Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-14-2017, 11:35 AM   #1

Bench seat bed hinges

Hi, i'm slowly building up a cargo van in to a camper, i want to build a 50 style interior but i'm having trouble finding a quality bench seat hinge, i took a look at 86scotty´s thread but i don`t think those hinges are strong enough, i would like something design for a car so it would hold up better in an accident.
The only ones i was able to find are german made (branded reimo) but they don`t sell outside of germany i also found the on an spanish store with a little more detail (they also don`t sell outside spain)
here are some screenshots of that last page:
Click image for larger version

Name:	Captura de pantalla 2017-07-14 a la(s) 13.21.31.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	87.5 KB
ID:	17031

Click image for larger version

Name:	Captura de pantalla 2017-07-14 a la(s) 13.21.44.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	67.2 KB
ID:	17032

Cab anyone help me with a store for something similar in the US?

Thanks.
Francisco.

Francisco Coddou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 08:21 AM   #2

How about using the hinges and frame from a vw camper van seat? It folds flat camper 50 style into a bed. The frame may need some modification to make it wider for your application but it's very stout and has lap belts built in. I'm sure shoulder belts could be easily adapted. I have one that I used as a temporary seat for the kids before I got my Toyota Sienna seats.
sscott3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 08:55 PM   #3

VW vanagon hinges will fold flat to height of bottom cushion. VW Bus hinges will fold flat at ~3" higher than height of bottom cushion.
Try Bus Depot for Bus hinges. Try thesamba.com Classifieds for vanagon hinges.
You could try a Google search on JustKampers rock n roll bed for a Bay Window Bus to get schematics.
This'll bake your noodle, https://campervancrazy.wordpress.com...-construction/
This'll make ya loose sleep. https://www.google.com/search?q=rock...w=1201&bih=716
Sorry. Am I helping?
regis101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 10:06 PM   #4

Yep^^^ I think you're helping. That's exactly what I was going to suggest.

By the way, the ones I have are pretty strong. They will be used on a bench placed under the factory drop down belts and the bottom part will be bolted to the floor. Anyway, that's the plan. That project has been back burnered for awhile.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 07:52 AM   #5

I"m also keeping an eye open for some couch hinges. Except with my floor plan the couch is going to be mounted against the side wall. So the bottom needs to slide out. I may end up fabricating something because I'd like a good sized bed when folded down, about 48" x 72". Most RV couches I've looked at are too narrow.
sscott3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 10:14 AM   #6

Thanks for all the help.
What do you guys think of this design:

it looks simpler, compleatly diy, and easier to reinforce, i have two little girls and this design seems to offer more possibilities for better protection i can even weld latch catches for their chairs in to the frame.
I think that the down side is more weight and less space under the seat, plus you have more cushoned surfaces, that could be look as good or bad, the cushon on the seating could have more ergonomic shapes and the seat belts would not get in the way of the bed but having it twice uses more space.
Opinions?ç
Thanks.
Francisco Coddou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 10:37 AM   #7

That's a cool design. I wish I could understand him to know more.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 09:38 PM   #8

Garage
Under that seat is one of our prime storage areas. But our seat isn't crash rated. When our kids were little we had the same one. We use our van more as an RV, not a daily driver.