Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-19-2017, 08:19 PM   #31

If your door panels aren't going to be bowed, 1/8" or 1/4" (I used 1/4" covered with boat decking).....If you need to bend/bow....1/8" is the ticket.

2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 08:38 PM   #32

Most helpful info... thanks!

Pretty much everyone will step on their 'willy' once in a while.
I usually make it a point to stop and put on my golf shoes first..
E-rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 09:20 PM   #33

I know this isn't related to the thread particularly since we are discussing higher quality Baltic birch, but I shot these prices and profile views at Lowe's tonight when I walked by. They don't have the 4x8 sheets right now but sometimes they do.

Anyway, notice the (lack of) quality.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 04:06 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty View Post
Anyway, notice the (lack of) quality.
Even before reading the comment, the first thing my eye went to was the pics. I thought 'Wow, look at all the little voids'. Then I also noted the thin face layer.

The edges (and even the face) of cheap Home Depot grade plywood can look like crap, but the b/bb grade Baltic I am considering can have an attractive face, and even a reasonably nice edge, if it is well sanded and beveled.

Old 01-20-2017, 09:29 AM   #35

Yep, the 3/4 I've used has some nasty voids too. I've been able to make it work quite nicely and it's what I will continue to use for the price, at $40 or so per 4x8', but it is not the same quality as the good stuff. I'll be buying some 3/4 pretty soon and will add to this thread. In fact, I have lots of scrap now and will try to remember to post some pics.

Old 01-20-2017, 09:51 AM   #36

I've bought 3/4" oak plywood from Lowes and it was pretty good. But generally, yes, the sheet goods there aren't too good.
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 10:38 AM   #37

I have found Lowes and Home Depot to be very comparable, though Lowes (at least around me), seems to have slightly better quality lumber. Not a huge difference, but if prices are comparable, I'll go to Lowes first if I have a choice.

Old 01-26-2017, 05:45 PM   #38

OK, looks like I will be heading thru NY on Monday during the day, so I am hoping to stop and pick up some Baltic Birch at the place in the Bronx (5/8" is 29.25 for a 5x5 B/BB, other thicknesses are roughly comparable).

I have read of some recommending 1/2" (in Baltic) as being adequate for a bed platform. The main part of the platform (for our torsos) will be 54" wide (full size width) and 55" long, with a second (thinner) piece to make up the balance of the length for our lower legs and feet. I am thinking I could go 5/8" unspanned for the main platform, or I might be able to use 1/2" if it is supported in the middle (at about 27" between supports).

As an aside, we are not dainty.. I am 6'3", 200+, and my wife is 5'10". I am open to opinions on thickness choices for the platform..

Old 01-26-2017, 09:42 PM   #39

Choosing wood for all new interior build...

1/2" should be plenty if supported but I'd do more than one support. 2 minimum. I'd do at least one for a 3/4" bed platform that size.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-26-2017, 10:05 PM   #40

Totally agree with 86Scotty. You are going to want a couple of supports. There is nothing wors that a sagging bed support.
larrie is offline   Reply With Quote