Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-23-2015, 03:12 PM   #51

Re: Clifford - 1998 E350 Build

So after the summer fun, I had to get the van ready for Burning Man. Here is how it was setup for the trip:

Two 100 watt panels up top with the yakima racks. You can see the 4" port in this picture as well.

Control panel. Shows voltage, amps being used by the 12 volt distribution and amps being used by the inverter. I wanted to show the amps being pulled in by the solar panels, but could not get the wiring right with the shunt. So i guess I will have to buy the display for my controller.

View out the back

I can fit 6 boxes under the bed. You can also see the sealed battery and inverter in this pic

Dual zone fridge/Freezer between the seats. It just barely fits. Awesome for feeding teh driver snacks while on the road.

It's nice having two zones, in this pic they are both set to 40*. But bringing frozen meals vacuum sealed is awesome for long camping trips.

How we drove the 1500 to and from the desert

What camp looked like. Had to have the sleeping area of the van in the shade, but the panels in the sun. We had a divider in the van blocking off the sleeping area that the swamp cooler kept below 70 all week.

And one fun picture. The wife and I about to go out and serve drinks out of our R2D2 kegerator, with our pet alien, on the back of her pink, furry trike. Not exactly something that happens everyday.

Thats it for now. Soon ill post the next steps for the van.

bemerritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 04:13 AM   #52
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Re: Clifford - 1998 E350 Build

If you're heading to Burning Man in the R2D2 attire you'll look like accountants right?

Actually you both look to be having fun and that's all that matters!

Like your van's very minimal build out too----with your shade for camping that looks to be an easy set-up, comfortable during your stay---very nice.

Safe travels and good clean fun along the way!
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 11:23 AM   #53

Well, the time has come. Just got off the phone with John from Agile Offroad and we are planning on getting the 4x4 done early september. Can't wait to fulfill the dream haha.
Old 07-13-2016, 11:44 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by bemerritt View Post
Well, the time has come. Just got off the phone with John from Agile Offroad and we are planning on getting the 4x4 done early september. Can't wait to fulfill the dream haha.
You won't regret it!
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 12:21 PM   #55

Location: Rancho Nuevo (Cabo/Todos Santos) B.C.S. and San Diego, CA
We are looking forward to seeing you and that cool Red Ryder in September.

You are going to enjoy all that 4x4 opens up to you!

AgileOffRoad.com
BajaSportsmobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 09:35 AM   #56

So my wife and I have decided to put a little more money into it and try and create more of a people mover/camper. She didn't want to limp along and add stuff here and there. Fine by me. So looking to add the following once the 4x4 is done, and have some questions on some of the items. In rough order of installation

- Aluminess rear bumper. Still contemplating the exact setup. But thinking two boxes, one for the genny. Mount tire underneath

- Aluminess front bumper. Is a winch really needed for light 4x4? Would like to get off the beaten path and get to those sites away from people. But would a Hi-lift and other recovery gear be good enough?

- Sportsmobile Penthouse top. How important is the electric top? Seems liek an easy way to sake money. Still deciding on what rack system I want. I currently have yakima raingutters that i could use, but then it means I have to mount the solar panels to the top. Aluminess rack means All of the holes can be outside the canvas. hmmmm.

- Looking at the Samlex Solar EVO-2212-12A Evolution Series Inverter/Charger. One thing I have realized is you never want to skimp on the battery/electric control side of things. May be overkill, but i need a new inverter/charger anyways, want to run some sensitive electronic equipment, and really like all of the custom controls. Also like the fact that I can run the solar thru it.

- Still deciding on a compressor. Storage will be tight since I want to have plenty of room for passengers. So I want to go mounted. Thinking of the ARB CKMA12 Air Compressor with a viair tank.

- Two toyota sienna captains chairs. Is MGM the best way to get swivel mounts?

- Sportsmobile dinette in the back. This will let me end up transporting atleast 8 in seat belts and sleep 4. Hoping the lead time on this isn't too outrageous since its the only thing besides the poptop i want done.

- CRL windows on both passenger and driver, rear and front. Can't wait to cut into the side of the van for these haha.

- Will do the interior myself. Want some wood paneling on the sides, with as much storage, while still keeping an open concept.

Looking forward to a busy winter preparing for a 2 week roadtrip next spring!
Old 07-25-2016, 11:04 AM   #57

Good choice on going with Agile!

As far as electric top, if you're planning on getting a rack and solar installed on top, I would think electric is the way to go. I had an extended body van with manual top and solar and it was kinda tough to pop up. If you plan on storing gear up top, then you wont have to take it down to put the top up.
Old 07-25-2016, 11:04 AM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by bemerritt View Post
- Two toyota sienna captains chairs. Is MGM the best way to get swivel mounts?....
Not any more. The Sienna seat mounts will now be manufactured and sold by Ujoint Offroad. Contact Chris to get on his list. I hear they'll be making a batch of parts in the coming weeks.
mgmetalworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 11:26 AM   #59

Thanks for the tips. And ofcourse I just discovered the Ujoint roof rack which looks perfect for my use, now just need to find out f you can mount it to the penthouse top.
Old 07-25-2016, 04:13 PM   #60

- Aluminess rear bumper. Still contemplating the exact setup. But thinking two boxes, one for the genny. Mount tire underneath

Nothing much larger than a stock E250/E350 passenger tire will fit in the factory location, under the rear between the frame rails. The most likely place to get a puncture and need that spare the most is on some remote desert fireroad with the odd sharp rock or cactus through the sidewall. If you opt for a locker in the rear differential, most designs don't like mis-matched diameter L&R tires. You'll want a matching full size 4x4 spare.

Of course, the minute you spend all the money, add a spare tire to the rear swing away (and give up that second box) you'll never, ever get a flat as long as you own the van!