Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-16-2016, 05:47 PM   #141

I did some odds and ends today, also made my "dresser" which is just a small box for my clothes. It doubles as a step for the dog to get in the van as well.

I put the tv mount up and hooked up the antenna.

Here's where I put the antenna. I just used velcro.

Gatorbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 07:40 PM   #142

I did some more electrical work today and started working on the black aluminess cab in the back. I put in the shelves. I'll get lights on the inside and move the license plate to it tomorrow. This is gonna hold all my flammable stuff, tools, and spare parts.

Old 01-17-2016, 10:01 PM   #143

Looks great. I sooo envy you
Old 01-21-2016, 08:12 PM   #144

So I found this solar powered landscape led light kit at harbor freight for like 10 bucks. I thought it'd be perfect for the back box. So I tore it apart and put it in. Pretty straight forward. I just took the solar panel out and re-soldered it back to the board. Drilled a hole and siliconed it down nice and flush looking.

I also found a 4 led light at harbor freight for like 7 bucks. It has two levels of intensity and runs off 6 AAA's.

Ran the cord for shore power to the inverter and filled in the gaps around the box.

And since I was keeping fuel and butane in my cabinet I drilled a couple holes for a vent and covered it with some cheap handle from HD.

I moved the license plate to the top of the box so you can see it when the dirtbike is on the back. I also put in a light for it to keep the cop'ers off my back.

I cut the back drivers side panel out and put the air hose and I'll put an electrical cord and some dog bones for 30A and 50A connections.

Old 01-31-2016, 08:06 PM   #145

So I'm getting really close. In the final stretch.

I made a little box that fits under my bed for all my clothes.

I also bought two big totes that fit perfectly in the back. One's going to be a bunch of random stuff and my summer clothes and the other is going to be my motocross stuff. My helmet and boots fit perfectly right next to it too. Packed tight.

I found a hitch extension at HF for cheap so I figured I'd test it out and see what it's like. It would be nice to be able to open the back fully with the bike on there. However I think it might be a bit much. Maybe if I'm cruising around places softly and planning on opening the back often. :dunno: What's your guys' opinion?

Started working on the plumbing and heaters too. I have an Espar Airtronic D2 and a Hydronic D5S. An easy start 7-day timer and a digi max D1000. I'm not sure which unit will go to which controller yet. I have a high altitude sensor too that needs to go in-line with the Airtronic. I'm not sure if the Hydronic needs one too or not. But it came with no literature and the literature that's online is outdated. I assumed you just connect like colors, but apparently that's not the case.

So the water heating system uses a heat exchanger. I have to tie into the coolant lines and run them back to the Hydronic unit. The unit heats up the coolant and runs it through a heat exchanger then back to the engine. This way I can heat up my block and my water system at the same time. It's passive as well so I shouldn't need the heater if I've been driving and the engine is hot. Furthermore, I won't need to plug in the block heater in cold weather.

Tying into the coolant lines.

inline valves

The mounted heater and pump

Back to the heat exchanger. The water lines go straight up through the floor.

The pump and accumulator.
Old 01-31-2016, 09:36 PM   #146

Any concerns to have your Hydronic so close to your exhaust? Might wanna consider some kind of heatshield?

With your inline valves I would remove the handles and keep them inside the truck so there's no chance to change the setting inadvertently (then you just use the handle to open or close as needed).

I built a very similar system but haven't finalized it yet.

Must feel good to be at the end of the roll, looks great!

Cheers
David
1965 Econoline Travelwagon
A few bicycles...and sandals ;)
Abitibi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 09:18 AM   #147

"I found a hitch extension at HF for cheap so I figured I'd test it out and see what it's like. It would be nice to be able to open the back fully with the bike on there. However I think it might be a bit much. Maybe if I'm cruising around places softly and planning on opening the back often. :dunno: What's your guys' opinion? "

Man, that would scare me. I've hauled dirt bikes a million different ways including on hitch racks and that's just way back there. The only way I would trust a piece of steel from Harbor Freight not to give is if it were solid, as in not tubing but completely solid. I like Harbor Freight but I know their metal and welds aren't great. Also, to give another example, I had a 4 bike (bicycle) rack on an extention behind my van for a family trip. I hit a railroad crossing somewhere that snuck up on me and it folded from the 'whip' effect. And that was just probably 100 lbs. of bicycles hanging out there! I can't imagine what would happen with a 250 lb. moto. At the very least I would add a big strap from the frame or the bars of the bike down to your receiver while on the road to give you a fallback if something gives out. Good luck, it is an awesome looking setup.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 09:41 AM   #148

Yeah the more I look at the less I like it. I have trust issues lol.
Old 02-01-2016, 07:45 PM   #149

Got a bit more done today. It got dark before I could snap some pics of it all done. There's one leaky connection at the thermal valve because the o-ring isn't sitting right, but other than that the system works pretty good. I bought some post hangers that I'm going to put by the valves up front by the shackle.

Old 02-02-2016, 12:12 PM   #150
ctb

Garage
Send a message via AIM to ctb
Man so great! Creative and a nice touch to detail and cleanliness (even OCD awesome!)...We have traveled with a Rola Hitch carrier (adventure series with a big-ole plastic container...crap and more crap...we don't take it anymore! if you see our last AK trip you can see, even after weld/repair, we have a big strap and rope on it to help with the frost-heave torture) on MANY trips...and on almost EVERY trip when we are on it or when we get home, the tubing is tearing from the brackets area (welds are nice but the hollow tubing is not strong a ALL) and LESS than the suggested max weight...both trips to Alaska in the MDX and Sporty, we had to get it re-welded b/c we would start to see the unit drooping a little, and with each gas stop, we see a little more, a little tear, turns into a huge tear, panic, stop, spend $50-$75 on the re-weld, and rest of trip worry a little instead of enjoying the drive...Any possible way you could design a rack that would carry the bike on a diagonal , like an I-beam that places the front wheel close to the top of the van, rear wheel close to the hitch, on the diagonal? I drew up a sketch but can't seem to get it 'posted' without a 'url' address...anyway good luck!! can't wait to see what you came up with, b/c your build is cool and entertaining to see it progress! Ps. We are heading to FLA at the end of the month...a VERY different trip for us! We usually go west for the openness/mountain/desolate fun....but this time we are staying in campgrounds the entire time?! In no particular order, Talbot Island S.P.,Tomoka S.P., Flamingo N.P., St. Andrews S.P. and Blackwater River S.P.....looks like (from pics) that we will actually camp/see people on this trip?! Anyway, restaurants, Seafood shops (especially), and things we should def. see? We've been down to the Keys years ago and snorkeled, fun, but probably not driving all the way down this time...anyway, thanks in advance! Chris/CTB
ctb is offline   Reply With Quote