Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 06-28-2019, 12:55 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 15
Question Aluminum Gauges?

Hi

What is the standard/recommended gauge for aluminum rack pipe or tubing for a the SMB style roof racks?

We are looking to DIY and I can't seem to find much info about that. I do see some for bumpers, but not for racks.

Thanks!
__________________

optionsexplored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 03:50 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
TomsBeast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Brentwood, CA
Posts: 784
UJOR also sells an aluminum rack in knockdown form (for shipping).


Are you planning on making your own?
__________________

__________________
1995 E350 7.3 Diesel, 4x4 high roof camper, UJOR 4" lift
TomsBeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 04:55 PM   #3
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 15
Yes, we're wanting to fab it ourselves.

Any leads on sources for pre-bent mandrel aluminum tubes? That's proving hard to find locally.
optionsexplored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 07:37 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
1der's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 1,885
Where are you located? Perhaps add to your profile.

I know someone in N Hollywood, CA that might be able to help w bending.
__________________
Ray
Beastie 3: 2002 7.3 EB Cargo: Agile TTB, CCV Mid Top, Custom Walk Through, Lots of stuff added. BlingMyRig.com
1der is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 08:04 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Jeffrey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Santa Barbara, CA
Posts: 1,636
Garage
Unless you have cutting, bending, mitering, machining and welding capabilities, fabricating your own will not prove to be cost or design effective.
__________________
'07 RB-50 - My Photo Site -- K1JGS --
Jeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 09:16 PM   #6
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1der View Post
Where are you located? Perhaps add to your profile.

I know someone in N Hollywood, CA that might be able to help w bending.
Well, that's complicated... but the van and work will be done in Portland OR

I'm not opposed to ordering standard bend pieces and shipping them, there isn't anything complex, just some 90s and 30 or 45s.

The local guys I have been able to get in touch with are are all big shops who are super busy and not interested in a small project.
optionsexplored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 09:17 PM   #7
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
Unless you have cutting, bending, mitering, machining and welding capabilities, fabricating your own will not prove to be cost or design effective.
We have all the stuff, just no mandrel bender. We will probably not save a bunch but it will be fun and a learning process.
optionsexplored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 10:15 PM   #8
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Mar Vista, CA
Posts: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by optionsexplored View Post
We have all the stuff, just no mandrel bender. We will probably not save a bunch but it will be fun and a learning process.
Industrial Metal Supply can help you, they'll do 1 piece or 1000 pieces, but I'm not sure if they ship.
You could just order the radiuses, they would be small, light and easy to ship.

https://www.industrialmetalsupply.co...etals/Aluminum
gwbuild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 05:59 AM   #9
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwbuild View Post
Industrial Metal Supply can help you, they'll do 1 piece or 1000 pieces, but I'm not sure if they ship.
You could just order the radiuses, they would be small, light and easy to ship.

https://www.industrialmetalsupply.co...etals/Aluminum
I took a look, it doesn't show bending services or pre bent pieces.

Do you know if they do bending? I will contact them anyway. Thanks.
optionsexplored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 04:32 PM   #10
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Mar Vista, CA
Posts: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by optionsexplored View Post
I took a look, it doesn't show bending services or pre bent pieces.

Do you know if they do bending? I will contact them anyway. Thanks.
I would be shocked if they didn't, their building is probably the size of a football field and most of it's full of metal fab. machinery. I've had some tubing bends done there although not aluminium. I spend way too much time and money everytime I go.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20190504_114150183.jpg   IMG_20190504_114237796.jpg   IMG_20190504_121357145.jpg  
__________________

gwbuild is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Sportsmobile SIP or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:28 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.