, ExpeditionPortal, and SportsmobileForum forums.

I was greeted with a fun surprise the other day when searching google for "AWD Chevy Van" and "Chevy AWD Van" to read up on some other builds...
"Accrete's AWD Chevy Van project" SMB Forum's build thread shows up on the first page of either search!

Wishing you and yours many happy adventures!

Old 06-29-2016, 11:34 AM   #198

Lightbulb

I've been asked where I got all the stickers/decals on our rig....
I enjoy allowing others easy access to my site and tweets since this is a social hobby of sorts : )

Attached is a collage of images I put together showing various decals I've put together. For general safety reasons I typically do not have anything on the rear of the van these days. All you see except for the big mountain "American Adventurist" decal on the galley box are on the sides so IF there is ever someone that bumps the rear they can't blame it on being distracted while reading bumper stickers!

Most of the decals I created over at "DoItYourselfLettering.com"

As you can see from those decals that are letters, nearly anything goes. And if you have a question the shop owner is quick to reply with suggestions/tips. I am 100% satisfied with my orders.

There are others that were ordered from places like Expedition Portal/Overland Journal, North West Overland, and American Adventurist.

One other detail, on the "AWD" area. It is a combination of three stickers/decals. the "AWD" is ~5" high and the "All Wheel Drive" is 1", then I found a mountain outline decal from a vendor in BC but doing a google search shows several options.
Attached Thumbnails
AWDvanstickers.jpg  
Old 07-14-2016, 08:27 PM   #199

Quote:
Originally Posted by accrete View Post
Greetings and thanks for the kudos.
We purchased the "Geometric Hulliner 72 Inches wide" in sand color that was a nice match to the stock Chevy headliner at a Portland auto upholstery shop. It is un-backed fabric so it can be stretched and formed easily similar to what you might find in a trunk liner material. Very nice look to it. My wife went GaGa with it and the 3M 77 adhesive spray!
How did the Mrs get the Hulliner so tight up to Windows?! I would think that with the curves involved as well as all the bubble wrap /mylar that it would peel back over time. Is there a piece of trim around windows that we can't see?! Awesome job regardless! Hope to use this type of material in my upcoming build!
Surfmore72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 08:07 AM   #200

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfmore72 View Post
How did the Mrs get the Hulliner so tight up to Windows?...
Greetings and great Q.
So on the slider door and rear doors what we did was pile in the insulation inside the metal shell, put one wrap of reflectix (yes I know it works better with the 1" air gap) then the hull liner. So there wasn't more than a 1/4" at most on the interior of metal doors, then she carefully lifted the rubber gasket/trim for windows and slid the edge of hull liner under. There is no noticeable heat/cold transfer on the slider or barn doors that we've noticed.

Best wishes on your build and thx again for the comments and questions.
Thom

Tags
aluminess, awd, promaster