Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-25-2013, 08:42 PM   #1

Close to a build start. Insulation Question.

Like everyone else before they sign up, I've been lurking for a while, and as things are getting closer to realization on my project, I thought I'd turn to you all for some quick advice/input. It's a two parter so bear with me...

**Edited the vehicle info out, I couldnt bring myself to really consider the 04 for $13K, even with 11K miles.

My insulation question still stands though...
Has anyone used the Ultra Touch Cotton insulation in their builds? Ive heard good things about it, the closest dealer to me is four or so hours away so I haven't been able to check it out in person. It sounded like a good possibility. If not, I'm open to recommendations. I have some friends whove used reflectix under ply in theirs, seems to be pretty common.
The inside will be my own build, nothing too insane right now. Surfboards and camera gear so i can work, (area for board storage, possibly the interior roof), and a place to store my clothes and food etc., a small desktop area to work, and a spot to sleep. The rest will be up top in yakima cargo gear I have. A few exteriors ladders as well as rear tire carrier and front brush guard with lights. Thats about it for now. Though i know these roads well, and im sure ill be thinking of adding things right when i have the van in the driveway. Just preparing now, while hunting for a van to start in on in the next few weeks.

Any insight is appreciated.
Best,
Bryan

btbowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 09:03 PM   #2

Re: Close to a build start. E350 Extended Question

You can get a lot of van for 11k.

With the 5.4 (My 2000 E250 extended has the 5.4) you're getting about 14-15mpg. My brother has an '08 E350 and says he gets about 18 highway with it packed full of middle schoolers (they've got 13 kids!!).

My van seems to have plenty of power, but I haven't towed anything with it. I think you need to consider what you're going to do with it. If I was doing a lot of towing, or had her loaded heavy (camper build), I'd probably want diesel.

My van is for a kitesurfing school, so she's only got one seat and a couple benches, so perfect for my needs.

I'll report back on how she tows my 25' Sailboat. That's a LOT of boat. Gonna put it in the water this week. Hoping the 5.4 has enough grunt to get her backed into the water on the ramp.

The water was lower when I pulled it out, and it took two F150's hitched in series to get it out.

Good luck! - S
smshield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 09:57 PM   #3

Price seems high to me. Your talking about 50% of new, but that van is approaching 10 years old. You can probably get close to that price if you search hard for a van coming off a 3-yr lease.

Also, these vans seem to have more problems sitting (fuel pump and stuck calipers are the biggies when they sit) than if you drive the snot out of them.

Will you ever want 4x4? If yes, you may want to consider a V10 or diesel with the TorqueShift transmission. You don't have to drop the pan to swap the tailshaft housing if it has the TorqueShift.
Old 03-25-2013, 10:16 PM   #4

Thanks guys. It seemed high to me too for an 04, and it made me wonder a bit if it hasnt been sitting for a long time as you mentioned.
I think I may end up looking abroad and if I have to go pick it up then that I'll do that.
Old 03-28-2013, 04:42 PM   #5
Site Team

Re: Close to a build start. Insulation Question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by btbowie
...My insulation question still stands though...
Has anyone used the Ultra Touch Cotton insulation in their builds? Ive heard good things about it, the closest dealer to me is four or so hours away so I haven't been able to check it out in person. It sounded like a good possibility. If not, I'm open to recommendations. I have some friends whove used reflectix under ply in theirs, seems to be pretty common....

Bryan
Sorry for the slow response. While I didn't use the Ultra Touch in a van build, I did use the foil backed Ultra Touch to make insulating panels for the penthouse walls, and for each of the windows inside my SMB. Easy stuff to work with (cut to size, and then I edged it with white duck tape folded over the cut), and it seemed to insulate really well, with no harmful chemicals that I was aware of. I believe I bought it from Summit Racing.

Herb
Old 03-28-2013, 05:52 PM   #6

It has been mentioned before but Reflectix is not really insulation, it's a radiant barrier. Works very well as that but it does not in itself provide any significant insulation. Other than vacuum panels or Aerogel, foam panels are the most effective in providing insulation per inch. They are easy to work with and can be had with a radiant barrier on one surface. They are somewhat flexible, easy to cut and can be stuck on easily. Plain pink fiberglass is ok, though messy. Packing it in and compressing it makes it more effective and it is cheap.
witoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 10:51 PM   #7

I have QuietRide in my van and it seems to do a good job of insulating. The kit comes with some Dynamat strips along with insulation and is pre-cut to fit the vans if you order it that way. They made a custom section for me for my hard top so it is insulated as well. I have no problems in 30 degree temps keeping the van in the 60s for sleeping with the smaller Espar D2 set about at half.

I also use Reflectix on the windows as it provides privacy and some barrier to the cold.
Eric

2000 Ford E-350 7.3L Quigley 4x4 hard top with custom interior by Xtreme Fab - Sold
KTMRIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 08:26 AM   #8

Thanks to everyone for all the info!
Makes this build less of a headache.
Now I just need to find the van after the last one sold the day I was headed to see it.
KTMRIDER: Thanks for the heads up on the QuietRide, I hadn't even seen it. Looks like a good option.