Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-28-2015, 11:15 AM   #1

Anyone attempt to put PH top on different model van?

I have been searching high and low for a non rusted out halfway decent Dodge RAM B250 with no luck. 92 was the last year they made this model then changed body style. The PH top I have is in great shape but the van it is on is falling apart and I am thinking I am going to go a completely different route with this thing. I am going to build a lift inside a garage to pull the top off and experiment with neighbor's and friend's vans lowering top to see if I can finagle it onto something newer.... Chevy Express or Ford Econoline I think I have completely gone insane but I am determined to do this. I have been studying other builds on here and I think I can do it. Anyone ever do this? Anyone have any advice? This appears to be a hundred banana job.....

vickieleee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 03:57 AM   #2
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Re: Anyone attempt to put PH top on different model van?

Sorry your question has gone unanswered these past few days VickLeee but let me take a shot at it........

Your idea suspending the top for trial fitting on another profile is very sound----it would greatly simply not only that trail but making templates for re-contouring that top to another van roof. I'm completely guessing most American vans would have a similar profile so modifications to the existing might be minor.

First step would be putting your idea into motion and inviting other van owners to temporarily park in your fitting room. Once you know what differences you'll encounter how best to proceed should pretty much lay itself out all on its own.

Please let us know how this goes----BTW we love photos of your progress beginning to end here!
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 08:13 AM   #3

I'll make a feeble attempt at injecting some sanity here......

Performing a top-ectomy from a donor van is a fairly involved job.....you'll need at least a come-along ($20 at Harbor Freight), a few guitar strings or other stiff wire to "saw" through the butyl on the roof, and a handful of burly friends to lift the top off....not to mention the basic tools to undo things.

It took a full day (like 10+ hours) to remove the top from a donor van on my project....the process would go much faster knowing what I know now.......

The re-install on the newer van took longer....several days, lots of ordering stuff, and the stress of chopping the roof off correctly.....that was with a top designed for the van.....

The other thing to think about is what are you going to do with the old van with a giant hole in the roof? In my case the van owner, a young guy was content to drive it around with a giant sunroof and perhaps scrap it when the van finally dies......for all I know he could still be driving it today.....doesn't rain much in So Cal.

In your case, you need to figure out where to cut the new roof off, and then do some fiberglass reshaping, etc.

Not sayin' it can't be done, but it may make sense to sell the old van and buy another with a top already on it....
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 09:05 AM   #4

Vickielee: How wide is your Dodge top? If it's wider than a Ford that could be a showstopper since the Ford top sits right in the rain gutters on the very edge of the roof....

If someone with a Chevy could measure the width of theirs, that would also be good info for you.

I can measure mine possibly over the weekend...
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 09:07 PM   #5

Don't know if I can help here but I just pulled an xl top off an airport shuttle bus e350 at the local yard. It's reverse flange and currently on sawhorses in my back yard as I'm polishing up the gelcoat. If you need any measurements just let me know.
bcaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 08:54 AM   #6

Hi,

Dodge roof lines and sizes don't change with the body re-design. Same roof for 20 years.

The world is swimming in used Dodge vans. Pick up a dry one of a similar year no swap the top easily with no modifications to the top. And gain lots of spare parts!

Lots of photos on a Ford swap by boywonder:

viewtopic.php?f=24&t=11764

My Dodge roof swap:

viewtopic.php?f=24&t=8775&hilit=B350+4x4

6 bananas tops...

Regards,

Gavin
Old 10-08-2015, 04:36 PM   #7

I did on a Ford E350 put a EB roof on a RB body.

I lifted the pop top on the RB to see what needed to be done to adjust.
Luckily it was not to fare off so I decided to mount it.

If it would not have then I would have sold the pop top and find an other option.

Your best chance is to lower the roof on on the selected vans and see how they fit.
AndrewST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 11:27 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewST View Post
I did on a Ford E350 put a EB roof on a RB body.

I lifted the pop top on the RB to see what needed to be done to adjust.
Luckily it was not to fare off so I decided to mount it.

If it would not have then I would have sold the pop top and find an other option.

Your best chance is to lower the roof on on the selected vans and see how they fit.
Hey AndrewST I'm trying to put an EB on my RB Ford. Any suggestions on how far the cut on the back of the roof by the gutter should be?
DFarkas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 02:00 PM   #9

I transferred the pop top from a 93' E150 to 02' E350 and it went pretty well. Took about 10 hours total with a "sled" to slide the top on to. I'd highly recommend do that, as it made the transition very easy. Rather than lowering it to the ground and then picking it back up. I was able to slide it off and on with just two people.

As far as putting it on another type of van, I'd be concerned the top would seal well.