Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-22-2010, 09:06 PM   #1

custom Penthouse ideas

Hello,
I really want to have a penthouse top on my van, but I am not ready to spend $5388+394 at sportsmobile. This is half the price of the van itself!! So I called fresno and asked them if they would sell me the lifting mechanism only but they won't...
Building the roof is not an issue. I can make something pretty light, strong and durable with a sandwich of thin plywood, foam core and fiberglass. The whole lifting system will require more thoughts...I am already pretty inspired by the pictures I see on this forum but the details are not clear yet..
since I am building a whole top, I was wondering why not going the full roof length?? (I have a RB) and make the pop roof even above the cab... I don't have to cut the roof above the front seats, but I can extend the roof to look more integrated... And then my fabric has pretty much the same dimensions as a SMB penthouse.My forward "wall" would be right behind the seats.
that way I can make a nice curve that goes from the top of the roof to the windshield.
It could look roughly like this

What do you think? Any obvious advantage or inconvenient?
what if I do cut the roof above the cab? do I really gain some practicability or am loosing to much structure and safety?By your experience, would you like having more headroom in the front?

thanks
JT

jtolittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 09:42 PM   #2

Send a message via MSN to bettyford
Re: custom Penthouse ideas

I admire your ambition.
I think if you cut to much of the roof out it would weaken the structural integrity as you said. I like the idea of the top going all the way to the windshield, with the cut behind the driver seat. it could just be for cosmetics and less wind resistance.
I have been thinking hard on this same issue. Trying to decide what to do over the last 2 month and not wanting to spend 5grand. Today I have bought a Westfalia pop top I really like the design and don't need the height in the back as mine is all bed. I even get to take a quick road trip to go get it in Seattle.

I really look forward to seeing what you do.

Ron
Old 03-22-2010, 11:14 PM   #3

Look through this post: http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/vie...hp?f=24&t=2327 has the best Custom PH on this forum!
Old 03-22-2010, 11:47 PM   #4

Yes, I have seen this one and it is really impressive....But too ambitious for me. Plus, i only have 4-5" of clearance to get out my garage...so it will have to be low profile...
Thanks for the info
JT
Old 03-23-2010, 10:36 AM   #5

I like your idea of the top going all the way forward. It eliminates one of my gripes - water puddles in the channels in the top and when I hit the brakes it rushes down on the windshield. Morning dew accumulates enough to irritate me.

I might put the soft wall forward also. Then you have a shelf inside when the top is up.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 11:55 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettyford
I have been thinking hard on this same issue. Trying to decide what to do over the last 2 month and not wanting to spend 5grand. Today I have bought a Westfalia pop top I really like the design and don't need the height in the back as mine is all bed.
Ron -- this sounds very interesting! My design is a bed at the rear as well, and I don't want to spring for a SMB PH.

How/where did you source the Westfalia pop-top? And will you document your installation here -- please?

Thanks!
Old 03-23-2010, 12:15 PM   #7

what about the roof of a vw westy attached?

www.thesamba.com has a couple of beater westys that you could salvage the top

$1,000 to $2,000

just a thought.....

or if you want a fixed top, cut the bus in Half and .......
billwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 12:30 PM   #8

Send a message via MSN to bettyford

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyDawg
Quote:
Originally Posted by bettyford
I have been thinking hard on this same issue. Trying to decide what to do over the last 2 month and not wanting to spend 5grand. Today I have bought a Westfalia pop top I really like the design and don't need the height in the back as mine is all bed.
Ron -- this sounds very interesting! My design is a bed at the rear as well, and I don't want to spring for a SMB PH.

How/where did you source the Westfalia pop-top? And will you document your installation here -- please?

Thanks!
I have been looking for a top for about 5 months and just got lucky and stumbled onto this one. $700 for the top and i will install it myself. Yes I will be posting my progress.

Ron
Old 03-23-2010, 12:58 PM   #9

JT,

I am thinking exactly the same way and am currently designing my own poptop.

Am waiting to receive an offer for a custom made fiberglass top.
Regarding the lifting system, I plan to do a cisor mecanism with gas struts that I have seen in european rooftents that I sold. Am currently looking with that manufaturer for the side walls also.

If I do a decent work, maybe a few more could be build.

A swiss guy might want one...
AndrewST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 08:30 PM   #10

Andrew,
Who did you ask to for a custom fiberglass roof? What are they going to use : monolithic or sandwich construction? It will probably be quite expensive, it is a lot a labor. And they will probably build it "one-off" so no mold, which means should have them spray an epoxy primer on top and then paint it instead of the regular gelcoat. It would be even more labor to wet sand the gelcoat and make it shiny...
And you want to have 2 gas shocks on each side? i am curious about this system, can you tell me more please?
Thanks
JT