Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-04-2018, 01:40 PM   #1

Question Auxiliary Diesel Tank Options for powering Espar/Webasto/Planar

Planning on purchasing a diesel-fueled heater this week (either Espar, Webasto or Planar), but my van has a 5.4L so I can't tap directly into the fuel tank. Gas-fueled heaters are out of the budget, so I need ideas on what I should do for an auxiliary diesel tank. The best option I've seen imo is Glider's 2.5 gallon RotoPax that was mounted inside the van.

Any good options for mounting a RotoPax/Jerry can externally on the rear bumper w/o having an Aluminess bumper that won't blow up my budget? I have an Aluminess Tire Rack and was thinking I could potentially leverage that, but would risk some spacing issues with my bike rack.

IG: @shreddie_bettie
PulseofdaNation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 02:08 PM   #2

my two thoughts.

1. Make the gas version work. It's more money, but once you get everything else setup for it, you'll colose that price gap pretty quickly. Not to mention you will reap the convenience of it for the years to come.

2. A brand new propane tank and suburban heater are the same price as a diesel heater. If I were you, i'd probably go this route.
bemerritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 04:23 PM   #3

Gas fueled van, gas fueled heater... what I would do.
Diesel van, diesel heater.
And had three other E350s...
Bbasso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 08:47 PM   #4
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF
Ya, I agree with comments so far. Simplify your fuel sources and save yourself a bit of a hassle in the future. Trying to source one fuel source let alone 2 can sometimes be a chore as not every station has diesel. I just eliminated my propane and went all diesel and electric.
At the very least, as mentioned, I’d consider a propane system for your rig, to run heat and you can use it for your cooking stove, and you can add an extend a stay tap before your regulator for an outdoor stove to run from your tank.
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 10:07 AM   #5

I like 'common' as in 'they sell a lot of them', easier to just copy some tried and true set up, parts are easier to get, and typically less expensive to purchase. Gasoline fired heaters aren't very common.

I don't like the RotoPax inside, as I feel pretty strongly about keeping the fuel storage outside the van (safety), Diesel fuel fumes stink, and hang around for years after the smallest of spills. If you might be adding a cooktop at some point, I'd go with propane for heat, propane tank underneath, as that setup is pretty common.
Old 12-05-2018, 11:00 PM   #6

How about a small outboard tank on the roof, or under the van? They come in a huge number of different sizes and shapes from 3 gallons to 30. They have fuel fittings already installed with quick release's, fill caps and are inexpensive. Fabricate a shelf under the van with a quick release retainer so you can easily remove it for filling.
https://www.westmarine.com/portable-fuel-tanks
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 07:44 PM   #7

Ended up getting a SmittyBilt Jerry can rack and attaching it to my rear passenger door and then a 5-gallon Jerry can from the local hardware store. Drilled a small hole in the cap, ran the fuel line and then used some JB weld to seal the hole up! So far, so good (fingers crossed)!

IG: @shreddie_bettie
PulseofdaNation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 04:09 PM   #8

Can't help with tank but interested in other people's ideas.

But if you're looking at Webasto and Espar, look at Wallas too. Have a wallas furnace on a sailboat and it's awesome, low amp draw, easy install, much quieter than espar or webasto. They also make sealed no open flame diesel stove tops that you can cook on or use for heat.
basssears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 07:48 PM   #9
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF
I looked into the Wallace diesel stoves for use in our van, I loved the idea of running single fuel source by eliminating the propane system and the fact that they can be used as a heat source with the available accessory lid/fan. I read some accounts of people having issues with them running properly at higher altitudes, they tend to clog or soot up.
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 07:51 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by REF View Post
I looked into the Wallace diesel stoves for use in our van, I loved the idea of running single fuel source by eliminating the propane system and the fact that they can be used as a heat source with the available accessory lid/fan. I read some accounts of people having issues with them running properly at higher altitudes, they tend to clog or soot up.
Well you've got me there... we LOVE our Wallas and couldn't live without it, never had a single hiccup with it, but it's in our sailboat in Washington, so by definition permanently at sea level so no idea how it would work at altitude.
basssears is offline   Reply With Quote