Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-09-2017, 11:51 PM   #1

Bigfoot is a keeper

As some of you know from a thread I posted last month, I was just about done with the idea of finishing this van. Thanks to the kind words and encouragement I've decided to trudge forth and see this one through.

I bought Bigfoot from a kooky old man who was a self proclaimed bigfoot enthusiast. Actually gave me the proper protocol if I encounter one, sweet fella. It was an El Kapitan conversion, and with grand intention and extreme naivety, I gutted the whole thing to start fresh. After months of trail and error with beds and flooring it sat like this for most of last year.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4722.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	108.9 KB
ID:	14535

I did a few things, though sloppy, that have worked. Solar panel, roof vent, insulation. But for the most part just got frustrated. But I'm now taking things one project at a time and living with the fact that I might have to do them and re-do them before I get it right. So I did a rough draft of sorts for a trip out to Sedona a few weeks ago. Quick bed install from a cheap frame I bought from Amazon. Impromptu cabinet/table on the door and proper flooring.

Name:	IMG_4741.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	101.3 KB
ID:	14536

Name:	IMG_4760.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	110.1 KB
ID:	14533

Name:	IMG_4792.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	107.0 KB
ID:	14534

I'm pretty pumped to keep going! But now I have the task of a new high top. The current one is leaking and I've wanted to replace it with a 24" bubble ever since I got the van. I've got a long road trip in February, so I'm in a bit of a time crunch.

I contacted Fiberine and was given a bit of the run around. They dodged the question of matching discountvantruck.com prices, and said they typically won't do installs on vans that currently have high tops on them. They asked for pictures of the inside of the top to determine if they would do the install. That was last Wednesday, and despite several calls and emails, they haven't responded.

So that begs the question: Does any one here know of a company, or person, local to Southern Ca. that does fixed top installation? I've spent hours combing through the forums and couldn't find anything. I'd love to just get the top from MSD, but I lack the space, man power, tools, skills and time to do it myself. Any guidance would be much appreciated.

*sorry for the sideways pics, can't figure out how to rotate them

Hotchkiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 06:56 AM   #2

Do you know where the top is leaking? Quickest solution would be to have it repaired by a boat shop. Probably cost you way less. That would get you through your road trip. Then you could spend more time finding the right option for a new top.
Nrobert10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 07:04 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotchkiss View Post
I've got a long road trip in February, so I'm in a bit of a time crunch.

I contacted Fiberine and was given a bit of the run around. They dodged the question of matching discountvantruck.com prices, and said they typically won't do installs on vans that currently have high tops on them. They asked for pictures of the inside of the top to determine if they would do the install. That was last Wednesday, and despite several calls and emails, they haven't responded.

So that begs the question: Does any one here know of a company, or person, local to Southern Ca. that does fixed top installation? I've spent hours combing through the forums and couldn't find anything. I'd love to just get the top from MSD, but I lack the space, man power, tools, skills and time to do it myself. Any guidance would be much appreciated.
Howbout a roadtrip to Fort Collins to see MSD?

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 08:45 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nrobert10 View Post
Do you know where the top is leaking? Quickest solution would be to have it repaired by a boat shop. Probably cost you way less. That would get you through your road trip. Then you could spend more time finding the right option for a new top.

I've found It's no good to obsess on your van right before bed.

After about an hour of so lying there, thinking way to much about this. I decided to do just that. We've got some more elusive rain here tonight, so I'll start the process of elimination. I have a feeling the culprit is the awning.

I think a trip to MSD in the spring might be in order.
Old 01-10-2017, 09:55 AM   #5

It wont be the cheapest option, but you could get the top Line-X'd or rhinolined. A cheaper option to that sort of product would be to get the raptor liner and do it at home or at a buddy's house.
Old 01-10-2017, 10:39 AM   #6

Garage
What swing away hitch are you using with your 1upUSA bike rack? I just Raptor lined my top and it came out great (not the best color match but still looks good). Not sure you would want to do all that work if you want a taller top anyway this summer. I love my mega top and having the extra bed for me was a must with 3 little boys.
nemesisnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 02:34 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemesisnight View Post
What swing away hitch are you using with your 1upUSA bike rack?
Its the hitchswing from Wilco Off Road. LOVE IT! The one pictured is a prototype, the production models don't sit as tall.

https://www.wilcooffroad.com/shop/hitchswing/

located the leak this morning. One of the awning mounting bolts was the culprit. Also heard back from Fiberine, they were apologetic for the delay and worked with me on the price. Mailing the deposit today and in about 2 weeks Bigfoot will be ready for walls and ceiling. Should be quite the learning experience.
Old 01-10-2017, 06:21 PM   #8
MSD

Garage
Thanks for thinking of me… looks like his time line won't work. I just sold my last SB fixed top the other day so no more until I do another run. I might add that the last EB will be leaving the shop next week. So it'll be time to offer up a pre-order and get more tops in…

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty View Post
Howbout a roadtrip to Fort Collins to see MSD?

1997 E350 7.3l 2wd - Sold
MSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 09:17 AM   #9

Garage
"I bought Bigfoot from a kooky old man who was a self proclaimed bigfoot enthusiast. Actually gave me the proper protocol if I encounter one"

Am I the only one that wants to know the proper protocol for a BigFoot encounter!??
ebflow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 09:35 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebflow View Post
"Am I the only one that wants to know the proper protocol for a BigFoot encounter!??
I've come close to meeting one, but had no idea what I would say or do if we had come face to face. I found this print just outside Juneau Alaska in Taku harbor.
Attached Thumbnails
yeti foot print.jpg  
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote