Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-03-2016, 11:05 AM   #81

This was posted a few weeks ago and I think is one of the best designed folding seats I've seen. The group buy deadline has passed, but it might be something to look into and it looks to be around the price you were willing to spend at SMB.

http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...bed-17630.html

Old 08-03-2016, 06:26 PM   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by bemerritt View Post
Thanks for the heads up on the sofa. Unfortunately i take off for Europe in a couple of days, otherwise, I'd be there.

You guys have convinced me to not do the SMB option. Even shop4seats has some certified benches for a fraction of the cost. However I think I will take it slow and try and find one. The big push is from the mrs to make it safe, so that's why i headed down that route.

2explore - your van is the major reason why i want the super camper! Finalizing what I want fiberline to do and then I am going to order it. I figure the two main points against them on this forum are the paint fading and it leaking. So it sounds that if I install it myself and have the whole van painted, I'll be a happy customer.
Thanks...and I just realized you had asked about the paint job on my build thread. I've had no problems with leaking and with the full paint job there won't be any fading issues as you said. Feel free to PM me with any other questions.
2xplore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 11:35 PM   #83

http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...tml#post181470
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 12:44 AM   #84

Thanks for looking out! It never ceases to amaze me how awesome the members are here.

It looks as if I'm getting in on the group buy for the tri fold from Europe. I'm a sucker for cool things, and that bed seemed to fit the bill.
bemerritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 07:18 AM   #85

Sweet! That'll work!
Old 08-12-2016, 09:56 AM   #86

Quote:
Thanks for looking out! It never ceases to amaze me how awesome the members are here.

It looks as if I'm getting in on the group buy for the tri fold from Europe. I'm a sucker for cool things, and that bed seemed to fit the bill.
Nice! Can't wait to see it installed. Looks like its the most functional design and it looks comfortable since the back is the surface you sleep on and its completely flat.
Old 08-16-2016, 10:14 AM   #87

Advice needed on power connection to the outside of the van. As a last minute van project before heading up to Burning Man, I want an easy way to charge my house batteries via Honda 2000.

I was planning on getting this:

https://www.amazon.com/Samlex-EVO-22...verter+charger

Like I said, I will be charging via Honda 2000, so the easwiest way would be to mount a 15 amp standard 120v male receptacle on the outside of the van. Like this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

However, thinking future, is it worth going for a 30 amp twist lock? I have spent exactly one night in an RV park, and recall only twist locks being available. I primarily plan on charging from the generator, or standard wall outlet in the garage.

So my question is, do i do a 120v socket, fuse it for 15 amps and carry a twist lock to 3 prong adapter cable

or

Mount a twist lock receptacle and carry a 3 prong to twist lock cord. Fused to 30 amps. Pretty sure i can program the charger what max draw to take from the power that i can manually change depending on the situation.

Thanks for the input!
Old 08-16-2016, 02:32 PM   #88

Quote:
As a last minute van project before heading up to Burning Man
I won't be there this year, but make sure to stop by Popoville for Mystical Magical Mai Tai's and Margarittas, tattoos and games. 5:15 & H.

- 2005 EB50 6.0PSD - SMB 4x4
pjpvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 11:03 AM   #89

Finally, time to let John and Agile work there magic! Dropping off the van on Saturday

Here is what I am having them do
- 4x4 install
- 17" method hole black wheels
- 33" KO2's
- Rear aluminess bumper with box, backup lights, shovel/axe
- Front aluminess bumper with shackles, hella 500 fog lights
- Bushwacker flares

I am still deciding about:
- warn 1200 winch
- viair onboard system
- switch pro system

Some questions for those that have experience and/or opinions on the matter

1. I see that there is an aluminess front bumper that has square holes for LED's. Is this the way to go?

2. While I plan on doing moderate 4x4 to start (as i have little to none experience), it seems like I would hate to need a winch and not have it. Best to just pony up and get it from the beginning?

3. I don't want to carry a portable compressor, and tire pressure seems rather important to get the best ride, so pony up and get the onboard air installed? John has sent me pics of an install they did on the drivers side rail that looks real nice, with ports on the bumpers. It seems a little overboard, but with already a trip to the pismo dunes on the books and many others, it seems like the right move.

4. Electrical. If I have learned anything, it's spend the money and do it right. I am working on a diagram, but below is what I have planned:

- Samelex solar EVO-2212 with remote
- Still deciding on what isolator/separator solution I want
- 200 watt solar
- Solar charge controller
- Fridge, lights, etc

So, with having a fair amount of things to switch on/off and planning on adding exterior lights and maybe a lightbar, is it best to plan ahead and setup a sawitchpro system? The last thing I want is a bunch of aftermarket switches everywhere for a compressor, fog lights, light bar, etc. Also, would it be best to connect the switchpro downtstream of the isolator/separator, so that I can power all of these items off house battery when needed. But when driving, it will be essentially powered by the alternator. Does that make sense?

I still flip flop daily on a CCV high top and a super camper. Hoping to stand in some soon and make a decision. That will force my hand into if i go with a roofrack. but I really am liking the ujoint modular rack setup.

As usual, let me know your opinions, even if you completely disagree with what I am doing! Way too much time thinking about it, and even more money getting spent, so want (read: have) to get it right the first time.

- Brian
Old 09-07-2016, 12:34 PM   #90

Quote:
Finally, time to let John and Agile work there magic! Dropping off the van on Saturday

Here is what I am having them do
- 4x4 install
- 17" method hole black wheels
- 33" KO2's
- Rear aluminess bumper with box, backup lights, shovel/axe
- Front aluminess bumper with shackles, hella 500 fog lights
- Bushwacker flares
Sweet!

Quote:
1. I see that there is an aluminess front bumper that has square holes for LED's. Is this the way to go?
I would, if possible.. The Hella fog lights are pretty useless. But, they may have already ordered the standard bumper and can't change.. But ask John.

Quote:
2. While I plan on doing moderate 4x4 to start (as i have little to none experience), it seems like I would hate to need a winch and not have it. Best to just pony up and get it from the beginning?
I use mine as insurance.. but I only paid $300 for my Harbor Freight 12,000 model.. Three years plus later and it still works great. Strong enough to break my 30,000 lb rated Arachni line on Sunday.

Quote:
3. I don't want to carry a portable compressor, and tire pressure seems rather important to get the best ride, so pony up and get the onboard air installed? John has sent me pics of an install they did on the drivers side rail that looks real nice, with ports on the bumpers. It seems a little overboard, but with already a trip to the pismo dunes on the books and many others, it seems like the right move.
Onboard is the best way to go.. but it ain't cheap. If you can afford it, go for it. Being able to air down easily makes you more apt to do so, which means you'll have a better ride whenever you get off road, and won't get stuck like I just did.

Quote:
4. Electrical. If I have learned anything, it's spend the money and do it right. I am working on a diagram, but below is what I have planned:

- Samelex solar EVO-2212 with remote
- Still deciding on what isolator/separator solution I want
- 200 watt solar
- Solar charge controller
- Fridge, lights, etc

So, with having a fair amount of things to switch on/off and planning on adding exterior lights and maybe a lightbar, is it best to plan ahead and setup a sawitchpro system? The last thing I want is a bunch of aftermarket switches everywhere for a compressor, fog lights, light bar, etc. Also, would it be best to connect the switchpro downtstream of the isolator/separator, so that I can power all of these items off house battery when needed. But when driving, it will be essentially powered by the alternator. Does that make sense?
You can debate electrical forever, there's so many options. But the switchpro is pretty sweet, I wish I had installed one. But they're expensive, and not a necessary item.

Quote:
I still flip flop daily on a CCV high top and a super camper. Hoping to stand in some soon and make a decision. That will force my hand into if i go with a roofrack. but I really am liking the ujoint modular rack setup.
Apples and oranges basically. High roof allows more inside storage, more insulation, easy standing height to stop for lunch, etc, but limits offroad clearance, and has no real usable top bed, so you have to use the gaucho downstairs. The poptop allows a 'living room' are and a 'bedroom' area.