Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-28-2016, 09:01 PM   #211

https://youtu.be/m4SHypko-1A have a look, very well thought out tarp idea.

Vancave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 08:57 PM   #212

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancave View Post
https://youtu.be/m4SHypko-1A have a look, very well thought out tarp idea.
Totally. That guy gets an award for best use of pvc on a van !
accrete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 09:12 PM   #213

Garage
Those Reepers are sweet! Did you get one yet?

Google Sled Hockey - You won't be disappointed.
Jsweezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 07:33 AM   #214

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsweezy View Post
Those Reepers are sweet! Did you get one yet?
Yes they are. and No. , (
After an afternoon of research and verifying with OR DMV, it was clear that though the rig could be licensed as an LSV (Low Speed Vehicle), it would be unusable even during my daily commute without breaking the rules of the road. It can only "Legally" be driving at a max speed of 25mph on OR roads and only on roads with posted speed limits of no greater than 35mph. There are a couple of ~1/2mile sections of roadway on the way to work (Costco) on my short commute that are posted 45mph and a ~mile of 55mph on a country road.

I've come to the conclusion that _maybe_? the Reeper I saw on Hwy101 near Florence (near the Oregon Dunes National Recreation Area) was operating with the governor plate removed (it can easily do 50/55 with it removed) was probably operating illegally, though the law may turn a blind eye as the vehicles are so close to the Dunes??

Such a cool rig. But with those regs on the books not practical for an Oregonian unless in a small town out in the sticks??

, ( Thom

PS. all that said...if anyone has a Suzuki Samurai in decent shape for sale put me on the list as a possible buyer.
Old 08-02-2016, 09:58 PM   #215

PS. all that said...if anyone has a Suzuki Samurai in decent shape for sale put me on the list as a possible buyer.[/QUOTE]

I don't own a Samuri but I have a friend who does and who tows it behind his motorhome. He told me this is one place to check: SuzukiJohn - The Las Vegas Source for Samurai Parts Service Sales both for the vehicles themselves and for most parts that are available.
Old 08-03-2016, 08:32 AM   #216

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitz View Post
...He told me this is one place to check: SuzukiJohn - The Las Vegas Source for Samurai Parts Service Sales...
Thanks so much for sharing that info and link. I'm going to keep an eye on his listings and continue researching the idea.

: ) Thom
Old 08-19-2016, 11:31 AM   #217

Lightbulb The little stove that ROCKED...

Greetings fellow traveler : )

In a _prior post on this thread_ I did a write up about our little rocket stove's first burn in camp during a trip in July. . .

Well we had another opportunity to set it up and use it for several nights during our August adventure to the Yellowbottom Recreation Area east of Sweet Home Oregon. This is one of those places we visit every season.

Here is a picture of the little rocket stove in use (we placed it inside the site's fire pit). Also in the image is the result of my morning upper body workout...that amount of cut>battoned wood represents about 20 to 24 hours worth of burn-time in the little rocket stove from what my testing so far indicates.

Old 08-23-2016, 07:50 PM   #218

Exclamation

I'll say it just to say it...

We test drove a Ford Transit 3.5eco / 3.73LS LWB HR Regular Body van today. It was a nice drive and it behaved similarly in acceleration to what we sense in our Van with its 5.3L v8.

BUT, and I think it is a big BUT! There was a street corner that we slowed to about 15mph to turn right and the left rear tire lost traction! Never in the 6 years of driving our AWD van, in wet/icy/snowy conditions have we sensed any loss of traction on any wheel. Now the van may have? but the AWD must have kicked in so quick we did not notice it.

I think we'd be giving lots up going from AWD to RWD?

And then pondering what i'd have to go through to find a buyer for our rig at around a mid+ 30 offer, cool as it is, doesn't thrill me as i'm not a used car salesman and I HATE GAMES!! And speaking of car salesmen and cool rigs... When we pulled up to both dealerships (one in Portland and then another) it was like total Van Crush. We had finance managers, parts & service managers and nearly every salesman with a pulse going gaga over the van. . .

And that doesn't help in any way as to if i'm even sane pondering selling our "cool" AWD to buy a stock RWD van.

Back home on the coast and going zen for the rest of the evening. I've had enough mental exercise for a couple days!

Old 08-23-2016, 08:53 PM   #219

Did I miss that you were thinking of selling your van? Why?

Depending on your overall use that might be a mistake, especially on the RWD only.
Eric

2000 Ford E-350 7.3L Quigley 4x4 hard top with custom interior by Xtreme Fab - Sold
KTMRIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 09:34 PM   #220

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTMRIDER View Post
Did I miss that you were thinking of selling your van? Why?

Depending on your overall use that might be a mistake, especially on the RWD only.
You caught that ey? Pondering.

Overall use:
Primary: Wife's daily driver here on the Soggy Oregon Coast (gotta luv AWD for that!)

Secondary: A once a month camping adventure typically into a US Forestry Campground in our native PNW with some light forestry road travels.

And yes going from an AWD to a RWD?? crazy?? in our wet conditions?

But why even ponder such a move? Great question.
I retire in a handful of years. Though we are very young at heart, my imagination takes me to gentler camps in my future. So all off-pavement goodies and bling will not be needed. It took ~five years~ to build the rig paying cash for the mods along the way...if we were to start now?? it might be ready by the time I retire?

Yea, crazy.

Tags
aluminess, awd, promaster