Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-27-2017, 05:08 AM   #41

Right now, my main decision is which thickness to buy. I was leaning towards the 5/8", with the only question being how much support it would need. We can test it out and make changes on that aspect once construction begins. This is new territory for me, and as always, I appreciate the feedback and suggestions.

The project still won't be for a couple of months, but I plan to document. Would a rather primitive bed and seating project be worth posting?

Pretty much everyone will step on their 'willy' once in a while.
I usually make it a point to stop and put on my golf shoes first..
E-rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 09:57 PM   #42

I think I am going to get 5x5 sheets in several sizes and test them before I make a decision and start cutting. Prob get 3/4", 5/8" and 1/2". I will support the whole sheets off the ground and She-rex and I will sit on them and bounce to check for flex and sagging.

Based on your input, I am now considering thicker, and I could go as high as 3/4". Thinker will allow me to get by with less under bed support, making very valuable storage space less clunky.

Old 01-28-2017, 07:36 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-rex View Post
I think I am going to get 5x5 sheets in several sizes and test them before I make a decision and start cutting. Prob get 3/4", 5/8" and 1/2". I will support the whole sheets off the ground and She-rex and I will sit on them and bounce to check for flex and sagging.

Based on your input, I am now considering thicker, and I could go as high as 3/4". Thinker will allow me to get by with less under bed support, making very valuable storage space less clunky.
I know just what you mean and I think I've said this already in this thread but the 3/4" birch ply 4x8' sheets from Home Depot (or wherever you can get them) are hard to beat. That way you have no more than one sheet, assuming your bed doesn't need to be over 4' wide. It's very strong and very light for it's strength. As mentioned before, perhaps a few more voids than the high dollar baltic birch 5x5's but that's never been a problem for me except on one or two of the 50 or more cabinet panels I've made. It's usually just when I hit a void at the edge of a cut and have a nasty corner, not as big of a deal on a huge bed panel if it happened.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 12:38 PM   #44

That touches on one of the unexpected benefits of the Baltic birch- the 5'x5' size.

I was 'raised' on 4x8 being the universal standard size for a sheet of plywood. When I saw Baltic was offered in 5x5, that seemed at first to be really odd. In the case of this project, that 'odd' size will turn out to be a bonus. Since the main part of the bed (supporting our torsos) will be 54"x55", the 60"x60" size will allow me to build the main platform with no seam, and the added bonus of limited waste.

Prices just went up a little, with the 3/4" @ $1.56/sf coming out to $39 for a 5x5 sheet. (4x8 would come out to $49.92). Guessing that those prices, Baltic is roughly comparable to HD's birch. Since I am driving thru the city on Mon anyway, no significant inconvenience in picking up a few assorted sheets of Baltic.

I have never worked with Baltic before. Years ago, I thought of Home Depot's 3/4" AC plywood as being good quality. These days (based on increased pricing), BC has become my 'go to' grade for standard projects. I am eager to see how Baltic compares..

Old 01-28-2017, 08:54 PM   #45

Our one piece bed is something like 3/4" x 42" x 68" and made from Home Depot birch plywood. My concern was not the strength in the middle of the bed but at the ends where one would first climb up and be on. So the 6" strip that was trimmed off the side of the sheet was used the reinforce the ends making the 1.5" thick. That has worked out fine for us. Not only have my wife and I been in the bed (maybe 360 lbs) we have also had three grandchildren climb up at the same time in the morning (maybe another 180 lbs).

1st pic end of bed. 2nd pic reminds that all weight is on the end of the bed when you first get on it.
Attached Thumbnails
29ij.jpg   3b3.jpg  

The Green TARDIS
LenS is offline   Reply With Quote