Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-20-2013, 03:59 AM   #1
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Awning Help Advice Suggestions

Hope to describe what I need or more accurately want......

'03 E250 EB used only as a work van, occasionally need/want some sort of awning that can be opened to cover the side swinging and rear hinged doors, mostly to keep rain, snow and sun out while I'm on a job. Self contained, easily deployed and retracted with hand action, free standing, wide enough to span the doors when opened, extending outward no more than 30". They could be mounted directly to the roof if required.

I've looked at various RV sites and Google-searched for RV awnings but most are too big for what I need/want. Any suggestions or experience with such a thing would be welcome. I'd like high quality with robust mechanism's although they'd not see a lot of bad weather.

Thanks in advance!

JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 06:17 AM   #2

Re: Awning Help Advice Suggestions

Well, the Fiamma F45 fits the bill for the side doors, although at full extension it extends out more than 30" (you can crank it out as much or as little as you want, though). SMB sells them, GoWesty.com sells them, etc. Pricey, though, at around $800. Occasionally they pop up used here.
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 07:40 AM   #3

I love the Fiamma idea as well, all except for the price. The only problem though is that they don't mount right up against the body of the van, so rain would still come down the side and drip in your door (as I see it, someone correct me if I'm wrong). I chose a bag awning like pop up campers have, but it wouldn't fit your needs of easy or quick deployment. What I like about it is it is in a rail on the side of the van roof so no water gets underneath the edge ever. Good luck JWA, I think there are some tradeoffs here and no perfect solution.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 07:55 AM   #4
JWA

Thanks Scotty and Brian----appreciate the thoughts!

I've found Carefree Awnings but they too seem a bit too large for that image in my mind.

I might daydream an idea or two, if one looks promising maybe mock it up and see how practical or impractical this might be.

Any other ideas always welcome of course!
Old 08-20-2013, 08:52 AM   #5

Garage

saw a mini awning in this gents thread: viewtopic.php?f=24&t=11600

he doesnt go into any detail about it, but you might inquire about it for info??
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 09:07 AM   #6
JWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenrie
saw a mini awning in this gents thread: viewtopic.php?f=24&t=11600

he doesnt go into any detail about it, but you might inquire about it for info??

Posted a reply to his thread---we'll see what he used----thanks for the heads up Shenrie!
Old 08-20-2013, 09:27 AM   #7

Garage

no problemo

i also looked for another thread that i have seen in the past that a gent was building and he had a awning off the back that was pretty damn cool. iirc, he was into surfing and had board holders on the side etc. looked perfect for what he was using it for but i cant seem to find it now
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
Old 08-20-2013, 09:32 AM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenrie
no problemo

i also looked for another thread that i have seen in the past that a gent was building and he had a awning off the back that was pretty damn cool. iirc, he was into surfing and had board holders on the side etc. looked perfect for what he was using it for but i cant seem to find it now
That was probably Ray's setup.

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=11017

Herb
Old 08-20-2013, 09:40 AM   #9

Garage

^^^ thats exactly the one i was thinking of!
Old 08-20-2013, 10:57 AM   #10
JWA

Great links guys!

If nothing else I'm getting a brainstorm of sorts that might be an alternative if nothing is available that suits my needs. The surfer's links were very helpful as far as helping me envision something I might have to build all on my own.

These you've shown me so far would be great additions to any van camper set up. They'd greatly expand your living space and be easy to haul too.