Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-01-2017, 08:43 PM   #241

Yep, that black looks great. It's one of only 3 I know of.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 09:11 AM   #242

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcaine View Post
Showed the picture to my wife just to prove I wasn't the only one with those crazy van requests.

Two miles from your place = Basilone exit?

Every post I see with your location makes me think of surfin doughnuts.

Great work on the van.
Yup, the quick drive to San O is always a good time.

I have been eating surfin donuts my whole life, just brought in a dozen to the office last week and one of my coworkers who does not eat donuts had to have two.
bemerritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 09:15 AM   #243

So I am getting some work done on the roof rack. Debating between the following two configurations:

I think I would rather not have the maxtrax up top, just because they are not light and I think I am going to mount them to the side of the van.

Problem with the first configuration is the corners of the solar are covered. I have read that the whole pane's efficiency is reduced by the percentage of that single cell being covered, so obviously that is not ideal. I think about a 2" space would give me the clearance I need.
Old 08-02-2017, 10:53 AM   #244

Quote:
Originally Posted by bemerritt View Post

I used a small punch, smaller htan a standard hole punch, to attach the rubber seal.
Did you have to use a hole punch because the raptor liner filled in the holes? I didn't think about having to plug the holes.

I'm sure it's somewhere in this thread so excuse me for not taking a thorough look, but what mounting hardware did you end up using for the top? Did you use washers on the outside or go with something custom like Gooseberry's custom bolts?
Old 08-02-2017, 11:15 AM   #245

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyview View Post
Did you have to use a hole punch because the raptor liner filled in the holes? I didn't think about having to plug the holes.

I'm sure it's somewhere in this thread so excuse me for not taking a thorough look, but what mounting hardware did you end up using for the top? Did you use washers on the outside or go with something custom like Gooseberry's custom bolts?
Somewhere in here i post a pic of the top bolts i used.

THe hole punch was for the gasket. I plugged the holes in the fiberglass before spraying.
Old 08-02-2017, 11:17 AM   #246

Quote:
Got my roof bolted on last night and have been driving it around as my daily. Man those springs are loud shaking around, i guess thats why they had all that padding in there!

Put the bolts thru the top, below is the assembly I used

the large washers are slightly smaller than what sportsmobile uses, and I just traced out butyl for the first two washers. The top washer is a self sealing stainless from mcmaster. This way I can change out the bolt easily if needed for longer lengths when Ido the interior.

Got the fron "seat belts" bolted in. There has to be a better way, right? I a msure someone on here has some thoughts on the matter. I also need to figure something out for hte rear, as the seatbelt was broken. However, I have talked to several people that they never buckle the back down

Hopefully will finish off the hardware tonight, as i needed some bolts the right size and whatnot. Then focus switches to raptor lining the roof, then attaching the canvas this weekend!
here they are
Old 08-04-2017, 08:17 PM   #247

Quote:
here they are
Thanks! I'm curious why you didn't go with a single large washer? If I understand all the reading I've been doing on here, having so many layers is one of the weaknesses of the way they're mounted from the factory, prone to eventual leaks. Did you put them on the way you have it pictured with the bolt going down into the interior? My original ones go from the interior out, with nuts on top.

I also just noticed your roof is completely flat on the top. Mine has channels. I guess it's an old/new design difference?
Old 08-05-2017, 09:12 AM   #248

My theory was that the large washer disperses the pressure, small washer with butyl then closes the large hole that the big washer has in the middle and the third washer is a self sealing type that I can easily remove if needed.
Old 08-05-2017, 09:42 AM   #249

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyview View Post

I also just noticed your roof is completely flat on the top. Mine has channels. I guess it's an old/new design difference?
SMB Indiana did some flat roofs. I'm not sure if anyone else did. It's not old/new, just something they tried for awhile.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 08:43 AM   #250

Got my rack up yesterday, pretty happy with it overall.

and most importantly, the top still raises with no assist. I tightened the springs and the front goes up a little tilted because of the panels, but it works.

THe rack is strong enough for me to walk on the back part. The front support is a little more towards the middle of the top due to the shape of the van, so i dont trust my weight up there. But now i am thinking of some sort of recessed wire rack/walking platform for the back area.