Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-22-2016, 11:43 AM   #11

Cross bars for roof? E350

I have a set of Thule raingutter towers for sale. They are the mid-high-rise version. They have locks but I can find the key (keys available from Thule for $10). I'll figure out a price if you are interested and take some pics.

BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 12:00 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by winmag4582001 View Post
Think I may go with this:
Ironton Multi-Fit Van Rack — 500-Lb. Capacity, Steel | Van Racks| Northern Tool + Equipment
I plan on splitting 1/2" fuel line to cover the feet so I don't get metal-metal pressure. Has a 500lb capacity so it can handle any basket I bolt to it.
Beauty is a distant second to function. IMHO

I got these cross bars for my roof, then ended up putting a Ujoint rack on instead. They are brand new and you can have them if you want to pick them up in Golden. PM me for my address. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002MABL4...oding=UTF8&me=

Cheers
bb121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 02:57 PM   #13

Cheap Yakima mod

I love Yakima for its versatility and durability. I've been reusing some parts for 20 years. You can find used 1A towers for your van on cl, Craigslist, goodwill, etc. Hers a tip: instead of buying new 66" bars, buy any length available (used) and either cut or augment to the length that you want. Join two Yakima round bars with galvanized 1/2" pipe sections. Every bar is a little different. On some bars the 1/2" pipe will slide in, and I coat the 1/2" pipe with epoxy and let it set completely before mounting. Other bars are a snug friction fit. Either way, I use 18" sections of 1/2" pipe, wire brush the joints, clean with alcohol, and cover the joint with black sugru. Done!
Skidmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 06:17 PM   #14

Garage
I have 3 1a racks with the big cross bars. Mine has the contempo top and I just used Thule rain gutter attachments like you see on truck canopies. Works great for 6 years now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 12-25-2016, 02:39 PM   #15

I'm going to assume that since you are talking about gutter mounts that you do not have a pop top. One thing you might want to consider is if you plan on adding an awning in the future. If you do, then consider how you plan to mount it. The separate mounting brackets like the ones sold in the group buy on this site will not work with Yakima because the towers get in the way. Thule is tight, but will work if you replace the big knob hardware with standard nut/bolt hardware. Or the ladder type racks look like they could be drilled out on the side and the awning mounted directly to those side plates.
Old 12-25-2016, 03:56 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallDee View Post
One thing you might want to consider is if you plan on adding an awning in the future. If you do, then consider how you plan to mount it. ...ladder type racks look like they could be drilled out on the side and the awning mounted directly to those side plates.
That is one of the reasons I am leaning towards a used ladder rack. They will be taller than a Thule / Yakima tower, and the higher the mounting point (and the steeper the angle I can build in while maintaining headroom), the less likely the awning will be to collect a lake and fail in a big rain..

Pretty much everyone will step on their 'willy' once in a while.
I usually make it a point to stop and put on my golf shoes first..
E-rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 09:12 AM   #17

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1der View Post
To address wind noise - consider wrapping the leading bar(s) with paracord. Secure at one end of the bar and wrap with about 2" spacing to the other end of the bar. This breaks up the vortices created bar the bar moving through air.

Good luck!
I'm a bit late to the thread, but I did this. It's mind boggling how well it works. Our rack used to howl like the devil above 40 mph. The paracord made it nearly silent.
Wanderlust Bus is offline   Reply With Quote