Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-26-2011, 10:40 AM   #1

Send a message via Yahoo to dave_in_delaware
Countertop height??

I have a few related question for everyone here that I've been pondering for a while, and could use everyone's help, regardless if you bought an actual SMB or built one yourself. I'm looking for everyone's opinions and experiences here.

Keeping in mind that the standard height for a residential kitchen countertop is 36" (in a regular home), yet SMB's countertops (for Galleys and Storage Cabinets) are only 28" high for Ford/Chevy and are 32" high for Sprinters:

- Do you think 28" is too low and/or too uncomfortable? Or is it just right?

- Do you think 32" is also too low? Or it's just right?

- Do you think 36" is too high? Will it put things too close to the "roof beam" (structural reinforcement from cutting out the roof)? Would 36" high counters block the view from the rearview mirror while looking out through the back windows?

- Do you think it really doesn't matter, as the counters aren't used that much anyway (compared to normal use at home)?

As an architect, my initial gut instinct for my cabinetry was to have 36" high countertops. But SMB doesn't make them that high (actually, for the Ford, they're 8" lower). Maybe I should compromise and make them 32" or 34"?

Thanks for any input and experience you have to offer.

Homebuilt RV Project: Design Phase is 80% Complete! (but on hold until I win the lottery)
Ford E-350 EB w/ Cruiser Top, Flip-down "Gaucho" sofa/bed, custom cabinets, AGM batteries, solar panels, water heater, fresh/gray water tanks, sink, porta-potty....
dave_in_delaware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 10:55 AM   #2

Re: Countertop height??

Hi;

I prefer countertops at 36" because I am tall. That said how often are you going to spend hours inside your Sporty chopping veggies or doing the dishes. The idea is to be outside chopping veggies and doing dishes!

Higher tops do lend themselves to larger volumes of cabinet space below.

It wouldn't surprise me to see the counter height set at the point of maximum van width thereby allowing maximum counter area and larger windows.

Regards,

Gavin
Old 08-26-2011, 12:51 PM   #3

I'm guessing that my counters are about 32" with the height being dictated by the size of our 4.6 CF Isotherm fridge. This height is very workable, but with a penthouse anything much higher could become a pain as you lose the working height between the counter and the portion of ceiling that remains static (penthouse bed rail, etc). Since you are doing a fixed top you have much less to worry about - having the extra storage in under the counter is nice!
Old 08-26-2011, 01:53 PM   #4
Site Team

I've the exact same question as you and getting closer in the build to when I'll need to have an answer. One thing I was going to do is get some cardboard boxes and mock up a cabinet at the different heights inside the van and see which one "feels" right.

Once I exit Hal, this is what I do.
https://larry.wvnet.edu/~van/pics/lic...late-small.jpg
WWW.WVBIKE.ORG
WVvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 06:07 PM   #5

Countertop height??

My 89 Ford has a penthouse top and 28" counters around the two burner stove and sink. The being drives me nuts every time I use them.

Am looking at ways to make it better but am concerned that raising the stove will put it to close to the roof structure and upholstery up there. There is already a stainless steel heat shield directly above the stove. That tells me that SMB was concerned that the upholdstry would get to hot.

Larrie
89 Ford RB
larrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 06:31 PM   #6

great question. i put lots of thought into this myself.

im boondocking without a camper top. so mostly seated when using sink, micro, stove or actual desk.

for me, im going with desk height, around 28-29 inches. with a depth of 24. this puts it in the perfect spot of the vans beltline to maximize the open floor area too as i can have the 24 depth without it sticking out halfway into the van

at home, i currently have a cheapo ikea desk top that is about 1.5" thick with screw on legs that are 27" high. i plan to recreate these dimensions for all of my flat surfaces in the van as this is very comfy for me. im 5'10".

im scouting out an uber comfortable office chair like the ones i have a work. i grabbed one to test and i had about 3-4 fingers of head room.

not exactly the safest for cooking but im not making 7 course meals or anything. have to be real careful and have things as secure as they can be.

if i were able to stand up, i would seek to install cabinets at the standard height but i would still have a section at desk height for a...well...desk
Old 08-26-2011, 10:45 PM   #7

Garage

Our RB50-ish build will have 36" high countertops. Our previous camper van also had close to 36" high countertops. It does put the stove pretty close to the shelf above. We will have a high top to it's not a problem. I have to sort of duck to see what's near the back of the counter, but my wife doesn't have that problem.

If heat from the stove is a concern, the bottom of the shelf can be covered with sheet metal.
Old 08-27-2011, 05:55 AM   #8

28" is where the widest part of the van is. I plan to live full time in mine, if I can keep it running . I figure in bad weather my top will be down and I will be using the counter seated. Good weather, top will be up and I will be outdoors. My stove is removable, so I can use it both ways.
Old 08-27-2011, 09:38 PM   #9

Send a message via Yahoo to dave_in_delaware

Thanks everyone for the replies and feedback!

I'm 6'-0" tall, so I don't want my countertops to be too low that I have to bend over to use them comfortably.

And no, I'm not planning on using them for chopping veggies for an hour or anything like that. LOL. As long as there's nice weather outside, I'd be doing all kitchen work and cooking outside anyway. That's the whole point to the RV, right? Enjoying the outdoors as much as possible. But I still want the counters to be at a decent comfortable height. Standard residential kitchen height sounds like a winner to me.

I think with the 36" high countertops, storage space under them would be pretty much maximized. Although, I'm planning on having EVERYTHING inside the van (all plumbing, HVAC, and electrical), so much of it will be on the floor in every nook and cranny inside cabinets that I can find. So, the added height to the cabinets will supply me with the storage space I need, at least I hope so!

Homebuilt RV Project: Design Phase is 80% Complete! (but on hold until I win the lottery)
Ford E-350 EB w/ Cruiser Top, Flip-down "Gaucho" sofa/bed, custom cabinets, AGM batteries, solar panels, water heater, fresh/gray water tanks, sink, porta-potty....
dave_in_delaware is offline   Reply With Quote